DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '11 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
Bry will become famous soon enough
Default Mystery leaking tire: Need suggestions

As the title states, I have a mysterious leak in one of my tires.

2 days ago, I had new aftermarket rims and tires installed. For the first 24 hours, there were no air pressure related problems. I did have a balancing issue that was sorted out yesterday. This morning I woke up to a flat front passenger side tire. I re-inflated the tire to it's recommended pressure (44 psi) and checked the entire tire for punctures. Nothing.

6 hours later, I was able to take the truck to the local automotive facility. By then the tire had lost 12 psi.

With the wheel still on the truck, they inflated and sprayed a soapy water mix every where: treads, sidewalls, rim, and valve. Over 10 minutes, they found zero bubbles. So they took the wheel off and threw it in the tank. Again, they found nothing and had no explanation for why it was leaking. The did tighten the valve core, or tried to.

It's been 4 hours since I left the shop, and the tire has lost 8 psi. So the leak is a steady 2 psi per hour.

If it helps, the truck has been driven about 40 miles in the past 2 days, has hit zero potholes, or anything that could potentially bend the rim and did not start leaking until some time last night (assuming the current 2 psi/hr leak).

Have any of you ever encountered a situation like this, or point me in the direction of a solution?
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar inflation issue, not quite that much loss in pressure in such a short time
The problem was only solved when i exchanged that tire & wheel for different ones

The only difference that i can see between those & a Ram is that if you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on your Ram, could it be causing the leak ??
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I had a similar inflation issue, not quite that much loss in pressure in such a short time
The problem was only solved when i exchanged that tire & wheel for different ones

The only difference that i can see between those & a Ram is that if you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on your Ram, could it be causing the leak ??
With that amount of air loss, I am literally shocked that A: you can't audibly hear the air coming out, and B: it's not producing any bubbles with both the soapy water, and the dunk tank.

Good question with the TPMS. I did not have the sensors transferred over from my OEM's because the aftermarket rims and tires came mounted from the business I purchased them from, and forgot to mention that I even needed TPMS sensors during the ordering process.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram R/T
Rep:10
Aggie86 is on a distinguished road

Cant answer why you dont see any bubbles but would highly suspect a leak in the wheel itself. Ive seen them be defective from the factory a few times in the past.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie86 View Post
Cant answer why you dont see any bubbles but would highly suspect a leak in the wheel itself. Ive seen them be defective from the factory a few times in the past.

I'm preparing for that to be the case. I'm going to try a different tire shop to see if they also can't locate the source of the leak. I'll have them check the regular spots as well as taking the tire off and checking the bead, the seat, the inside of the rim. If they can't find it, I'll pursue a warranty claim.

Thanks for both responses!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:39
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Have them go to 60lbs psi and tank the tire and wheel see if that shows the source of the leak. Good luck.
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver, Truxedo bed lites, Hunter SS bull bar, .
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1056
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
Have them go to 60lbs psi and tank the tire and wheel see if that shows the source of the leak. Good luck.
Yeah, I agree with this. The reason it's not showing in the tank is because there isn't enough pressure on the tire without the weight of the vehicle on it. 2psi per hour loss on the truck is going to be nothing off the truck. Raise the pressure and try again.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:51 AM

Updating...

Took it to a few shops last week. NAPA, Tuffy's, and a local garage, wouldn't touch it because they didn't want to screw up a 3 day old 24" rim. Fair enough, I guess. I respected their decision.

Goodyear OTOH, had no problem taking it in. They found a small puncture in the tire, and only found it by taking the tire off the rim. They weren't sure what caused it because there wasn't a foreign object embedded in the tire, however they showed me the puncture and it wasn't much bigger than a pin hole. Patched and plugged it. Fixed. However, they beat them rim up pretty good. They are paying for the rim to be repaired, and referred me to a company here in Tampa that does it. Bitter sweet.

Thanks for the help Z!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:39
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Glad you got it fixed. I don't understand plug and patch. I thought you did either not booth. I would think the plug would interfere with the patch???
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver, Truxedo bed lites, Hunter SS bull bar, .
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

That method confuses me also

Although now, it seems that most every tire store chain is told to do both

No one uses what are called HOT Patches any more, they were mostly used on tire tubes

The theory now is, if you place a patch on the inside of a tire, water can still enter through the exterior hole of the puncture & therefore have access to the metal banding in the tires core & over time rust that metal. Rust would cause separation of the metal bands & the rubber

Plugging would fill the puncture hole & keep water away from the metal bands

?? Possibly the patch on the inside keeps water/moisture from entering the puncture from the inside, therefore again protecting the metal bands ??

Air that comes from a compressor would always have a small amount of water & compressor oil in it, even if you have a water separator in the line, that may be why everyone seems to be pushing the use of Nitrogen in the tires
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle