DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: None
Trim Level: None
Color: None
Rep:10
BCaywood is on a distinguished road

So is the 91-92 5.9 as rare? Should I just try to find one of those and upgrade it to a Magnum? I really like the look of the last 3 years of the 1st gen, but that being said, since they're basically all the same truck since I think the 70's, should I just look for any 1st gen with a 5.9 and upgrade the motor and swap out the front end to the 91-93 front end? What about taking a junkyard or pick a part 5.9 magnum and dropping it in?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCaywood View Post
And btw, Warlock, is that a real Dodge stepside or a custom? I've heard Dodge made them in very small numbers, and some people make a Chevy stepside work. Either way it looks good
I worked it off of a Chevy. Frenched in the Dodge 1/4's for the taillights etc...

I couldn't find one so I made it. Come guys irritate me because they ask questions in parking lots, and then make stupid remarks.

The best was a guy with a T Bucket and he made a really irritating remark, so I proceeded to pick his Chevy powered Ford apart and asked him...So WTF is that thing?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: None
Trim Level: None
Color: None
Rep:10
BCaywood is on a distinguished road

Wow, It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, its what you think and that's why you've done it. In any case it look amazing, a truly good looking ram. I wish dodge had made more of the Rams as stepsides
Old 02-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Agreed Warlock, your truck is just plain Kool, no way around it.

The '91-'92 Ram with 5.9LA I would say, is even more rare. Basically, that would've been bought by a Dodge loyalist that needed all the torque he could get without going diesel. The 5.2 would've been a little cheaper and more common. I'd look at it this way. Find the truck you want as far as body style. A good clean truck is the best place to start. Plan on drivetrain work. Your options are wide open on engine selection (you can rebuild a 318 for rompin' stompin' power, or rebuild the 5.9 for even more, or do a Magnum with or without injection, all depends on your goal), and, as long as any state emissions issues are considered, you can make it into whatever you want. What I mean is, you're not just gonna find a Magnum engine and bolt it into a pre-Mag truck. The electronics are different, there are other relatively minor, but vital considerations. The hardware is easy, the electronics take more, but it's all do-able. When the first Magnums appeared, they were the transplant darlings. Think '73 Challenger with the whole fuel-injected Magnum setup. You can even get an 80's truck and fit it with the early 90's grille, etc, for the look you like. Me? I'd probably do that. Get an older, even cheaper truck in good shape, do a face-lift, and have a simple, happy carb'd engine. Then, I wouldn't be limited as much. It's just up to you to find it.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Thanks Gen1. (I wasn't trying to hide my modifications to it...I even had R/T decals made for the doors and the tailgate. Recycled Truck)

If I can offer a little input as he (the OP) seems rather new.

The Magnum and LA block are almost identical. It seems that you were somewhat confused on that aspect. The oil pump in the 5.2 was the same from the mid 60's up until 01.

Bolting a Magnum into an LA and vice verse are a direct fit. It's the accessories that you have to worry about as Gen1 has said.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 02-14-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

I'm a little baffled by some of the changes that I'm learning about. Like you said, Warlock, the oil pump. Recently learned about the little transmission part, can't think of the name right this sec. Goes contrary to past Mopar mantra to make these little changes so close to the end of the production run. Both the 46RE and the LA/Magnum only had a couple years left. Seems like the changes would be unjustifiably costly, but then again, I have to spend my own money. I mean, it's not like I'm a billionaire running a car company that goes between the black and the red like the sun rising. What would I know?