DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:156
SShadow1974 has a spectacular aura aboutSShadow1974 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Primo. I hope it looks as good on the truck as it does in the pic. Unfortunately it's taking a dog's age to get them... ETA is near the end of March. If I could have afforded an extra $600, I could have gotten some KMD XD rims. 5 wide spokes... I really liked them, but I can't afford that extra cash. So these were my 2nd choice.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by klank View Post
That's not good. I followed your instructions and put the washer on top where you had specified. How many others followed it as well? What will happen with the washer up there?
The purpose of the washer going underneath is to prevent the upper spring seat from pushing down on the strut rod. The diameter of the rod and the diameter of the hole in the upper spring seat are very close, so the washer is meant to increase the diameter of the road (in a way) to prevent that from happening. Now that being said, it isn't the worst thing you could do. There is very little force pushing down on the upper spring seat, obviously most of the time it's being pushed up on by the weight of the truck. Some people do have a clunking sound when it is installed above the plate rather than below... but I've also read of numerous people putting it above and not having any issues either. However it is something I would pull apart and fix just to be safe... I'm pretty OCD when it comes to that.

I apologize to you and anyone else who may have messed up this install because of me. As I said, I'm not sure how it was missed as both myself and Canadian Hemi Pride proof read this before I posted it... I will have it fixed right away.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Bright White
Rep:10
klank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
The purpose of the washer going underneath is to prevent the upper spring seat from pushing down on the strut rod. The diameter of the rod and the diameter of the hole in the upper spring seat are very close, so the washer is meant to increase the diameter of the road (in a way) to prevent that from happening. Now that being said, it isn't the worst thing you could do. There is very little force pushing down on the upper spring seat, obviously most of the time it's being pushed up on by the weight of the truck. Some people do have a clunking sound when it is installed above the plate rather than below... but I've also read of numerous people putting it above and not having any issues either. However it is something I would pull apart and fix just to be safe... I'm pretty OCD when it comes to that.

I apologize to you and anyone else who may have messed up this install because of me. As I said, I'm not sure how it was missed as both myself and Canadian Hemi Pride proof read this before I posted it... I will have it fixed right away.

Thank you for the quick and detailed response! I am OCD as well and will re-rent the spring compressor and swap the positions of the washer a.s.a.p. I am within my 30 day alignment warranty for Les Schwab so I shouldn't have to pay for another alignment.

It was an honest mistake and I have no hard feelings. Thank you again for your detailed guide and assistance that makes this community the best!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by klank View Post
Thank you for the quick and detailed response! I am OCD as well and will re-rent the spring compressor and swap the positions of the washer a.s.a.p. I am within my 30 day alignment warranty for Les Schwab so I shouldn't have to pay for another alignment.

It was an honest mistake and I have no hard feelings. Thank you again for your detailed guide and assistance that makes this community the best!
No problem! Glad to hear you're within your alignment warranty so that you won't be out that extra cost.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
kdsooner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Yes and no.... As far as how far the tires will stick out, yes the numbers will be fairly similar. But because the suspension on a 2500 is way different there's way more clearance on the inside. So the inside clearance numbers don't apply. You can run more of a positive offset to keep the wheels tucked under the truck but still have room for wider tires.

If you want to stick fairly flush with the flares I'd look at 20 or 22x9 +12 offset or you could go with a 0 offset if you want to be out slightly past them. Check the thread HERE on Cummins Forum. It will give you a better idea of what different set ups look like on HD trucks. The specs will be pretty much the same on 3rd and 4th gens as far as inside clearance and outward poke is concerned.
Can you repost the link to this thread? The link you posted no longer works and I can't seem to find it by searching...

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black out edition
Leomanvilla is on a distinguished road

Awesome post!!! Hell, I even printed it!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
RamNVA is on a distinguished road

My name is Rob and I am new to the site. This is by far the best post I have been able to find about this topic. I have a set of Bilstein 5100s in my closet waiting to go on when I get some wheels. I plan to go up to 2.8" and get a 1" spacer for the rear. I called rimzoneonline today about fitment and what size I could fit on my truck. I was looking at the fuel 20x9 with 0 offfset and 35x12.50 tires, but was told that they would not fit without major rubbing. I'm ok with having to trim the inner fenders if needed. I just want to make sure that I shouldn't have any issues when I buy these.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

If they tell you that setup won't fit without major rubbing they don't know what they're talking about. With Bilsteins at 2.8" and that wheel/tire you shouldn't have any rubbing at all.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
RamNVA is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the help and fast reply. Looks like I'll get these ordered soon then. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 Sport 5.7
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Jstin is on a distinguished road

Why are 34" tires so hard to find for the stock 20's? Planning on a basic level via Bilsteins or Rancho's. Guess I'll stick with 33". Obviously not a big demand for 34" tires.
2011 RAM 1500 Sport 4x4 5.7 3:55 Gears, 18" Magnaflow, Drop in K&N filter, BT CC, TonnoPro Lo-Roll, front tow hooks, cabin filter, Moes 85mm TB, Homemade CAI, Bilstein leveled 2.1", tailgate assist. AVS in channel visors, Magnaflow Y pipe, DiabloSport DCX inTune I-1000,

Last edited by Jstin; 03-22-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Accuracy.