DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 PM
gixxerrider2007

Unhappy 03 3500 front end all over road

hi i have 03 3500 single wheel deisel auto 4x4
i was havin death wobble thats fixed by a mechnic he changed all front ball joints upper and lower, but on upper installed adjustable type why i dont know because stock u cant addjust caster camber because soild axel. ever since then the truck has been hard to keep in one lane u are costantly makin corrections he has had the truck 5 times says nothin wrong. he has wheel aligned it and i have hade done 2 more times every one says the align was ****ed but know its perfect. but still cannot drive it luckly i have two more trucks but i would like to drive this one with out getting a work out. also brakes and rotors and brake lines replaced after problem maech said this is why it was pullin but again he was wrong.
iam thinking about just havin dealer replace all 4 ball joints with factory type and see if it works but very expansive what if dealer says they dont know. please if any one can help ps tires are 50 5 traed and i rotated still no diff thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 PM
madmax0r

Hey,

I had something happen like that to me, It ended up being bad alignment.. toed out

that doesn't sound like your problem, however I was gonna say you might check your Pittman arm, that thing got loose on my truck during that whole process. It would be disastrous if it fell off..

cheers
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

the ball joints in this oppinion does not affect this, the adjustable ones are so much better i seen the same problems in the shop what you need to do is get a printout of the alignment it should show camber then caster then toe but it can make a difference if your rear-end is tweaked without seeing your truck on the rack its hard to decipher whats causing the pull because if your printout is in the green and caster and camber are not on the same note it can cause a pull i would have the alignment checked with another shop just to see if you do so get the printout and post the specs from it then i'll be able to tell you right or wrong so you wont have to go through all the money for the front end again for nothing
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 04 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:10
acooperjr is on a distinguished road

gixxerrider07

I just bought an 04 2500 4x4 that had the death woble fixed before I got it. I think this is the same frontend as yours. It got new Heavy Duty parts from Mopar. The parts included, tie rod ends, center link, steering stablizer, pan hard bar, and a Napa steering box. The mech that did the work said the new HD parts from Mopar are a lot bigger in diameter than the original or Napa parts are.

I don't know what parts fixed the woble, but when I got the truck I could not keep it in my lane without constant input , left then right,left,right.........
I got the truck home and since it just got a new steering box I figured it needed adjusting. I loosened the adjuster on the steering box 1/2 a turn and now it's a lot better. Now I can relax when driving and it's easy to keep in my lane.

I think maybe someone tightend your steering box, trying to get rid of the woble(this is what my guy did) and caused another problem. If I were you I would try to loosen the adjuster 1/2 turn and try it. It's easy to do and if that isn't it then just put it back, just keep track of how far you move it. The adjuster is a bolt with an allen head in the top, with a nylock nut to lock it in place. It's located on the top towards the front of the steer box.
You need to hold the bolt from turning with the allen wrench, while you loosen the lock nut,
then turn the bolt 1/2 turn counter clockwise with the allen,
then while holding the bolt in place, tighten the lock nut. and take it for a ride.

If that doesn't do it then try this steering box stabilizer link below. http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/151P
I am going to get one for my truck, but haven't tried it yet.
Like the link says you need to make sure all your front end parts are good first.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

A.C.

P.S. I have an 07 Yamaha FJR 1300. Life is short so ride safe and ride often

Last edited by acooperjr; 01-28-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added ps
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge ram 2500 5.9l
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Inferno red
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Texas94 is on a distinguished road

if you could post the specs from the alignment sheet we could probably figure out your problem. Those adjustable ball joints adjust camber and caster. caster is most likely off if its just a drift