DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
Gossamer is on a distinguished road

i'm looking at running a 285/65 or something comparable. Like I said, nothing extreme.

I'll have to think more on the other mods that truck has...as it's not really part of my question, I'll save it for another thread.

I appreciate your thoughts and can see what you're saying. Thanks for responding. Really is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Okay, so nothing huge... MT or AT? There's obviously a difference in weight between the two which will effect it. You'll probably be okay running the spacers, just be sure to check them every so often. I would pull the wheels off every couple thousand miles and check the spacers and retorque them. That way you have a good idea of what kind of shape they're in and how they're standing up. It's possible the set up will work for you and is so, good on ya... But if not be prepared to pull them off and possibly replace wheel bearings and such.

No problem man! That's what a forum is for. Good discussions like this always yield learning and a better understanding of what's going on for both sides. Questioning ideas or concepts is never a bad thing in my book, you learn a lot from it.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Okay, so nothing huge... MT or AT? There's obviously a difference in weight between the two which will effect it. You'll probably be okay running the spacers, just be sure to check them every so often. I would pull the wheels off every couple thousand miles and check the spacers and retorque them. That way you have a good idea of what kind of shape they're in and how they're standing up. It's possible the set up will work for you and is so, good on ya... But if not be prepared to pull them off and possibly replace wheel bearings and such.

No problem man! That's what a forum is for. Good discussions like this always yield learning and a better understanding of what's going on for both sides. Questioning ideas or concepts is never a bad thing in my book, you learn a lot from it.
Most likely AT...I don't like to listen to the hum of tires like I used to with my Jeep.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So, I did some more research and found something that was more scientific...it supports, to some degree, my initial thoughts and those I've read since I started this article. In any case, this might be beneficial for the rest of you who were wondering.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...s_spacers.aspx
Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: white
Rep:10
mygt8a4re is on a distinguished road

Hahah, thats great, that article has been on the maximum motorsports website for years. I remember seeing it years ago when I purchased some of thier suspension parts for my mustang....as I mentioned in my last post, I have used them on a few vehicles problem free. I never purchased cheap pieces, only high quality parts. I had a pair on the rear of my first mustang that was putting around 400hp to the wheels and I was running drag radials. Ran them for about a year before I went totally drag and purchased different wheels....
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road

Got a question about clearing the wheel studs.

Would a 1.25" wide wheel adapter clear the studs? I really don't need anything wider for the wheels I want.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygt8a4re View Post
Hahah, thats great, that article has been on the maximum motorsports website for years. I remember seeing it years ago when I purchased some of thier suspension parts for my mustang....as I mentioned in my last post, I have used them on a few vehicles problem free. I never purchased cheap pieces, only high quality parts. I had a pair on the rear of my first mustang that was putting around 400hp to the wheels and I was running drag radials. Ran them for about a year before I went totally drag and purchased different wheels....
So, here's my issue...if you can run 400hp on a car with adapters and others race with them, I have to imagine the stress on a truck can't be more unless under serious load. I don't tow anything appreciable and don't off-road ever. I'm not trying to talk myself into this or out of it but I'm still waiting for some "real life" issues to crop up. I saw the video earlier in this post but can't use one instance as my predominant decision maker.

I spoke with a local truck shop who does a ton of dealer work and he says they put them on "all the time". Not to mention, dually's come with them from the factory, in some cases. AND, in my research, there is an entire market for commercial vehicles, some of which are diesels that haul crap all day long. IDK, this is tough. I think I'll send it to myth busters. They'll test it right.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: white
Rep:10
mygt8a4re is on a distinguished road

Heheh, the real world tests would show the cheap inferior material pieces to fail and the quality parts to hold up fine. Back when I had started using them I never heard any horror stories and knew several people using them for different reasons on different vehicles. It wasnt untill the last set I used and while on topic of adapters at a forum, that I heard a couple people posting "beware, your wheels will fall off". If you buy cheap, low quality pieces maby you will have a problem...you get what you pay for, cheap isnt always better...