DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
chill8160 is on a distinguished road
Default Odd clicking sound

Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to put this but I put it here anyways. Also, I've researched this topic before I posted but couldn't find anything that was similar to the problem I'm having.

Four days ago I went mudding. It wasn't very intense, less intense than I usually drive off road. When in 4wd there were a few odd squeaks coming from who knows where but I didn't really think anything of it. Once I got back in 2wd on the road however, an odd clicking sound appeared and it sounds like it's coming from one of the wheels. I can never tell which one it comes from because I'm always driving inside the cab. The clicking speeds up and slows down with the speed, and engine acceleration and braking have no effect on it, so obviously it's something down in the wheel area. It (may) get quieter when I turn, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't effect anything such as steering, traction, stability, etc. It just clicks, and clicks, and clicks. I feel like it's starting to get louder and A) I don't want anything to fall apart and B) I hate when people stare at my truck because it sounds bad.

Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram crew cab sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: True blue pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
hemi4452 will become famous soon enough

Check your wheel for a stone or something stuck in the tread. I had a bolt in my tire and made the clicking sound.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Exactly what he said ^^

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Rep:10
chill8160 is on a distinguished road

I just looked and there are a ton of little pebbles in the treads. Nothing that I feel would be big enough to make that loud of a sound though? It's 10:00 at night right now for me, so tomorrow during the day I'll take every single pebble out and see if it fixes it or not.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Wheel-joint? Could be the u-joint at one of the front wheels getting ready to take a powder. Jack it, and check for play. Make sure you are in 4x4, and locked. Then jack and support. Look for play along that whole driveline while you are at it. Check wheel bearings also. Rock top-to-bottom of the tire. That can do hub, as well as, ball joint.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I agree with Laz, that you have an axle joint (or2) that's fix'in to let go. crawl beneath and look for the universal joint at the pivot point of the wheel when steered, shove a big screwdriver in the joint and see if anything wiggles in the direction of rotation at the joint. I would do this without being in 4wd. Also, if you have a squeak in 4wd, check the back end of the front driveshaft by jerking up & down, no slop authorized, if you have slop, get a ballsocket rebuild kit for the double carden joint, may as well buy the associated ujoints for the driveshaft as well, since you're in there. The worn ballsocket is also indicated by severe high frequency vibration at speed, in 4wd. One other thing, if you find worn axle joints, avoid using 4wd, and if you must use it, DO NOT make any sharp turns, you have a high probability of destroying the yokes on the axle stub and the half shaft when the u-joint lets go. then it starts to cost real money... A torch comes in really handy for all this work, but it can be done with pretty much any toolbox, your axle nut will be 1&11/16.