DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
tonneaucovered.com
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4
Trim Level: Used
Color: Green
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
Another brick is on a distinguished road

I've got a, well it tells ya... that's 2nd Gen, right? What I need ta know's where's the IPM located? I've got gauge issues spinnin' me li'l head & have a hunch it's where to start ~ ?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie HEMI
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red on Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
jdhog is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the informative list Warlock III, here's some more acronyms:

MPFI = Multiport Fuel Injection - fuel is injected into each individual cylinder via a separate fuel injector in each cylinder.
TBI = Throttle Body Injection - fuel is sprayed into the carburetor body by a single fuel injector (1989? - 1993 5.2L 318c.i.d. & 5.9L 360 c.i.d. V8 engines).
TC = Traction Control
SRT10 = Limited run of Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive trucks with the Dodge Viper V10 engine & with either a Viper 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic transmission [depending on year & bodystyle (2 door or Quad Cab)].
VVT = Variable Valve Timing - controls Valve Timing on Hemi (2013 - present models)

Last edited by jdhog; 01-24-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Hawkman9 is on a distinguished road

WTH=What the hell
LOL= laughing out loud
OMG= Oh my God

Just kidding wanted to post a funny...lol
Old 10-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: blue/silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
CalvinMD is on a distinguished road

what is CVIC?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 14 1500 qc 4x4
Trim Level: big horn
Color: true blue
crfq68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
I also agree too also that it should be a sticky.

OP= "Original Poster" (When replying to a post. You in this case would be the OP Sod Farmer).
IMO= In my Opinion.
IMHO= In My Honest Opinion.
JMO= Just My Opinion

************************************************** *********************************
TFC= Transfer Case. On a 4WD vehicle it is on the rear of the Transmission and engages the 4WD.
4WD= Four Wheel Drive.
2WD=Two Wheel Drive.
CPS/CKPS= Crank Position Sensor. During running of the engine the CPS/CKPS sends a signal to the ECM/PCM/TIPM as to where the lower end of the engine is positioned to correlate the upper portion of the engine for timing, cylinder firing, etc... (Crank).

ECM= Electronic Control Module/Engine Control Module.
PCM= Power Control Module/Power-train Control Module.
TIPM= Totally Integrated Power Module.
Depending on the Gen of your vehicle the preceding three can apply. They are for lack of a better term, the computer that controls the electronics on your vehicle.
ALT= Alternator. The alternator supplies alternating current to your vehicles electronics and electrical system after the Bat/Batt has been used to start the vehicle.

Bat/Batt= Battery.

Gen 1/1st Gen= Pre 1994
Gen 2/2nd Gen= 1994-2001.
Note: There are very few 2001-2002 "cross overs" that have qualities of both the 2nd Gen and the 3rd Gen, but they do exist and can be confusing without knowing this.
Gen 3/3rd Gen= 2002-2008.
Gen 4/4th Gen= 2009-current/+
(January 2014)

Note: Ram no longer is affiliated with the "Dodge" brand and has been renamed "RAM" exclusively.

TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor. Wheel sensors that monitor the vehicles Tire Pressure to a centralized location usually displayed by an icon in the instrument panel.

ABS = Anti-Lock Brakes. An electronically controlled braking system that applies variable pressure through the vehicle's brakes to inhibit the brakes from locking and bringing the vehicle to a controlled stop.
SLS= Stop Light Switch. A switch usually located within the interior of the vehicle on or near the brake pedal to signal the stop lights to come on when braking.

NSS= Neutral Safety Switch. A switch located on the transmission of pre-4th Gen vehicles to engage the starting of the engine only in park or neutral. The NSS was also used to activate the reverse lights.

SC= Standard Cab.
CC= Crew Cab.
QC= Quad Cab.
MC= Mega Cab.

GVW= Gross Vehicle Weight. The maximum operating weight of the vehicle fully loaded

WOT= Wide Open Throttle. The action of holding the throttle all the way to the floor (Or Wide Open Throttle). Including, but not limited to: This is usually used to reset the fuel pump/relay in a No-Start condition whereas the vehicle is cranked for an enumerated amount of time (Example: 2nd Gen, 45 seconds).(Thanks Bruce E)

CTD= Cummings Turbo Diesel. (Thanks kvtcomdo)

TDC=Top Dead Center. The action of having #1 piston at the Top (Dead Center)/Apex of it's stroke. #1 piston being all the way up. Including but not limited to using when a timing component of the engine has to be aligned. (timing chain, gears, etc...)

IAC= Idle Air Control Valve. The solenoid located on the throttle body to control the air intake through the intake manifold.

TPS= Throttle Position Sensor. An electronic sensor located on the throttle that senses the position of the throttle/throttle pedal.

CEL=Check Engine Light. An indicator usually on the instrument cluster or dash panel, indicating the PCM/ECM/TIPM has detected a malfunction of the vehicle by the computer/diagnostic system.

DTC= Diagnostic Trouble Code (Thanks TechNick)

OBD= On Board Diagnostic

************************************************** *********************************

I didn't include any of the power options A/C, PWL, PDL, PS, PB, AT, MT. (Air Conditioning, Power Window Locks, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic Transmission, Manual Transmission, respectively) etc... as they may or may not be too obvious, but I do agree that a list compiled should be inclusive. Nor did I include Nused, Used vehicle, new owner.

Now if maybe one of the Admins (HZ or CD?) can start putting them in alphabetical order for the sticky? (or in order pertaining to luxury, relevance, power control, drive-line, or body)
I also thought it may be beneficial to the member to include a brief explanation of the acronym's definition and its function.

P.S. To any of the Admins and/or staff: Please feel free to update this post with additional acronyms to save the members/readers the trouble of searching a lengthy thread in the future. Member's can also be advised that if they have any input and/or additions that they can suggest this post be updated by contacting any member having a bold blue font designating them as Admin/Staff.
GVW = gross vehicle weight = the weight of vehicle
GVWR= gross vehicle weight rating = The maximum operating weight of the vehicle fully loaded.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500/2016 Ram
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl, both trucks !!
Rep:2731
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

BCM = Body Control Module

is a generic term for an electronic control unit responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic accessories in a vehicle's body. Typically in a car the BCM controls the power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, immobilizer system, central locking, etc. The BCM communicates with other on-board computers via the car's vehicle bus, and its main application is controlling load drivers – actuating relays that in turn perform actions in the vehicle such as locking the doors or dimming the salon overhead lamp.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) , 3.55 differential, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau, Line_X, DEBO Step, Mag-Hytec

2016 Ram 3.0 diesel undergoing Mods G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover
Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2016 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Delmonico Red Pearl Coat
Rep:18
1OF27 is on a distinguished road

DRW=Dual Rear Wheels
EVIC=Electronic Vehicle Information Console
Old 02-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Lakefever is on a distinguished road

DODGE = Dead On Delivery, Go Easy
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2015 RAM 1500 Reg Cab 2wd
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Brilliant Black
KNTDRV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefever View Post
DODGE = Dead On Delivery, Go Easy
& FIAT = Fix It Again Tony
Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:89
APSTRAM will become famous soon enough

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin