DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '11 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
Bry will become famous soon enough
Default '11 1500 QC Sport 24" KMC Slides. Question.

So, I bit the bullet and bought rims and tires for my 2011 Ram Sport 1500 4x4. I needed new tires anyway as I had 56,000-ish on the OEM Goodyear Wrangler's.

I ordered the KMC Slides in a 24" and put Lion Hart LH-8 305/35/24 rubbers on. I've never heard of this brand, and Google didn't net me too many credible-worthy reviews, so needless to say, they weren't my first choice for tires, but for the price of the rim and tire package I said WTH. The tires will be more of a stop-gap than long-term solution for me, as I plan on going with a more recognizable manufacturer (read: one that I trust). I am a firm believer in the idea that you get what you pay for, and I don't like skimping on tires. They're just too important.

I was concerned with that wide of a tire rubbing on the control arm, and I can report that they do rub ever so slightly at full lock, and only at full lock. For the time being, I'm not going to worry about it for the simple fact that in the 3 years I've owned the truck, yesterday was the first time I ever had to fully turn left or right, and that was just to see if they rubbed.

For those of you still reading, here's my question

On to my bigger concern. When I ordered the package, the tires came mounted, and supposedly balanced. Prior to having the local tire shop mount them up, I had them throw them on a high speed balancer just to make sure. Dude said they were fine. They feel fine up to around 55 mph. At 55-ish, a tiny shimmy starts, gradually increasing as the speed increases. To me, this says the tires aren't balanced like they should be. Am I correct in thinking that they need to be balanced again? If so, has anyone ever used the dyna beads from Innovative Balancing on our trucks? I am a firm believer in their ability to correctly balance, and have used the dyna beads in a couple of cars, and on all of my motorcycles.

I think it's also worth noting that the shop I had balance and mount did everything in roughly 15 minutes (pulled my 4 stockers, balanced, and installed the 4 new ones). I'm also not ruling out the possibility that it's just the Lion Hart tires, however I feel that if there was a problem with any one of them, the problem would also occur below 55 mph.

Any opinions/suggestions? For those of you who don't like reading novels:

Cliff's Notes:

-2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport 4x4
-24" KMC Slides
-305/35/24 Lion Hart LH-8 tire Load rating: 112V XL (stock GY 20's are 114S)
-42 PSI in each
-Shimmy starts at 55-ish mph and increases as speed increases
-tires were new, but not sure how old. However, they did to appear to be in new condition.

TIA for any help!
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:73
Campbell402 will become famous soon enough

I would think that if they were out of balance it would happened under 55 as well. That said tho they could be. The shop might have rushed it they could have been off and they said what the hell. I can't really help out much sorry, but someone should chime in.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

if they have a roadforce balance machine ask them to use that instead. it creates the forces that would be experienced on the road, older balance machines just spin the tire for balance with no pressure pushing on it. Sometimes the wheel can also be the problem, not the tire.

I would start by swapping wheels around and seeing if you can follow the vibration from front to back, or side to side, might at least help you narrow down the culprit.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
Lincoln5.7 is on a distinguished road

also check to see if any other tires have a noticeable uneven tread wear (given if they are used....idk if you bought them new or not) I know that when I had a set of unevenly worn tires my truck would shake only at high speeds around 65 mph. just saying it could be the problem but im not sure.
Bullydog GT Programmer Tuner, Flowmaster 40 series, 2 Polk MM1040's, 85mm Throttle body, Volant Powercore CAI, McGaughy 2in drop shackles, 22x10 srt10 rims, CCFL Halos, Belltech Street Performance Shocks.
Soon to come: 4.56's and Pacesetter LT with Y-pipe, Cat delete.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '11 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Rep:63
Bry will become famous soon enough

Just to give anyone an update...

I took them to another auto facility and they balanced them properly. They were supposed to be balanced before they were shipped but it wasn't even close. Apparently, the business I purchased them from does a static balance, where the second garage I took them to dynamic balanced them. I don't know what any of that means, but all I know is that the ride completely improved. I was also told that one of the Lion Hart tires, which were brand new, is slightly out of round. This NAPA garage had it on all kinds of machines and have it set up pretty decent now though.

Going forward, I've learned that:

-If you buy a wheel/tire combo, get them balanced at a reputable shop before installing.

Thanks for the help!