DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Warranty Issues

Notices

Dodge Ram Warranty Issues Discuss your Dodge Ram Warranty in this forum.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Blue streak pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mattmanstroked is on a distinguished road

In my opinion the extended warranty companies are out to make a profit. So it is in your best interest not to pay. I will take the gamble and not purchase an extended warranty/service contract. I can change basic parts, major failures of engines or transmissions are not common. We have 5 year or 100,000 power train from the factory.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:262
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

I received the same warranty from my dealership, which only extends the 5/100,000 powertrain warranty. The caveat is that you must have all of the manufacturer's recommended scheduled maintenance performed at the dealership, or have it pre- authorized...

I'm not too concerned about it. If it's convenient, then I might maintain it, but it looks like if I decide to change my own oil, then that alone will probably void it. It's a ploy by dealerships to get all of your service/maintenance business, which can becomes costly the longer that you own the vehicle.

Edit- Here's info on my warranty:http://www.jimshorkey.com/warranty-forever.htm
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 03-02-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I just past the 5 year point with my 2009 Ram
I did the 100,000 mile inspection & then i started getting Notices from Chrysler reminding me that i needed to get the inspection done. Chrysler's computer sends these out automatically, no person looks at your history & has them sent out

My Ram has the Limited Lifetime PowerTrain Warranty
I also have the Lifetime Extended Maxcare Warranty through Chrysler, it cost me $1100 after i turned my original extended basic care warranty in

I drive across the USA at least once a year & i don't want to have to call my local dealership for permission to do a service or repair when i am out of the County, State or even Country where i live
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
KCGal is on a distinguished road

Wow this post scared me. I thought he was talking about factory warranty at first and I was think man Im screwed. I do all my own oil changes every 4 to 5K miles with extended life synthetic, If I have to warranty through dodge, are they going to give me issues?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGal View Post
Wow this post scared me. I thought he was talking about factory warranty at first and I was think man Im screwed. I do all my own oil changes every 4 to 5K miles with extended life synthetic, If I have to warranty through dodge, are they going to give me issues?
The majority of this thread has been focused on third-party (non-Chrysler backed) warranty programs. To be technical, they aren't even warranties...they are service contracts. That's what the "Warranty Forever" program as linked above is. Personally, I cannot see any value in a service contract with those requirements. By the time you factor in the cost of the contract itself and then the cost of strictly adhering to the maintenance schedule through a dealer, you are talking about a substantial amount of money. I would venture to say way more money than the vast majority of owners will ever need to spend on their vehicle.

Anyway, to answer your question....no, you will not have any issues with your Chrysler factory warranty due to changing your own oil. To my knowledge, there is no requirement to strictly adhere to the recommended service schedule for the factory warranty. Now if they had some reason to believe or evidence that you had grossly neglected a particular service for your vehicle and it had led to a failure, you might have a problem. Otherwise, no worries.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Usually just keeping records & receipts of your services is enough to satisfy most warranty requirements
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle