DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express QC 4x4
Color: Black on black on black on ...
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Ski31 is on a distinguished road
Default "Military Friendly" employers

As I am making my transition into civilian life, I am posting job resumes on just about every job board, making phone calls, and applying for just about any job out there. I try to find "military friendly" employers, but just about any job they have posted you need XX amount years of experience PLUS a bachelors degree.

Now, I can understand officers and senior enlisted folk having bachelors, but junior enlisted guys, especially in the infantry, have just about zero college. It's damn hard to go to school while training and deploying all the time.

I feel like these "Military Friendly" employers are just saying that to show they are doing their patriotic duty to hire vets. But I find it hard to believe. I think it is just a show, a front, a misconception that they actually hire vets. Maybe they hire someone and they just HAPPEN to be a vet. Plus it is a giant tax break to hire a vet.

Anyone else have a problem landing a job on their way out the door of the military?
Let me hear your experience.

ALSO! If you are in San Diego area and may know of a job opening, please let me know!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
kilrram is on a distinguished road

I really doubt that any employer will hire someone just because they were in the military. Although there may be tax breaks for the business, they still need someone who meets that job qualifications to be able to do the job. It's the experience, qualifications, certifications, leadership and discipline that employers seek when looking at prior military to fill positions. It seems as though you are looking for jobs you don't necessarily qualify for.

The high ops tempo, deployments, training for deployments, etc... can make it difficult to complete a BS degree. Do you have your Post 911 GI Bill? If so, USE IT!!!! They will cover your tuition and pay you a housing allowance (at E5 rate for your location). Get the degree that will qualify you for the jobs you are looking for.

It's federally mandated that all services provide military leaving the service transition classes and assistance. The Air Force has a week long class that Airmen (Officer & Enlisted) can attend which covers resume writing, job hunting interviewing, benefits and tons more information for Airmen leaving active duty. Which ever service you are in has the same/similar thing. You can use online sources such as militaryonesource.com, they have a ton of information for transitioning service members too.

Hope that helps and good luck on your transition to civilian status!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski31 View Post
As I am making my transition into civilian life, I am posting job resumes on just about every job board, making phone calls, and applying for just about any job out there. I try to find "military friendly" employers, but just about any job they have posted you need XX amount years of experience PLUS a bachelors degree.

Now, I can understand officers and senior enlisted folk having bachelors, but junior enlisted guys, especially in the infantry, have just about zero college. It's damn hard to go to school while training and deploying all the time.

I feel like these "Military Friendly" employers are just saying that to show they are doing their patriotic duty to hire vets. But I find it hard to believe. I think it is just a show, a front, a misconception that they actually hire vets. Maybe they hire someone and they just HAPPEN to be a vet. Plus it is a giant tax break to hire a vet.

Anyone else have a problem landing a job on their way out the door of the military?
Let me hear your experience.

ALSO! If you are in San Diego area and may know of a job opening, please let me know!
I work at the port of SD, at a painting and blasting company, work is plentiful and the pay is decent. Work is hard, but good...

Almost all of the companies around here are vet friendly, but don't rely on that alone. (I'm former USCG, but also have 10yrs experience as a mechanic).

What kind of experience or skills do you have? PM me if you like...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

You might consider looking into the railroads too. Many of the railroads hire people with absolutely no experience in the railroad field. This is mainly because railroading is so much different than pretty much any other career field. Due to the screwy schedule most railroads will provide preferential hiring for vets, as they tend to be less likely to want to party every weekend, they tend to adapt to a changing work times well, and over all tend to be more reliable employees.

If you do a quick Google search for the bigger railroads, you can probably find their web sites and eventually find their careers or employment sections. Some examples of the bigger railroads are Union Pacific (UP), Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF), Kansas City Southern (KCS), CSXT, Canadian National (CN), IC just to name a few.

There will probably be quite a few of the smaller (short lines) also hiring.

Good luck and thanks for your service

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Start thinking long term Government jobs, they all have Pensions
Speaking Central Mexican Spanish is a huge plus

North Island, Camp Pendleton, Miramar, Border Patrol, Homeland Security,
Transportation Security Administration
Caltrans, Parks & Recreation, Dept. of Forestry, County Weights & Measures

private companies like
NASSCO, General Dynamics,
construction companies like
Daley, Hazard, Lusardi

If you want to travel, trucking companies will train you, most big ones have Terminals around Fontana
C.R. England, ( don't fall for their gimmicks, like truck leasing, etc. ), remain a Company Driver, you will have to be Team Driver
Swift trucking, Schneider National, Inc. ,
Larger trucking companies also have Warehouse employees, ie: Roadway

UPS & FedEx have both local & long haul drivers, as well as Warehousing

Don't settle for just anything, but put yourself out there NOW !!
When all of those Military Reservists are brought back home, they will be looking too
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

take any job you can find and use your GI bill.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
romadrod is on a distinguished road

I recommend www.militaryfriendly.com to get you started looking.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
rdm1465 is on a distinguished road

What is wrong with staying in longer? Or, even taking on another Government job. That way you can count your military time towards retirement from that job. I personally do not believe the numbers of the unemployed coming out of Washington, D.C.. But, in any case, there have been good suggestions posted above. You mentioned being Infantry. If you are looking for direct job related field, you will have to look into the Security and Police fields. Security jobs are much easier to get obviously than Police/Sheriff positions. But, at least a good stepping stone and you can still take classes. But, whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
mopar44o is on a distinguished road

A real friendly employer for military in Canada is GE. I'm not sure about GE USA but its worth a check.. Also many the Ontario Provincial Police just put out a recruitment drive for military. Any interest in LEO? I'm sure US LEO would be interested.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Black
birm is on a distinguished road

As others have mentioned, relying on the Military alone will not get you very far. Why not use your GI Bill, go to school, get your degree and work a side job at as a waiter or at home depot (Mil Friendly), Lowes or something like that?

Everyone these days appreciates the vets, but if you are not qualified to do the job, than I wouldn't expect much beyond "thank you for your service"...