DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
2010renegade is on a distinguished road

My 2013 Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 hemi 8 speed has the vibration also right at about 2000 rpms, can feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal, dealer told me that it`s caused by the 2 inch Rancho quicklift leveling kit that was installed on the truck. Now I know that`s not true.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram quad
Color: gray
Rep:321
bartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the rough

I think it is from lugging the engine. when the truck holds to high of gear and the truck is at 2,000 rpm it starts to vibrate/chug some. try doing the 2,000 rpm and switching to a lower gear and holding 2,000 rpm.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlett View Post
I think it is from lugging the engine. when the truck holds to high of gear and the truck is at 2,000 rpm it starts to vibrate/chug some. try doing the 2,000 rpm and switching to a lower gear and holding 2,000 rpm.
It's not lugging. The 2,000 RPM in city driving is about the top of the rev range when the transmission up shifts (I have the 8 speed trans). As soon as the up shift completes and the RPMs drop the vibration disappears until the engine climbs back to the 1800 - 2000 RPM range when the vibration again occurs. It is not MDS either as it occurs even in tow/haul mode. It is more pronounce under load, such as going up hill. We have a highway nearby with about a 1 mile up hill section. Adjusting speed so that the truck holds about 1900 - 2000 RPM going up that hill and the vibration is very pronounced in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and drivers floor pan. When the terrain levels out at the top and the truck upshifts, vibration is gone until the engine hits that 1800 - 2000 RPM range again.

Last edited by Tom-G; 01-29-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 13
Trim Level: slt
Color: cherry red
desh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-G View Post
It's not lugging. The 2,000 RPM in city driving is about the top of the rev range when the transmission up shifts (I have the 8 speed trans). As soon as the up shift completes and the RPMs drop the vibration disappears until the engine climbs back to the 1800 - 2000 RPM range when the vibration again occurs. It is not MDS either as it occurs even in tow/haul mode. It is more pronounce under load, such as going up hill. We have a highway nearby with about a 1 mile up hill section. Adjusting speed so that the truck holds about 1900 - 2000 RPM going up that hill and the vibration is very pronounced in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and drivers floor pan. When the terrain levels out at the top and the truck upshifts, vibration is gone until the engine hits that 1800 - 2000 RPM range again.
my 11 was like that so is my 13(6 speed) it feels like it is on the verge to shift gears because you are in low rpms but aint doing it,to me it feels like driving a manual vehicule and you need to downshift gears
my 2 buddys have 11's and they are the same
Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram quad
Color: gray
Rep:321
bartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the rough

why do you think them giant rubber mounted pucks are mounted to your frame ! there well aware of the problem ! they just cant get rid if it !
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: Western Brown Monotone
Rep:59
RocketFoot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlett View Post
why do you think them giant rubber mounted pucks are mounted to your frame ! there well aware of the problem ! they just cant get rid if it !
I just don't know if it is a torsional vibration...it sure feels like a gear grinding or something. I would think a torsional vibration would occur at 2000 rpm even in park, but this one doesn't. It does it in any gear other than park/neutral.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White
RMBLBEE is on a distinguished road

I have a 6 speed with 3.92 gears. I have a low RPM vibration (1100 RPM). Goes away if I hit the towhaul button. I think it is the tranny shifting at too low an rpm. Had the same problem with my 2010. Dealer re-flashed the shift/tranny paterns and never had a problem after that. Taking my 2013 to the dealer on Monday.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Copperhead Pearle
SupermanWV is on a distinguished road

Here is the fix I found for a vibration.....may be same thing. Try it and see if you truck still makes the noise/vibration.

Here is a link to where I posted this info with a pic. Look on page 2 towards the bottom. Two pics were loaded in that post.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....ermanwv&page=2

Well.....discovered the noise. And fixed it! Here is a copy of what I posted on another RAM Forum.

I did...... They still acted like after I left they couldn't make the noise happen like I did.

However.......TODY WAS MY LUCKY DAY!

I went out and listened to my noise with the windows up and it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side.

And since it sounds like metal vibrating....under the truck I go. Here is what I found.

The only metal part I found that could be loose was a muffler clamp right where the two down pipes from the motor come together and clamp to the straight pipe going to the muffler. It's the only clamp like it on the exhaust. The other one by the muffler is different. Anyway, the clamp nuts were as tight as heck. I couldn't even budge them using a pipe over the end of the wrench. So I checked that idea off my list of one thing to check. But then I noticed it...... Right above that clamp, welded to the top of the muffler where that clamp is, is a flat clip that is bent kind of square and it goes over the clamp, evidently to hold the clamp in place during manufacturing before it actually gets put together and tightened down. Well it's only welded to the exhaust pipe on one side of the clamp. So the other side vibrates. Evidently around 3500 RPMs. Lol! But since its over the exhaust clamp it vibrates on the metal of the clamp. I went under the truck with a very large screwdriver and put it under that clip and pried it up until it was totally clear of the clamp. Now VOILA! No vibrating noise!

I'm so glad I could lose control. This noise has been haunting me since I got the truck. And four trips to the dealer with no fixes.

I feel like I need to go dealer and show them the culprit. So they can help anyone else who may have this issue. Cause clearly they'll never figure it out on their own.

Hope this helps someone.

Later.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Last edited by SupermanWV; 02-12-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Color: Blue
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanWV View Post
Here is the fix I found for a vibration.....may be same thing. Try it and see if you truck still makes the noise/vibration.

Here is a link to where I posted this info with a pic. Look on page 2 towards the bottom. Two pics were loaded in that post.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....ermanwv&page=2

Well.....discovered the noise. And fixed it! Here is a copy of what I posted on another RAM Forum.

I did...... They still acted like after I left they couldn't make the noise happen like I did.

However.......TODY WAS MY LUCKY DAY!

I went out and listened to my noise with the windows up and it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side.

And since it sounds like metal vibrating....under the truck I go. Here is what I found.

The only metal part I found that could be loose was a muffler clamp right where the two down pipes from the motor come together and clamp to the straight pipe going to the muffler. It's the only clamp like it on the exhaust. The other one by the muffler is different. Anyway, the clamp nuts were as tight as heck. I couldn't even budge them using a pipe over the end of the wrench. So I checked that idea off my list of one thing to check. But then I noticed it...... Right above that clamp, welded to the top of the muffler where that clamp is, is a flat clip that is bent kind of square and it goes over the clamp, evidently to hold the clamp in place during manufacturing before it actually gets put together and tightened down. Well it's only welded to the exhaust pipe on one side of the clamp. So the other side vibrates. Evidently around 3500 RPMs. Lol! But since its over the exhaust clamp it vibrates on the metal of the clamp. I went under the truck with a very large screwdriver and put it under that clip and pried it up until it was totally clear of the clamp. Now VOILA! No vibrating noise!

I'm so glad I could lose control. This noise has been haunting me since I got the truck. And four trips to the dealer with no fixes.

I feel like I need to go dealer and show them the culprit. So they can help anyone else who may have this issue. Cause clearly they'll never figure it out on their own.

Hope this helps someone.

Later.

Clark (SupermanWV)
I was aware of the exhaust clamp issue and had the dealership check it. That is not the cause of the 2000 RPM vibration that I'm experiencing.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Same, mine does it at 2000 rpm also, just enough to be noticeable, I figured it was a torsional characteristic of this engine. I'll follow what happens here.