DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Ask the Chef!

Notices

Ask the Chef! Have you ever wondered how to cook a steak like a pro? Ever wondered why restaurant food can be expensive? Why DOES everything taste better with bacon? Do you really need a dozen different knives to be a good cook? Have you ever wanted to ask a professional Chef a question? Well, now is your chance to ask a professional Chef any question you want.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black Gold Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:38
rcmpvet is on a distinguished road

Well to me there is no really wrong way or right way, except do not overcook. I have been cooking my own since I was 7 and I am constantly changing the ways I cook pasta depending on many factors:

1 - Using hot water over cold - if the water is the same then it makes no difference to me, however I think this started with the use of water conditioners. If your hot water is conditioned then definitely use cold, too many salts otherwise. Where you get your water from also makes a difference, if your water is treated you may have to make adjustments, the best water I have ever used was from the mountains, very cold, full of minerals and made some nice firm pasta without sticking.

2 - The pasta itself makes a difference; durham wheat verses semolina wheat, I prefer semolina wheat as it is less starchy. They can both come from the same kernals however the semolina is more refined than the durham, in short durham has semolina but semolina does not have durham. Having said that I now buy my pasta from a local producer, they use semolina wheat but it can be classed as more of an egg noodle due to the amount of eggs they use, richer in taste and cooks in half the time. I have tried rice noodles, cooks even faster that egg noodles, not as much flavour but healthier for those on a reduced carb diet (diabetics) and it beats the crap out of any pasta recommended by "granola crunchers"

3 - Someday I will learn to make my own noodles.

4 - Salt in water, yes, to flavour the pasta itself, the salt is absorbed by the pasta.

5 - Rinse or not; depends on how much starch is in the pasta, I rinse to reduce the amount of starch, however it is the starch that enables the sauce to stick to the pasta. As for oil, I use EV Oil on my pasta only if I do not want a sauce and just want a garlic oil coating, of course using fresh crushed garlic cloves.

6 - Finally, whoever came up with baked spaghetti should be shot. Spaghetti should be twirled on a fork, not cut up with a knife, save the baking for lasagna, rigatoni or penne.

Now let's eat.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Is hunting wednecks

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Make your own noodles? What? They don't grow on trees?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 02-12-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black Gold Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:38
rcmpvet is on a distinguished road

Gotta plant me one of those.