DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9
Rep:19
CCD.Disaster is on a distinguished road
Default "No Bus" and "CCD"

Ok, I'm new here, but REALLY hoping to get some ideas/help.
This is going to be a long read, but I feel the details are needed.
Truck:
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD 5.9 ~160k miles
Situation:
Went one day to head out, started the truck like normal, went to adjust the radio and after about 30 seconds the engine died (just like I turned off the ignition). No stutter, no rough idle, etc. Trying to restart it would turn over fine, but no firing.
Always wanting to rule out the simple, I went and got a couple gallons of gas and put it in the tank to rule out a defect fuel gauge/sender. Still, no-go on the starting. With the miracle of starting fluid, I was able to get it going again. It ran fine for about 15 minutes and died again. I tried to pull ODB codes during that 15 minute run, but no tripped codes or pending codes were present.
After several attempts and a couple successes (run between 5-20 minutes), I started getting "No Bus" errors in the odometer when the engine would die. Eventually I started seeing "CCD" in the overhead display as well. During the times that "No Bus" and "CCD" are displayed, I also cannot communicate with my ODB scanner.
Troubleshooting step:
I have tried turning the ignition on with the following sensors disconnect to isolate a shorted sensor:
Idle Air Control
Manifold Absolute Pressure
Crank Position Sensor
Intake Air Temperature
Coil Signal
I have also done the following:
I have tested each fuse.
Removed/cleaned large "bolt" connector in the power distribution (under hood)
Removed/cleaned the three connectors going to the PCM
Checked/clean PCM ground
Cleaned battery terminal posts
Removed/cleaned the large "bolt" connector on the junction block (next to parking brake)
Electrical testing:
Tested the IAT sensor for 5V at key on
Tested the IAT sensor for ground
Also, tested IAT harness for short (with PCM unglugged)
Tested the MAP sensor for 5V at key on
Tested the MAP harness for short (with PCM unglugged)
Tested CCD bus resistance (60ohm) from radio CCD connector
Tested CCD for signal at DLC (Data Link Connector pins 3/11) with o-scope and getting a definitive signal

Well, there it is... This truck has given me 10+ years/160K miles of 100% reliability. So, while I am getting a little frustrated, I'm not about to throw in the towel. Any ideas/help/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Team Drew/Captain

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

There is a possibility that the plug on the back of the speedometer cluster is bad, or it or the ECM has taken a leave of absence.

The easiest way for me to explain it is that it has a severed spinal cord (Theoretically speaking)

The arms and legs are working just fine, but they don't know what to do because the brain isn't getting any signals.

"No Bus" means there's no communication. It's a relatively simple procedure to rule out before you start searching for an ECM and throwing money at old-faithful.

Remove the instrument cluster bezel and then the instrument cluster. Inspect the circuiting where the plug enters the cluster for very fine cracks. If you happen to find one or two a small dab of solder can fix it.

If that proves unfruitful, then move to step two.

Also make sure there are no breaks in the body ground (back of the engine to firewall) the wiring leading from the battery into the truck and the ground at the battery.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm willing to check/double check any suggestions. So, I will double check the grounds. I will also check the connector on the cluster.

Would the connector on the instrument cluster cause the overhead to display "CCD"? My understanding (not to say it's accurate) is that everything on the CCD bus is connected in parallel. So as long as I have one terminating module present (and 60ohms on the bus "should" mean that two are present)...the remaining items will still communicate.

Also, if anyone knows. Being that the the PCM unit is programmed to the specific vehicle, would there being any harm in using a junkyard PCM (same year/engine) as a troubleshooting tool? AKA: Plug in a junkyard PCM to determine if "No Bus" goes away and THEN buying a programmed unit if the junkyard unit fixes the problem.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Team Drew/Captain

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

I've interchanged "used" ECM/PCM's repeatedly...5.9 to 5.2 and back. I worked in recycling yards for over 20 years and have found that they are readily interchangeable.

As for the overhead display running parallel. Your getting a no bus and CCD at the same time whick sounds to me like they are communicating between themselves, but they're not communicating with the engine components.

I may be wrong, and if I am, this wouldn't be the first time.

I just thought it prudent to mention the instrument cluster plug before spending any money to diagnose it.

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 03-31-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Warlock, thanks a million for the input.
Here's the current status:
I cleaned reseated the instrument cluster. It seemed promising at first, the "NoBus" and "CCD" errors went away and the truck started. Unfortunately, the engine did die (same as before), but this time the errors did not come back and I was able to immediately restart the truck.
After multiple start/die/restart cycles, the "NoBus" and "CCD" did come back... but only occasionally.
BIG NOTE HERE IF IT HELPS ANYONE ELSE:
I previously stated that I checked the CCD bus for signal though the DLC (Data Link Connector). I did this by measuring voltage differential (with a oscilloscope) between PINS 3/11 on the DLC (which I was getting). What I did this time was measure the CCD+ and CCD- independently. What I noticed was a clear signal on CCD-, but the CCD+ was not a clear signal. From what I read, these two should be exact inverse signals.

Now, I continued to check connectors, looking to isolate the problem. While not definitive, the most likely culprit seemed to be C3 (connector 3) on the PCM. After cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning... followed by reseating, reseating, and reseating... I still could not keep the engine running more than about 15 minutes.
Armed with the PCM interchangeability knowledge from Warlock, (THANKS AGAIN WARLOCK!!!) in went to the junkyard and picked up a PCM module from a 2001 5.2. SIDENOTE: I noticed that the PCM module itself has the same exact part number as my 5.9 PCM, it's just the flash that is different. I installed the 2001 5.2 PCM in the truck and fired it up. It fired up perfectly and threw no codes. I again tested the CCD bus for signal. Perfect signal on both lines!!!! Well, the truck has now been running for 40+ minutes, no issues.
I'm not out of the woods yet, but I have more hope than I have had for the past week. I will post updates as time goes on.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It successfully ran for 3+ hours... no codes... no stalls.
It appears that the PCM may have solved it. I will going for a test drive in the next couple of days. Pending the results of that, I will hopefully be putting the car back in the garage and be driving the truck daily again.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Team Drew/Captain

That's great news. I was hoping you wouldn't have to spring for a new/used PCM, but it was a small price to pay.

Thanks for getting back to us.

DISCLAIMER
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Update

Well, I used the truck as normal this weekend. Did my normal errands for a total of about 20-25 miles. The truck did great. No issues. So, in the end it was the PCM. The good news is that the used PCM was only $20.

After all this, I can honestly say I understand how my truck works about 20 times more than I did before. I did have the luxury of taking my time resolving the issue, but I will say to anyone else having issues with electrical problems... stop, take a breath and troubleshoot. Throwing parts at a problem always cost you money, seldom saves you time, and never gains you knowledge.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

Proud of you for actually taking the time to check things! You also have the ability, obviously. Did you ever actually do an OBDII scan of it? Did you get a "NOBUS" or "CHECKSUM" error?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town.
Yes, I did an OBDII scan. When the "No Bus"/"CCD" problem was actively displayed, my scan tool could not communicate with the PCM. If I recall, it gave me a "Communication Error". During the times that the error were not actively displayed, the scan tool would read perfectly and did not find any codes (not even pending).