DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Power Wagon

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Power Wagon
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Flame red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
R0NAN is on a distinguished road
Default Gvwr increase on power wagon possibilities?

I have a 2013 power wagon in my sights and I want to pull the trigger on a deal but I have a concern. I have a toy hauler with an exterior deck at the front of it where my two quads go. I bought the trailer last year and haven't scaled the tongue weight but I know it is significant. My 3/4 ton suburban has a payload capacity of 3000lbs and it sits fairly low with the quads on the deck. The power wagons payload is 1900lbs which makes me think that it won't be enough. It will pull it no problem but I fear it'll be too heavy on the hitch. ( trailer is. 6200lbs dry/ unloaded)
I was thinking of putting 1 ton springs in the back but the arch isn't the same. The wagon springs have a greater arch to help with ground clearance. SD truck springs said with the heavier springs , I'd Lose 1" of ground clearance. Apparently a block/spacer can make up that difference.
I am also interested in lifting the truck or suspension 2"-4" if possible over original height. Would heavier springs alter the off road abilities? There are many experienced people on this site and any input or opinions relating to my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. If at all possible, I would like to avoid buying a standard ram with a greater payload.

Last edited by R0NAN; 01-31-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0NAN View Post
I have a 2013 power wagon in my sights and I want to pull the trigger on a deal but I have a concern. I have a toy hauler with an exterior deck at the front of it where my two quads go. I bought the trailer last year and haven't scaled the tongue weight but I know it is significant. My 3/4 ton suburban has a payload capacity of 3000lbs and it sits fairly low with the quads on the deck. The power wagons payload is 1900lbs which makes me think that it won't be enough. It will pull it no problem but I fear it'll be too heavy on the hitch. ( trailer is. 6200lbs dry/ unloaded)
I was thinking of putting 1 ton springs in the back but the arch isn't the same. The wagon springs have a greater arch to help with ground clearance. SD truck springs said with the heavier springs , I'd Lose 1" of ground clearance. Apparently a block/spacer can make up that difference.
I am also interested in lifting the truck or suspension 2"-4" if possible over original height. Would heavier springs alter the off road abilities? There are many experienced people on this site and any input or opinions relating to my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. If at all possible, I would like to avoid buying a standard ram with a greater payload.

Go to a different truck store before they talk you into signing over your bank account.

First, ground clearance is determined by your lowest point, in this case your diff, springs will not change that only tire size will. The whole point of a lift is to provide more room between the axle and the body to fit larger tires giving you greater clearance.

As for the weight issues. The PW should not be that much different in capacity than your Surburban, my quick google foo shows its actually higher. This leads to the question of if you were overloading your surburban. Towing quirks aside a decent set of airbags will keep you nice and level. As for lifiting, a quality quit will not lower the vehicles load capacity, though you may have to adjust your towing style for a larger tire size (i.e. get lower gearing or lighten the load a little).
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

if you went to one ton rear springs your better off going to a custom psring shop and get them made for what you want and adding air bags like battle said.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies! Battle, my suburban is a 1999 k2500 4x4. Gvrw8600 lbs and a 5700 lbs curb weight. It can't tow much due to motor(350cid/255hp/330 torque. Not common for a suburban.
You're right about the ground clearance, although I have seen some web sites state that the power wagon has 14" ground clearence( common misconception).
I believe I miss quoted the sales rep as I think she said it would "sit 1 inch lower". I never considered the custom spring approach so thanks for that. The police in British Columbia Canada commonly pull over, scale and fine tow rigs that are overloaded. I am hoping that if I get custom springs, they can provide documentation proving the increase in gvrw capacity.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0NAN View Post
Thanks for the replies! Battle, my suburban is a 1999 k2500 4x4. Gvrw8600 lbs and a 5700 lbs curb weight. It can't tow much due to motor(350cid/255hp/330 torque. Not common for a suburban.
You're right about the ground clearance, although I have seen some web sites state that the power wagon has 14" ground clearence( common misconception).
I believe I miss quoted the sales rep as I think she said it would "sit 1 inch lower". I never considered the custom spring approach so thanks for that. The police in British Columbia Canada commonly pull over, scale and fine tow rigs that are overloaded. I am hoping that if I get custom springs, they can provide documentation proving the increase in gvrw capacity.
The springs alone will not change the GVWR. GVWR is figured by the manufacturer by a combination of spring rate, braking, cooling, gearing, and engine power. If you are really that concerned then you probably need to step up to a 1ton truck.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Talking

Well I've done more research. Thanks Battle for your input! You are correct in the fact that there are many factors that determine a vehicles gvrw. The reason I was focusing on the suspension is that I believe it is the weak link or the"limiting factor" , as the brakes, axles, diff, frame, tranny, motor and wheels are the same. The tires, shocks, springs/ ride height are different.
I called the department of transportation in Alberta and they told me a few things. Only the vehicle manufacturer can change/recertify a vehicles gvrw. Adding stuff such as helper springs, bigger springs, air bags will actually lower the gvrw due to the added weight, even though they help with the load handling. A weight distribution hitch helps because it puts more weight back on the trailer. In Canada, each province enforces gvrw weights for private vehicles differently. Alberta is fine with modifying your rig to handle more weight but British Columbia for example enforces the rated weights on the door. I imaging that in an accident situation, lawyers have a lot to play with. I am not sure how things are in the USA but I would guess that it is similar. I am confident that a good set of air bags or helper springs would solve my problems, short of being completely legal.
I am going to talk to a dealer on Thursday about a 2013 Laramie power wagon. I have a few days to mull over my options, the others being a 2014 power wagon or a 1 ton and then mod it. One things for sure, I'm pretty excited! I've never owned a new truck before.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Good luck on your purchase! If your going to do it, you should do it right. You have already started with your homework, now make the decision that is best for you. As much as I want to see more PWs out there, you definitely sound like a candidate for a Cummins truck (they are awesome!). Only you can make the decision thats right for you though!