DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:99
TJC.geotech will become famous soon enough

That cam is way to big for a stock 5.9. Way to big.

Max total duration I would put in something like that with headers and an intake is 268~270. New matching valve springs at the same time.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

What do you mean, no O2 sensor? The cat has nothing to do with a primary O2 sensor. The fuel injection is a feedback system. The O2 sensor is required to properly meter the fuel. Without it you basically go to 80%+ of full rich constantly. That's akin to just pouring gas into the throttle body at a constant rate regardless of engine speed. You run way rich at low speeds, the the higher you go, the leaner you run. Even a factory smogger carburetor would do better than that.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Tgresch is on a distinguished road

im saying the o2 behind the cat is gone everything cat forward electronic wise is going back in and if im feeling rely anxious and rich i may replace some things up there too
Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:49
glcarter is on a distinguished road

You need either a muffler or cat to provide enough back pressure for the O2 sensors to work properly. They need to have the back pressure to get to operating temp to work right. At least that was what I was told at the dealer.

When I started reading this thread the first thought was the cat was bad. They were actually recalled at one time. The ceramic would break and the holes through it would no longer line up, that is what happened to mine. Got so bad that I would have to down shift the manual trans to climb a slight grade.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgresch View Post
im saying the o2 behind the cat is gone everything cat forward electronic wise is going back in and if im feeling rely anxious and rich i may replace some things up there too
Oh, okay. Not a problem. I thought you were saying you weren't using ANY O2 sensors.

The free-flowing exhaust will only slightly delay the warm-up time for the O2 sensor. We are talking a couple minutes. No big deal. Sorta like the difference between startup in the summer vs startup in the winter. Naturally, the closer the sensor is to the total exhaust output (like where the factory joins the two before the cat), the better. I wouldn't put much stake in any performance info from the dealer. I once had a dealer state that I couldn't even change to a free-flowing muffler because it'd likely throw the computer off and it'd be illegal, and I'd get in trouble with the Feds.

Yeah.... Right..... Stick to sellin' cars Chief.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

lol yea the xpipe is for the back pressure you want some back pressure enough so your engine isnt just spitting out exhaust but not so much it chokes it out easy way of thinking about it think of race vehicles or pulling trucks where is there cat? no where the more free flow you have the more ponies and torque you have which is why 100% of the time performance vehicles are running open headers. Also on another note at least here in wiscansin even if i had stock exhaust and put a tip on it would be illegal for altered exhaust so i decided to go big and completly replace my exhaust. 99% of the time dealers have no clue what they are saying they just want you to buy the oem through them so they can make money
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

well its been awhile im havent gotten any pics up yet but as soon as i get them on the computer i will post them. all i had was some pics of the parts and the engine after the manifolds came off. To be honest no joke it only took about 45 minutes to get the manifolds off just shot them with some pb blaster and they were the easiest nuts ive ever taken off a vehicle. Also another update i finally broke down and bought a sound system and hopefully ile have it put in within the week and get pics will go up