DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
GAS1014 is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Question

I have a 2014 Ram. Set auto temp on 70 when I start the truck, within minutes it's warmed up the cabin nicely. I then turn the auto temp down a degree or 2 and the whole heating system changes, it starts to get very cold. If I turn auto back up to 70 again it still blows cold. The only way I can get heat again it to set it on manual mode blowing all air to the feet and cranking the temp up to 75+ degrees.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Don't have any experience with it in our trucks, but I have in a couple of cars made by Chrysler.

First off, the auto temp seems to work best when the temps are extreme. Such as 90 in the summer or 40 or colder in the winter. It seems like when its between about 60 and 75 is when it works the worse.

There is a lot going on with this system. Some of them check the following things. A sensor aimed at the driver, as sensor for the sun, a sensor for outside temp, coolant temp, outside temp. Then the computer decides where the air comes out and at what temp. It decides if the AC should be on or not. As you have figured out, this sometimes doesn't come together so great, so you are better off going to manual.

Sometimes it will settle down and get it where you want, but I know our 300c will do what you describe, start blowing cold out places you don't want it and it won't stop.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Color: Black
Rep:29
Omac is on a distinguished road

I keep mine set at 72 and forget it. The system does what it has to do to maintain that temp. Try leaving it at whatever temp you find comfortable and leave it and see how that works.
Mopar Hood Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps Front/Rear, Fire/Ice Mud Flap LEDs, Tonno Bed Cover, Mopar Bed Mat, Mopar Tailgate Liner,Window Tint, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liner Front/Rear, Mopar Chrome Gas Door
Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1531
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

When you turn on AUTO it is no longer just a heating system. Think of it as an integrated climate control system. If you have it on AUTO and you set it to 70 it will bring the temp to 70. Now, if it is 100 degrees out it will pump A/C in to bring the temp down to 70. If it is 40 out it will pump heat in to bring it up to 70.

When it hits 70 and you turn it down to 68, for example, you are telling AUTO the temp you want is 68. Since it is 70 it will pump cold air in until it hits 68. The reason it gets really cold is it is trying to pump as much A/C in the cabin as quickly as possible to bring the temp down to 68.

Does that make sense?
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 02-08-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:42 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
When you turn on AUTO it is no longer just a heating system. Think of it as an integrated climate control system. If you have it on AUTO and you set it to 70 it will bring the temp to 70. Now, if it is 100 degrees out it will pump A/C in to bring the temp down to 70. If it is 40 out it will pump heat in to bring it up to 70.

When it hits 70 and you turn it down to 68, for example, you are telling AUTO the temp you want is 68. Since it is 70 it will pump cold air in until it hits 68. The reason it gets really cold is it is trying to pump as much A/C in the cabin as quickly as possible to bring the temp down to 68.

Does that make sense?

great explanation.

just look at it this way: the system 'maintains" the temperature, and when a different temperature is selected, it wants to reach that new temperature as fast as possible. so if its set at 70, nice and warm, and when you drop it to 68, its going to pump LOTS of cold air fast to get it to the temp you want. thats why its best to just set it and forget it. find a temperature thats comfortable for you, and just leave it. I havent touched mine since the fall, with the only exception being to defrost my windshield as fast as possible.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
GAS1014 is on a distinguished road

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I agree when I turn auto down to 68 it probably starts blowing A/C air to cool it down quickly but when I turn it back up to 70 or 72 the reverse doesn't happen (i.e. it doesn't start blowing hot air).

Looks like have two options:
1) set auto on a lower setting (68) and leave it alone so it won't cook me out of the cabin when it warms up
2) try manual setting to see if I can change the temperature more easily.

Thanks!