DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
Deathrend is on a distinguished road
Default People considering the upgrade

I've been thinking about writing this for a week or two now and it's mostly just what I've seen. This may or may not be useful, hopefully someone will find it a good read, for those of you that don't, I'll toss ins a pretty picture or two!

Anyway.. Three weeks ago, I started a new job that pays a lot more but took away my company vehicle. Since then I've been commuting roughly 80 miles a day round trip. To save money and miles, I tend to drive my old (Now wife's truck) to and from work most of the time. Typically I drive mine two days, her's three.

Aside from a CAI, her truck has zero performance mods. It's a 1500 Sport CCSB 2wd with no LSD. My 2500 is a CCMB CTD with 4.10/LSD and zero mods other than a Ranch Hand grill guard Ram was nice enough to buy for me.

What I'm wanting to talk about is the difference in driving. I often see people asking what it's like driving a 2500 after a 1500.

Let's start by talking power. The 1500 feels really sporty, hangs on in corner's like a champ (Even with my two bald tires..). When you stomp the throttle you don't have the huge takeoff feeling, you expect, but it does take off rather quickly. The truck feels very light.

With the 2500, You feel the power, any little pressure change on the "Giggle Peddle" makes a noticeable difference in speed. I often have to set my cruse just to keep myself from jumping 10 mph in speed without even noticing it. When you floor it, it feels like a beast. It will bark the tires through the first three gear shifts without missing a beat. With that said, you really don't move very fast though, it's all bark so to speak. While moving however the CTD has no issues passing even the most arrogant of *cough* drivers.

Ride: Every one tells you the ride will suffer, no one really explains it more than that though. You can change the ride by finding a good tire PSI, but that's not as big of a deal as you would expect (At least in the front). The back bounces. When I say it bounces, I mean it BOUNCES. You'd be wise to take tight bumpy corner's with a LOT of caution. I've swung the rear of my 2500 around twice now, both going the speed limit.

I find myself bracing for bumpy spots when driving the 1500 that I don't need to, mental training from my 2500. Places in the middle of the road that look perfectly fine that will knock your teeth out. The 1500 as you would expect soaks up even the worst of train tracks.

I also find my 2500 walking a lot. I'm not sure if it's just my truck, or if it's a common problem. It's not a huge amount, but it can take you by surprise if you hit a hard bump expectantly.

Attaching even light trailers makes a world of difference in the ride quality. Hooking my boat up made it ride like my 2500. Towing is where the 2500 shines. Honestly, if I hadn't planned on towing something above what the 1500 would do, I would never buy another.

MPG: The 1500 gets on average 19.5 MPG. I drive a fairly hilly stretch of route 66, most of the time without cruse control to get good mileage. Gas here last week was $2.94 a gallon. My 2500 gets 16.6-7 MPG going no faster than 67-68. This is driving without rushing, no fast accelerating from stop lights, coasting to stale (Soon to turn yellow) lights. I go through all of four stop lights during my trip, the rest is open road, which drops to 45 at one spot. Diesel was $3.49 a gallon here.

At those costs, it will cost me roughly $1,200 more a year to drive my 2500. You also have to consider the costs of extra maintenance and filters.

If you're thinking "Oh, I'll delete it and get good gas mileage!" Consider this. It costs $1,000/1,500 for a "Modified" street tuner, plus another $200 for a delete pipe.. For that price, you can find a cheap fuel efficient car that will save you that much over even the 1500 in a year.

For us, the truck was bought to pulled a fifth wheel. If I had it to do over again, I would have probably bought a 3500 (I may still).

It's a very fun truck to drive, people tend to notice you, more so to get out of your way. Just remember it's a purpose built machine.

I thought I would also toss this tidbit in.
My 1500 Sport has every option, I bought it in 2011 with 5,000 miles for 22,000.

The 2500 is a 2012 ST with a few minor options (Brake controller for Evic, electronic 4x4, roof lights, AT wheels). With lots of discounts, it was 34,000

My wife had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and she thought my truck was more plush than it was.

Soon to come, 3500
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White/Silver two tone
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:41
Salt And Vinegar is on a distinguished road

Great post. I've had 1500's and 2500's and noticed that the 2500 certainly will give you a stiffer ride and feels more solid. Personally I like that in a truck. As for the walk, torque will do that, and you'll also get more axle wrap as well. I noticed axle wrap mostly off-road and under hard acceleration, and the worst on washboard gravel where the rear end would bounce especially acellerating on gravel. This will plague every truck and noticed it on GMC's and Ram's and Superduties. Its worse on lifted trucks.

Two great cures for it are lift springs (centering leaf springs on lifted trucks as stock height wint be that bad) and traction bars. I did trac-bars on mine and can hit washboard gravel wide open and skim over in in a straight line with no bouncing or hopping.

I've hit it 80MPH, not that i recommend it, but it held up way better!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

you have to take the good with the bad
if you use your 2500 for pulling a trailer, then you have the best rear end ratio
if you didn't pull the trailer, different rear end ratio would give you better mileage

I have a 2009 Ram SLT fully loaded, HEMI, 3.55 ratio rear end, curb weight was 5300 pounds
i always have heavy tools & tool boxes in the bed, bringing the driving weight up to 6300 pounds
i get 17.4 MPG highway

the truck below is a diesel & he gets 24 mpg highway !!

this is his Sons truck

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 07-15-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
Deathrend is on a distinguished road

What's really sad, is that I'm still considering a 5500. The two things holding me back are.. it's going to ride even worse and at most it'll get 10-12 mpg.
Soon to come, 3500
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 5.9 diesel
Trim Level: QUAD CAB SLT 4X4
Color: white
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:80
dwanton will become famous soon enough

great write up -- I
I am leaning towards the diesel over my Hemi
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

informative write up, tks.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. Great to hear a candid contrast of the two.

Var

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau