DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Black Gold
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
Lichtfuss is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Catch Can 2014 3.6L

Hey guys, i thought i would document and share how i did my catch can. Ive had the truck for a week and im already getting into the mods, hah

I used:
-1x Kobalt 3/8" compressed air filter bought at Lowes
-1x 3/8" barb x 3/8" threaded brass fitting
-1x 1/2" barb x 3/8" threaded brass fitting
-1x 3/8" x 3/8" barbed brass coupling
-1x 1/2" x 3" long threaded black iron pipe nipple
-1x nut and bolt to close the chamber vent
-teflon tape
-4' of 3/8" heater hose (confirm your hose length first)
-2' of 1/2" heater hose (confirm your hose length first)
-5x 3/8" hose clamps

The air filter was found in the compressed air tools section, but everything else except for the heater hose was found in the plumbing section of Lowes or Home Depot. The heater hose can be found at any automotive store.

Note: The PCV fitting that attaches to the intake manifold has an approximately 5/8" nipple on it for the hose, so, rather than struggling with a 3/8" hose, i decided to run 1/2" hose from the intake to the catch can.

I have a 2014 with the 3.6L Pentastar and I was interested in installing a catch can and i saw ones on ebay, ones from other online vendors and i decided to go my own route. Using the materials above and following some of the other write up's on here i have my own catch can now. I did a bit of modification to the air filter unit to make it work for me.

Heres the filter reservoir that i modified.

It has that brass relief valve on the bottom, which i decided to close off. I used a nut and bolt in the workshop (approx. 3/8"-16) and put some teflon tape on the bolt, inserted in into the hole, put on the old rubber o-ring and screwed on the nut. Filled it with water, no leaks. Blew into the unit to add some pressure and still no leaks.

With that out of the way, i removed the 0.5 micron filter assembly from the filter housing and replaced it with the black iron nipple. I drilled out a number of holes so that the air, vapour, oil mixture wouldnt have to bubble through the bottom of the nipple when the reservoir begins to fill up.

I also changed the direction of flow for the filter. Originally, it is supposed to flow into the reservoir through the outer ring around the filter, through the filter that came with the unit, and out of the unit. I figured that by reversing it, i could have the oil/vapour mix come in through the pipe nipple and be deposited into the reservoir and then just the air would flow out through the outer ring and out the outlet.

I put everything together and started working on the truck. I mounted the catch can through the top of the unit to the truck. I cut the stock PCV hose a few inches from the white fitting that attaches to the intake, inserted the 3/8"x3/8" brass coupling and ran that hose to the catch can (making sure to connect to the port that runs into the pipe nipple inside the unit). The other end of the catch can runs to the intake with 1/2" hose. Tighten up all of your hose clamps and shes all ready to go.

Heres a close up of the pipe nipple inside of the can now that its all assembled.

Thanks for looking, i hope this helps anyone else who is interested in doing their own DIY catch can. My write up focused more on the modification, but the install is very similar to any other catch can install. Let me know if you have any suggestions or criticisms.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
theGSE10 is on a distinguished road

Nice job! It looks awesome, I would have never thought to do that! Props for the ingenuity

You'll have to let us know how well it works and how much you catch.
Hellwig rear sway bar / Green filter / Borla XR-1 / Line-X / Bak Roll-X / AMI shorty antenna / Raptor 4" nerf bar / Mopar tow hooks / Moroso Catch Can / Bilsteins @ 2.1 / Fox 2.0 rear / TGC .75 rear spacer / Air Lift 1000 / Bak Box 2 /

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ut4enlwx4fslgd8/slpdRXv6z2
Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Bigbird is on a distinguished road

Dumb question! I know some others want to know but are to timid to ask. What is a catch can used for?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Crew Cab Granite Crystal
nhra is on a distinguished road

Pressure from the crankcase is routed into the throttle body for emissions. It contains a slight amount of oil that eventuly ends up in the intake manifold. The catch can removes this oil from entering the intake manifold, keeping it cleaner.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Bigbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot. Now I know.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Black Gold
Lichtfuss is on a distinguished road

Ill be sure to take a picture once its full, and ill let you guys know how long it takes. Its cold here where i live still, so i should be getting a lot of condensation, which means it will fill up quickly.