DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK1 View Post
Paul:

Is the stink still gone in your truck since the fix? And what color coolant did you get after the fix?
The dealer gave me a choice on coolant - change to pre 2013 HOAT or stick with the new OAT. I stuck with the new OAT. I did it because of liability issues if the wrong coolant was accidentally put into the truck because it had markings that say "OAT" only in the engine bay and all service manuals. I only keep my cars 2 years or so, but an unsuspecting next owner could end up with a ruined engine.

So far, the smell has not returned. I smell antifreeze on occasion, albeit slight, but not the odor from before.

I have a few thousand miles on it since the hose change and flush. I won't consider it fixed until 5k miles or so.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Color: Bright White
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

I will pull a sample out of the rad. To see look , but looking in with a flashlight appears to be bright orange since the fix. I will follow up, thanks for the info.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Just checked the truck regular radiator the coolant is Purple. It appeared to be bright orange in the plastic over flow bottle as I reported earlier in my post. So the fix is the hoses changed out and replaced with O.A.T. Coolant. No Stink so far.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
Like I said two weeks ago last Friday after waiting on hoses for two weeks the Chrysler Rep. and dealer ,Flushed the system,replaced all hoses and replaced with Bright Orange Coolant, no smell at this point. No offense but Chrysler Customer Care has no CLUE about the Oder ....been there done that no help at all after 2 months..... I had to get a hold of the Chrysler Rep. to get the issue fixed.
*****My Mistake the color in the Actual radiator is Purple. In the plastic Overflow bottle it looks to be Orange. I pulled sample from main radiator as well its Purple. Sorry for the mistake and confusion GT is Correct. Thanks GT*****
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
After two months of run around and weekly updates from Chrysler Customer Care that engineers were working on it, I called my Chrysler Rep. that changed out my 13 for the 14 due to gear issues. The Rep. told me he would check it out and call me. He called about 4 days later told me the hoses were the cause of the Oder due to sulfur compound in the hoses breaking down by the Oat Coolant. He said the official fix determined by the engineers was to flush out the system and replace all hoses and coolant. It took about two weeks for the hoses to come in. Work was completed two weeks ago last Friday. The Ser. Mgr. at dealer told me the coolant replaced was specified for 2014 model year. The weird part is the coolant is bright Orange. I put about 500 Miles on last two weeks. Checked coolant again last night its still bright Orange. Just really weird, but Oder is gone so far.
********CORRECTION The sample from the Radiator is purple not orange******
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: white
mygt8a4re is on a distinguished road

Quote:
********CORRECTION The sample from the Radiator is purple not orange******
Thanx for the feedback ramit355, this helps alot! Can you tell us how you came to the final conclusion on the color?

As most can see the only way to tell the color is to actually remove some coolant from the radiator (overflow container) and test it in natural light. For some reason this new organic coolant has a chameleon effect in its natural surroundings and will have you thinking you have something that you do not!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
jtodd5781 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygt8a4re View Post
Thanx for the feedback ramit355, this helps alot! Can you tell us how you came to the final conclusion on the color?

As most can see the only way to tell the color is to actually remove some coolant from the radiator (overflow container) and test it in natural light. For some reason this new organic coolant has a chameleon effect in its natural surroundings and will have you thinking you have something that you do not!
I am currently driving a loaner that was manufactured May 2013 while my truck is in the shop getting rid of the smell and the coolant color is purple. The way I was able to tell the color is by taking off the pressure cap and letting residual fluid drip back in to the radiator, when it drips you can see it against the light and tell what color it is.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Glad to Help and your welcome. Excellent Question,I went to the car lot today and opened the hood of new 2014 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Popped the metal cap on the radiator the coolant was purple. Went home popped cap on my 2014 Ram and took Sample it was same purple color as the New Ram.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: white
mygt8a4re is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Glad to Help and your welcome. Excellent Question,I went to the car lot today and opened the hood of new 2014 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Popped the metal cap on the radiator the coolant was purple. Went home popped cap on my 2014 Ram and took Sample it was same purple color as the New Ram.
Perfect example here....thank you greatly ramit!!!

And thank you jtodd5781, I was asking in hopes others would find the correct way to check their coolant in their vehicle! I had use a clear pipette to draw fluid from my radiator to see that it was purple. I know not everyone has a "pipette" on hand to do this.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Perfect example here....thank you greatly ramit!!!

And thank you jtodd5781, I was asking in hopes others would find the correct way to check their coolant in their vehicle! I had use a clear pipette to draw fluid from my radiator to see that it was purple. I know not everyone has a "pipette" on hand to do this.
I used antifreeze tester to pull samples......