After days of trying everything I could possibly think of trying, I now have my manual working in Windows 8, well sort of Windows 8 anyway. What I did was install a virtual machine in my laptop that runs Windows XP with IE 8. I then put the manual in the virtual machine and can view it there. It has no affect on my Windows 8 when not running the virtual machine, and very little affect when running the virtual machine. It was really a simple solution, and took no time at all once I figured out the components needed. If anyone is interested in a writeup on the complete procedure, I can try to get one written up and distributed. The information is out on the web, there's just a few little quirks that took me a little while to figure out. The biggest of which is the fact that the files have to be in the virtual machine, not a shared folder from the host(Windows 8) in order for the manual to work.
It's been a while since I have been on here, and I think I remember not being able to PM. I think you have to have people give you points or something, so if you would like to give them to me, and get me to the level of PM'ing, I could PM the instructions when I get them wrote-up. Other suggestions are welcome to.