DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
armyrgr is on a distinguished road
Default What grill guard for 2012 power wagon?

I'd really like to get a full grill guard for my 2012 power wagon. Just don't know which ones will work/mount up and not block the winch. Any help would be appreciated. Initially, I was going to go with a Westin HDX but I don't think it will work.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

Just my $0.02:

Honestly, I personally would shy away from putting a grille guard on a Power Wagon (well, really I wouldn't put one on any vehicle I owned) here's why:

1. They rob approach angle- every brush guard I have seen sticks out well beyond (and typically below) the vehicle's stock front bumper making the front overhang longer and lower, killing approach angle.

2. They block (whether partially or completely) your front recovery points- almost all that I have seen are designed to attach with no drilling so, they have to attach to existing bolts through existing holes. This usually entails mounting to the same bolts as your front tow hooks so, they effectively block them. The funniest example of this is I have seen a brush guard design that required removing front tow hooks all together! (not one for our trucks but, still funny!)

3. High angle winching- I have had to use my winch at an angle steep enough that the cable rubbed the top of the bumper opening (I noticed this and rectified it but, it was still really close!), a lot of brush guards are going to have cross braces very near to where the cable opening of the bumper is!

4. Damage to the vehicle- it seems counter intuitive but, a lot of the brush guards that are supposed to be protecting the truck end up doing more damage in a wreck than what would have occurred if there wasn't one on the vehicle.

Were I you, I would save the money that would be spent on the brush guard and either:
1. Spent it on some other (better) mod
2. Save up some more money and either build a custom front bumper that incorporates a sturdy well integrated brush guard (as part of the bumper not some cheesy add on) yourself or pay someone to build it! (yes, there are beefy bumpers currently available that incorporate brush guards into them but, none specifically made for Power Wagons. (other than Aluminess that costs an arm and a leg!)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

trail whale is very correct on the damage point, and i agree, just get a better bumper.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Trail Whale... good words! I've never seen a wreck in which the brush guard diminished damage. The majority of damage was increased by the "guard". (Of course, as for the removal of the tow hooks...any good custom guard would either re-incorporate the hooks, or provide a useful alternative as a built-in.)
In addition, brush guards/bull guards effectively negate the streamline-engineering put into these vehicles reducing gas mileage. They also add weight thereby penalizing the front suspension.
The only use for them that I've found effective...is pushing thru a herd of cows/bulls when they think you've come to feed them and refuse to move off the road/trail. And the ones I've seen are poorly designed for that purpose. If I ever have another I'll have it custom mfr'd.

Last edited by ghorn; 01-29-2014 at 11:37 PM.