DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Hemipower08 is on a distinguished road
Default wiring harness arcing/burning

08 ram 1500 5.7

the master switch connector on driver side of course has a wire that constantly is arcing and causing me to burn through these switches. I am on my third one within the last year. According to the wiring and circuit diagram it is the main power wire running directly to ignition (pink w/yellow stripe). My voltage output is good at 14.2, connectors are tight..but the arcing can be heard and temporarily kills the switch and u have to 'wiggle' it a bit to get power back..im completely lost on fixing this but these switches are $120 a piece so id like to stop buying them lol. any advice??

thanks

Last edited by Hemipower08; 01-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
yoyoman is on a distinguished road

This sounds more like a problem with the switches themselves. You mentioned all connectors are tight and no problem with supply voltage.

By master switch, are you referring to the key ignition switch or a window switch cluster? Does the arcing occur within the switch itself or within the connector block? A problem in the block can cause a problem with the switch If there is a problem with the switch, I can tell you the switch contacts will lose the battle every time. Voltage in switch gear isn't nearly as important as capacity to handle current (amperage). A poor connection can pass an incredible amount of voltage so long as there is no load (resistance) placed upon it. Apply a load and the weakest part of the connection will fail. Think of the chain being as strong as its weakest link. If you think the problem lies within the block, use a flashlight and since you are a young guy and probably have good eyes, inspect both sides of the connector and check for evidence of arcing (burns and soot). If you find it, I'd put money on that as the place to start. Those indicators prove the current is having to jump a gap. Do not overlook your sense of smell in helping you pinpoint an electrical problem, we all know what they smell like, put it to work for you. Give the blade end of the connector a very slight twist and also try packing the female end with a bit of grease (do NOT use graphite grease) or better still, silicone grease and put back together. Next comes the waiting game to see if it all works over time.

If it turns out the switch is just cheesy, then there is no cure for that and all you can do is go for a more drastic fix and install a relay with heavier duty contacts to handle the load. Your primary switch used to operate the coil on the relay, the load through the heavier contacts. Hope this helped. Good luck.