DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
urbex is on a distinguished road
Default PCM part number reference?

I'm working on a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5 speed swap project. The Jeep came with the V8 and auto trans, and since Jeep never offered the Grand Cherokee with a V8 and manual trans factory, there are no Grand PCMs I can grab out of the junk yard to work with this combo.

I know several other people have used similar year Ram or Dakota 318/5 speed PCMs to make this work, but reading over the Jeep forums, it always seems to be a crapshoot whether or not you get a compatible PCM, along with many reports of PCMs "just going bad on the shelf...seems to be a problem with Chrysler PCMs".

I'm betting the "going bad from sitting" syndrome is people getting PCMs from SKIM equipped vehicles, which obviously won't work when swapped into a different vehicle.

I couldn't find any documention that said when SKIM started, but I got the impression that the '96 trucks didn't have it, so as long as I got a PCM from a '96 Ram or '96 Dakota, SKIM wouldn't be an issue for me.

I do have the factory alarm/immobilizer in the Jeep, but I use normal cheap keys from the hardware store with it, so I don't think the PCM is involved in it. I also have cruise control that I'd like to retain, and I think part of that is in the PCM. I've also heard of issues with various PCMs not running the gauges correctly.

I haven't been able to find any Rams or Daks in the junkyards locally with a 318 and 5 speed to verify the equipment in them, so I'm assuming I'll have to have one shipped in from another yard. Given a particular part number, is there a way to verify whether it will work for me, or will it still be a crapshoot?
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Now THAT is an interesting problem. Piques my curiosity. Short of finding a perfect fit, I'd think running a computer for an automatic, and dealing with an engine light might be what you're stuck with, but it seems it might be more involved than that. Looks like SKIM started with model year 1999 on Jeeps.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 01-30-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM

'96 was a weird year for Dodge. I recall something about '96 and Dakotas being mentioned in the same breath as "that year only", so I'd be concerned with swapping between models unless the pin-outs were verified. Otherwise, I'd do the correct for your vehicle computer, but for an automatic. The other option would be pricey, and that would be to go aftermarket with a FAST system. You might get lucky with a Ram 5-speed computer. Just check those pin-outs.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM

I have a computer for a automatic now, as that's what came in the Jeep, and it runs like crap. Doesn't idle well, stalls frequently, running pig rich, etc. Plus, if I have a CEL on, then it's a useless setup, as it won't pass an emissions check with a CEL on, regardless of how clean it's burning.

I might be able to fake out the computer somewhat, jumpering pins to simulate the NSS, perhaps a solenoid or two, and get the running closer to OK, but it's going to toss codes when it doesn't detect the transmission shifting, and that's still a problem for me.

As far as I can tell, the F.A.S.T, Mega Squirt, or any other aftermarket EFI systems aren't an option either, as none of them provide the industry standard data link that the emissions testing places utilize on the vehicles, and which I was told by the AZ DEQ that if they can't connect to the vehicle with factory style connections, you don't pass emissions.

Thus far, I've found 7 unique PCM part numbers for 1996 Dodge Ram, 5.2L V8 Gas, manual transmission truck. They all start with 56040, with a 3 number suffix that varies. I'm assuming the suffix denotes a particular flash, for different options on trucks, fed vs CA emissions, etc. But which one do I get? There has to be a way to decode that list.

I've called several PCM/ECM "rebuilders", and they have the same response - can't help me without a part number for the truck that I don't have, lol. Dealer is similar. Call Hemifever, and he doesn't think it's possible to flash my PCM with a Ram manual flash, and he wants $800 for the equipment and software for me to try myself.

Or I just keep buying different Ram computers until I find something that works...
Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM

Yeah, trial and error can sometimes be the only way, but may be fruitless. I'm gonna go through some catalogs and see if I can parse out something useful. The emissions thing is an unfortunate complication. On how it runs, you may have other issues. Doesn't track that it'd be running so bad. Should at least idle properly. Actually should do more than that.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM

It's driveable as is, and I've run some trails, but I wouldn't want to DD it like this. Heck, if I didn't have to get it through emissions just to renew the stinking plate, I probably wouldn't even bother with changing it, lol. Sucks that even in this state, I can't get some kind of low mileage, or primarily off road, exemption from emissions. It's pretty much a dedicated trail toy at this point, but a lot of the trail access roads are still considered "legal" roads, and officers have been known to check for registrations on those roads/ticket those not plated properly. To makes things more fun, since it's not titled as an ATV, I can't just put an OHV tag on it and call it good.

The biggest running issue is that the idle frequently drops too low, stalling it on technical sections, or coming to a stop. Which make sense, as the computer assumes it's never coming out of park. Then combined with never coming out of open loop, it runs rich and is pulling timing, so it just doesn't have the power that it should have.

It ran great before the trans swap, and cruddy immediately after. My Camaro did the same thing when I swapped it to a manual before reflashing the computer, but that's a considerably easier/cheaper thing to do on GM computers (which switching to a GM computer has crossed my mind a few times,lol).
Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 PM

I was looking, and the numbers I found for a standard transmission 5.2/Ram 1500:OE No. 56040968, 56040815, 4886780, 56040774, 4886845.
Rock Auto has EM2160U as the part number for a 1996 replacement for all 5 OEM's. If I were taking a shot, that's the one I'd get. If you can find any one of those OEM's on the cheap, it'd be worth a shot.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Is hunting wednecks

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I have a '95 with a Standard Transmission , 318. I could check mine if need be. However, I also have a spare that I keep in my shed. It works perfectly. As a matter of fact, it's out of a '95 318, Automatic transmission.

The reason I mention this is because when I installed it into my truck the only issue I had was that the shift indicator light on the dash came on way too soon as if it were telling the transmission to shift, but I have a .

My point being, either one works in my '95, 318 without any problems including the instruments on the dash working properly.

You COULD try Car-Part.com and type in the info you'd like a result for and see what comes up as options to get a better understanding of what will and/or will not work on the year/engine of the donor vehicle.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 01-31-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Just a thought here. 94-5, and maybe some 96 was OBDI. This format required alot less inputs to work. Whereas mid 96-up was OBD II, and required many more sensors to satisfy the computer. Just reaching here, but maybe an OBDI PCM, would be more forgiving to a swap such as yours. Warlocks earlier PCM might be just the ticket.