DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 DODGE RAM Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
SIC09 is on a distinguished road
Default Should my MPG be better then this?

Hey guys, so im looking through these recent threads on here and notice im getting pretty bad MPG, lol.

i have an 09 1500 5.7 4x4 with 65,xxx miles
i live in NM so cold wise its not that bad.

All i have done to the truck so far is,

S&B Cold air intake
Flowmaster Exhaust
Tires are 285 Hakook all terrain
17" XD spy

im getting 13.9mpg i did change out all 16 plugs yesterday. so so far it did go up to 14.2 does that seem normal for the mpg? also, my driving is all highway driving 50 miles a day while using mid grade.

thanks for any help
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC09 View Post
Hey guys, so im looking through these recent threads on here and notice im getting pretty bad MPG, lol.

i have an 09 1500 5.7 4x4 with 65,xxx miles
i live in NM so cold wise its not that bad.

All i have done to the truck so far is,

S&B Cold air intake
Flowmaster Exhaust
Tires are 285 Hakook all terrain
17" XD spy

im getting 13.9mpg i did change out all 16 plugs yesterday. so so far it did go up to 14.2 does that seem normal for the mpg? also, my driving is all highway driving 50 miles a day while using mid grade.

thanks for any help
First off, you bought a truck with a HEMI, so gas mileage shouldn't be your first concern. With that said, your mileage is right in the ball park. Plus, you're running winter grade fuel which isn't known for getting the best bang for your buck. Changing the plugs is a good start. Run some Seafoam through your gas tank to clean up the lines and injectors. Also, if you're not running a synthetic oil in your HEMI, I would suggest doing so. And, a lot of your mileage depends on your driving style. If you're like me, and most others here on the Z, you like to punch it to let other drivers around you know that you've got a Dodge, or just because it's fun. Getting in the skinny pedal easy and letting off and coasting for a while before coming to a stop will go a long way with MPG. Try driving 5 miles under the speed limit as well. Those are the tricks I use, and my mileage went up by 4 to 5 mpg by just watching my driving habits.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 HFE
Trim Level: SLT / HFE
Color: White w/ brown&beige interior
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
Hemi HFE is on a distinguished road

the three main factors affecting the fuel economy of a particular truck are (in order of impact):
1. driving loop & "driving style"
2. final drive ratio
3. tire type/size and wheel+tire weight

1. you say "my driving is all highway" but fail to list average speed...
big difference if yur rockin' 78mph vs 68 or 63.

And as Roger said, major gains in FE are obtainable by driving with a fuel-economic style..

2. optional 3.55, or 3.92 (or higher!) Final Drive Ratio FDR reduce your fuel economy,
a loss of ~1 mpg highway for each option above 3.21 is likely

3. OE tires are optimized for many things, including cost (low) and fuel economy (high).
Swapping them for pretty much ANY other tire (unless it was an "ECO" tire) is going to reduce FE.
Generally the more aggressive the tread, the worst the tire is for FE.

Also larger/heavier wheel+tire combo's hurt FE by requiring more energy to accelerate,
but this is much more significant to "city" driving with little impact on 'highway'..

Last edited by Hemi HFE; 01-17-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

NM is a 75 mph speed limit state right? How fast do you drive? I kept my 2012 to 60, and saw as high as 24.7 mpg in very favorable conditions. Does yours have MDS? If not, you'll still be a tick lower than the MDS equipped engines. Don't idle, don't use drive thrus, don't warm up the truck in the morning before leaving for work. Your mileage will go up doing the above.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 01-23-2014, 01:37 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman01 View Post
NM is a 75 mph speed limit state right? How fast do you drive? I kept my 2012 to 60, and saw as high as 24.7 mpg in very favorable conditions. Does yours have MDS? If not, you'll still be a tick lower than the MDS equipped engines. Don't idle, don't use drive thrus, don't warm up the truck in the morning before leaving for work. Your mileage will go up doing the above.
More most excellent advice! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Captain10 is on a distinguished road

Does warming up the truck in the morning affect MPG that much? I have a 3 mile drive to work so I like to let the truck for 10 minutes before I jump in for my short commute. I got about 250 miles on the last tank before the low fuel light came on which seems a little low to me. Dont really remember what I use to get in my 06 but its the same motor, only difference is a magnaflow exhaust.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:56 AM
God Bless Texas!

Definitely. Letting it idle eats up fuel and there's no bang for the buck when idling. Short drives are killer on the battery and motor, but idling will kill the mpg.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Captain10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Definitely. Letting it idle eats up fuel and there's no bang for the buck when idling. Short drives are killer on the battery and motor, but idling will kill the mpg.
Id rather save the battery and motor than the FE. The guy I bought it from had a short commute as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 AM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain10 View Post
Id rather save the battery and motor than the FE. The guy I bought it from had a short commute as well.
Wise decision, my friend.