DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: black & white
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
lpback is on a distinguished road
Default trailer brake controller

I have a '05 3500 Diesel, trailer brake controller started having intermittent problems, hard to adjust and only working in manual mode, then it totally quit. Checked fuse, ok, so I put in a new controller and it only works in manual mode. Replaced stop light switch, didn't help. Any suggestions?
Thx.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 3500 cummins SRW
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Dark green
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Bigdaddy1214 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Brake Controller problem

I have the same problem with my 03 3500 SRW. I called Hopkins who made my controller told them I also purchased the quick hookup harness that plugs into the blue plug near the back of the parking brake. Well they first asked me if I checked the fuse marked CHMSL I believe its like #20 in the fuse panel its for the cental high mounted stop light at the rear of the cab and its on its own circuit and thats what they are tapping into to run the brake controller. Well I checked my fuse and it was still good so Hopkins has a Lifetime warranty on the controllers that they make so I asumed that the controller must be bad. I returned it to where I purchased it did not even need a reciept. They gave me the new controller but after I installed it I still have no response when hitting the brake pedal. If I use the controller only button its getting a readout and my wiring had power to the plug on the controller. So if your lucky enough to have a blown fuse it may fix yours but I still have to hit my button. A freind of mine told me to run a ground wire directly to the controller itself he said if its not grounding itself it will cause the same problem. I am going to do that now. Good luck hope that helped out.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: black & white
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
lpback is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that info Bigdaddy, I'll check it out.