DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

For the record, I, too, am a perfectionist and certified OCD.

I purchased mine, on a Thursday, with my husband in tow (yes, that cliche of 'Dealers don't take women seriously' is very true.. they tend to think I am not knowledgeable - boy was mine surprised!). I inspected the aesthetic aspects and my hubby inspected the mechanical. We noticed only a handful of things...
-A black scratch on the passenger side of the rear chrome bumper
-A CRAP LOAD of adhesive all over the driver's side rear of the cab, continuing and wrapping around onto the rear glass
-A blue scratch on the inner paint job, underneath the driver's side rear passenger door handle (we think this was caused by one of the sale's assistants who we know to wear blue finger nail polish)
-A very nice half dollar sized dent on the lower part of the tailgate (hubby said it was probably due to someone lowering the tailgate while something was sitting on the bumper - my first pick up, so I didn't know to think of that explanation)
-And to top it all off, the truck was overall just plain FILTHY, in and out (I mentioned this to our salesman and he said they would wash it 'inside and out' when they took it to prep for us while we finished up the paperwork)

So, when we arranged the appointment to have the spray in bed liner done on the following Tuesday, we made a point to work the schedule so we would drop it off early on Monday so they could take care of these imperfections (and also do the prep work for the liner so I would only be stuck in a Chevy Cruze loner for more than one day! I will certainly be more picky when presented with the 'Do you care what type of loaner you drive?' inquiry!)

When we left the lot, I couldn't believe how dirty it still was. Didn't they say they were going to clean this?? I dropped hubby off at home and returned to the dealership where I had them run it through their wash and told them to add a full detail to the To Do list for the Monday appointment.

We picked it up on Tuesday afternoon and inspected our list of issues to ensure all was done.
-The bumper scratch was gone.. couldn't tell there ever was one.
-The door handle scratch.. same thing.. gone.
-The adhesive.. close but no cigar. Hubby said it looked as though someone got a little too aggressive in one spot and damn near took the clear coat off (and still didn't get all the adhesive! LOL).. so around back to body dept we went.. they cleaned it up no problem and, once the truck was parked in the sunlight, you couldn't see the over-rubbed area (I referred to it as a coffee stain in appearance). Hubby says it isn't a big deal (he did body & fender work for 10 years, so if he says it's good, it's good )
-The tailgate dent.. their dent removal guy wasn't available Monday or Tuesday, but I did get in touch with him on Wednesday and he stopped by the house and (after waiting for the sunlight to come out) he had that dent out in short order (wish he was my dealer, so easy to work with!). I also got an added bonus from this... I learned how to remove the tailgate (which on my rig, included learning how to lower the spare and how to disconnect the rear camera harness and feed that through a hole in the bottom of the bed).

All in all, we still have a slight 'coffee stain' looking mar on the rear driver's side corner of the cab. But, only we can see it because we know where to look. Nobody else will ever notice. And it isn't going to cause any issues down the road (cosmetically or mechanically) so we will live with it.

It all comes down to what makes you happy. Yeah, we are all born and raised to expect perfection, strive for perfection, etc.. but the cold hard truth is nothing and no one is perfect. It is also true that if you go looking for, or expect to find, a problem.. you will eventually find one. I have personally decided to leave well enough alone and not go on a witch hunt with my new rig the suspect. She's perfect, in my eyes.

I hope what you see as imperfections get fixed, and I would highly suggest contacting Chrysler directly if you keep getting what seems to be a run around from your local dealership.

Just my two cents. Best taken with a grain of salt.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
HULK3D is on a distinguished road

Sounds like some good advise from everybody. I had a few minor marks on HULK3D when I got him from the dealer and I just cleaned them up myself. It's just apart of life. Smile and enjoy the ride. Have fun.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

For those of us with the silver trucks. The paint gun was not held at a right angle to the panels being painted. This is what causes tiger stripes, that and poor overlapped spray pattern.. Classisc noob mistake imo and Dodge should rectify. For the rest of you guys with scratches, a little wet sanding and some buffing will make it better than new, My father showed me how to do this on his last gen Monte Carlo SS. Car was black as could be. After 8 years or so of age, even the most experienced eye prob. could not find the areas he polished out. Simp[ly amazing for 30 minutes of work. The initial cost of the proper polisher/buffer and compounds are the only drawback. They last a long time though.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram quad
Color: gray
Rep:321
bartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the rough

lmaooo so you think there is a guy holding a paint gun painting new trucks ? good luck !

all robotic .......
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: true blue
Rep:10
sport2012ak is on a distinguished road

the best cleaner for the interior I have found is turtle wax ice comes in blue and silver bottle and use microfiber towels
Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

Over the years, I have noticed that no matter what vehicle it is in lets say the sub $80k price (probably in higher than that too but, I've never had occasion to very closely inspect the finish of anything over $80k in price) there are paint imperfections. The most common I have noticed is orange peel, used to bug the snot outta me.

At any rate, unless a finish imperfection is large, or it presents a problem that could lead to future corrosion issues, I honestly don't worry about it anymore. Same goes for interior stuff, I have owned vehicles before where even trying to clean them damages their interior materials. Thankfully this is not the case with my truck (I literally was scrubbing mud off my door panels last week) so, I am happy!

I would (in theory) love to have a perfect vehicle but (in practice), no vehicle I've come across is perfect, even when new, and sure won't stay that way long when it is put into use. I used to try to keep my vehicles perfect, very OCD about it but, now I've realized that I have to let things slide a little or I'll drive myself crazy! (literally "drive" myself crazy since most little blems come from the vehicle being driven, LOL!)

So, I say any big issues, or issues that will effect the vehicle in the long term should be dealt with but don't worry about the little stuff. Additionally, bear in mind that the repairs to "fix" the small imperfections will likely end up making larger imperfections.

Last edited by Trail Whale; 01-24-2014 at 02:43 AM.