DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Club cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
balloo is on a distinguished road
Default Why install Catch Can

What is the reason for installing a "catch can" - -?

It seems to me that if this were necessary the manufacturer would have installed.

Also, would there be a problem if someone did not check it and empty on a regular basis - - can it become overfull and then back up ?

I could be out of the country for several months, and the person using the truck would not pay attention to this.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:103
ajd76 will become famous soon enoughajd76 will become famous soon enough

Catch cans are great for separating the oil bypass (through the PCV system) from the oil vapors and allowing only the vapors to continue to the intake track. The extracted oil sits in the can and awaits "dumping." It's an incredibly popular mod on this and other forums, but is by no means, a "necessary" mod. I've got one and love it because it keeps my throttle body clean and doesn't add oil to the intake side of my motor. Will my Hemi run fine without it? Absolutely. It doesn't make sense for Ram to install it from the factory because the cost of the catch can is much more than the cost of the plastic tube that runs from the PCV valve to the intake manifold. Plus, then it would require a line item in the maintenance schedule that would likely be overlooked or ignored. Left unchecked, the can could fill up and oil could move into the intake manifold, but it would take some time for that to happen. In the summer months, it took months to fill the can half-way. In the winter, it filled up quicker, but even after not checking it for a couple months (and roughly 3,000 miles), it was in no danger of filling up. There are many here who are running without a catch can with 100k+ trouble-free miles. It's an incredibly simple install, so when you leave the country, you can just disconnect the hoses and put the factory plastic tube back on and not have to worry about whether or not your other driver is checking it. This option takes less than 5 minutes. When I deployed, I did this so my wife wouldn't have to worry about checking the can. Bottom line, running a catch can has no real performance gains...it just makes the driver feel good that he/she isn't dumping oil (very small amounts of it) into the intake.
Mopar bed rails, Mopar chrome fuel door, Mopar mud flaps, Mopar door sill protectors, Mopar electronic tailgate lock, Ram LL leather shifter, DeeZee tailgate assist, Access tonneau cover, cabin air filter mod, Magnaflow Y-pipe, & Westin Platinum oval nerf bars.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Express
Color: Black
Rep:15
303Ram is on a distinguished road

I just added a BT CC last week. I purchased this truck used with 20k. I was really surprised how dirty the underside of the throttle body was in such a short amount of time. I feel much better knowing most of that crud isn't making its way into the intake anymore. I'm very anxious to check again in 10-20k to see how well of a job the CC is doing.

Only 20k

Cat Back Exhaust or True Duals
Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

its not necessary but its a good preventative maintenance option.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Toilet Paper isn't really "necessary" either
...but it sure makes your underwear last longer.

Think of a catch can as good hygiene for your Hemi.

My CMR tuner wont even custom tune a Hemi unless the owner runs a catch can
because he knows he cant get maximum performance out of a gummed up intake manifold.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I don't have one on my Ram, but I run a small K&N type filter on the breather that comes out of the oil filler pipe. The Vararam hemi under glass actually supplied one. Just plug any hole in your intake where the breather hose connected.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl Clearcoat
Rep:18
Slitherbeast is on a distinguished road

The PCV system has One function. That is to create a vacuum in the crankcase. The only place to get vacuum is the intake. When pressure builds, from blowby, It has to go somewhere.Rerouting the PCV hose over to a can, helps to catch the oil ,but If the hose plugs, you will notice leaks at any or all the seals yet nothing wrong with them. Catch can's are important to engines with alot of blowby, for whatever reason. but should be inline with a vacuum line as well.Vacuum in the crankcase helps the engine seals seal. .............my 2 cents
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Club cab
Color: White
Rep:12
balloo is on a distinguished road

To: ajd76 - - thanks for the reply, and information. Sound like you know what you are talking about.
Cheers, Balloo
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:10
hemitrx4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherbeast View Post
The PCV system has One function. That is to create a vacuum in the crankcase. The only place to get vacuum is the intake. When pressure builds, from blowby, It has to go somewhere.Rerouting the PCV hose over to a can, helps to catch the oil ,but If the hose plugs, you will notice leaks at any or all the seals yet nothing wrong with them. Catch can's are important to engines with alot of blowby, for whatever reason. but should be inline with a vacuum line as well.Vacuum in the crankcase helps the engine seals seal. .............my 2 cents
So doesn`t that mean that the Vararam intake that removes that vacuum tube and replaces it with a breather cap isn`t as good for the engine as a cai that still uses it?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:11
gsalgado is on a distinguished road

I am still on the fence about this mod.