DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Gray
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
SHNNGNS is on a distinguished road
Default MPG - Hand Calc VS Computer

I have read some different posts on here about the trip computer displaying higher MPG's vs hand calculating them out. I have stumbled across something that may offer a bite of an explanation. When the truck is in Park and running it does not calculate MPG's (it displays --- instead of "0" when in drive). This means if you use your remote start (or start and let truck warm up/cool down manually) that fuel being burned is not being counted towards the MPG display in your truck. However, your hand calculation uses total miles driven and total gallons used.

Example: If you use your remote start and it uses 1 gallon of gas idling over a tank here is the difference.

You drive 400 miles and use 22 gallons, but only 21 gallons while in Drive.

That would be 18.1 MPG hand calculated (400/22).

However, your display would read 19 because it only sees you burning 21 gallons while in drive, not 22 gallons (400/21).

Thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Cherry red
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Dr Honda is on a distinguished road

The one in my 2010 4.7L seems to be close. maybe, within a 1/2mpg.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

Yes it does meter and factor in idling into your fuel economy. Due to the severity of the winter this year, I used the remote start often. The mileage would always be lower than when I shut the truck down the night before, when I put it in "D".
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:500
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Mine has become more accurate the more I've driven the truck, and my dad's 2009 Ram was the same way. The farther you run our tank down the more accurate it seems to become. I think another part of it may have to do with the truck learning your driving style but I don't know for sure. I now have a little over 13,200 miles on my truck and on my last trip the computer was off by no more than 0.06MPG compared to hand calc at any fillup, which I consider pretty good since the computer only displays MPG to one decimal place. When I first got the truck it was off by about 2.0MPG.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Mine is very accurate, not good, just accurate. hehe.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
Blackhawk is on a distinguished road

I log every tank of gas - date, miles, gallons, & (MPG from the computer). Have for many years, in several vehicles. Hand calc can give some weird numbers once in awhile. 15 mpg on one tank followed by 21 on the next. But this is rare. However, periodically I sit & average the readings. After 5 - 10 fill ups you can get a REAL reading of what kind of MPG you are getting. The computers in the vehicles I have had have NEVER been accurate. Usually about 10% high compared to reality. My new Ram keeps telling me I am getting 19+ mpg - NOT! Reality is a little over 17. I do no idling except at stop lights. Most of my driving is country.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:20
PaulBx is on a distinguished road

The computers are (I think) adding tiny increments of fuel together to come up with their result, and that naturally has to be less accurate than what the gas pump says. Also the computer has no idea of correct miles, while you CAN correct your odometer reading if you want to by using those mileage markers you see on the freeway sometimes. I use the computer display only to help my driving habits, but when I really want to know I calculate it myself.

It is possible, at the pump, to get inconsistent readings. Different pumps might have different sensitivity in the shutoff or different speeds in filling, or the ground may be sloped differently, or the tank temperature may be different (this assumes you fill the same way every time, not topping up some times but not others). To get really accurate numbers you need to average over several tanks, as Blackhawk says. I used to use a spreadsheet to do this but now with fuelly.com I don't bother. So I have the lifetime mpg but not the "last 10 tanks" mpg which makes it harder to see trends, unfortunately.

Here's my other car:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/paulx/passat
Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I know that my odometer is off by approximately 3 miles per 100
this is because i am not running OEM tires

I have one job that i do often, several other of my competitors do the same trip.
My odometer always reads 133 miles, the other people say that their odometer reads 136 miles.
We all get paid by the mileage driven, so if i used my odometer reading, i would short myself $4.50 every time that i make that trip
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Quad Cab 8sp
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:46
gofish101 is on a distinguished road

It looks like some of you reset after every fill. Why not just keep the computer calculating, does it not add the fill amount to a running total. That's what I do.
I have 1900 miles on my truck, maybe 200 miles on the highway the rest is city and winter fuel. I admit I do like to hear the hemi roar periodically. With all that my evic shows 13.4 mpg. Is this not the running total to date? How is this all affected by disconnecting the battery terminals?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 HFE
Trim Level: SLT / HFE
Color: White w/ brown&beige interior
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Hemi HFE is on a distinguished road

on my 2013 HFE, I can confirm :

1. the EVIC does include the idle time in the FE calcs
2. my first full tank hand-calc was within 0.2 of the EVIC,
with the EVIC actually lower, but-

as pointed out above, due to the difficulty in 'filling up' the tank to the same point every time,
it is more accurate to look at a running average of the last couple tanks FE..
or, in other words, don't be surprised to see some variability in hand-calc vs. EVIC.

but IMO the EVIC seems pretty darn close...

I use
Trip 1 for the tank-to-tank;
Trip 2 for short sections I'm interested in;
and the main screen FE for longer trip 'legs' e.g. 3-500 mile sections