DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Dodge Ram 1999 Conversion van
Color: white
Rep:10
timbo59 is on a distinguished road
Default turn signals not working

I own a 1999 RAM 1500 conversion van by Legend which I've owned virtually since new and which has been my pride and joy over the years. It's hardly given any trouble at all other than a rattling catalytic converter which I've learned to live with. It's getting a little long in the tooth but I really hate to part with it, especially as it's still in pretty decent shape.

The question I wanted to ask is more of a generalized one that any more technical-minded RAM owner might be able to answer.

My turn signals gave up the ghost in the last few days after coming and going for about a week. I've been so busy of late that I haven't had time to take it to our usual mechanic, but I did call him and he said it might be an expensive fix as the part concerned wasn't cheap to source.

Well while driving round yesterday I pulled into an auto parts place to pick up some new wiper blades for the vehicle, and while shooting the breeze with the guy I was dealing with I happened to mention the issue with the turn signals. He said the problem was something called a 'flasher' and told me it was only $8 to replace. Imagine my surprise, when I'd been told by our mechanic that we'd likely be up for a few hundred dollars. I've never had cause to doubt our mechanic before as he seems a pretty straightforward guy, but after this I was left wondering if he was trying to milk us for some dollars.

So I followed this auto parts guy's direction and looked under the dash by the driver's side but couldn't find anything. I called him back, he double-checked the manual online and said it was behind the panel in the driver-side door. Pulled it off but still couldn't find anything other than a bunch of different connectors.

I then looked in the fuse box under the hood and did indeed find a five-pronged fuse that looked similar to the replacement part I'd purchased. Only problem is that when I put it in the turn signals still wouldn't work. So either I'm missing something here, like there's more than one of these fuses and I'm still to find the correct one, or there's another issue entirely that I have to address.

Is there some kind of circuit board or controller for the turn signals that might need replacing? I feel really weird not having the turn signals working. People may not use them much here in Florida, but I feel kind of naked without them as it's second nature to me to flick them on any time I change direction, whether it's to change lanes or turn a corner.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Oh, and the part I was sold is by BWD and is numbered FC642, if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just an update. Went to an Autozone outlet near where I'm working today and got told there that the manual states the Flasher is behind the glove box. Looked there as well but couldn't find it.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well no one here was able to help, but I thought I'd post this just in case anyone else ever has the same problem I had - it took weeks to solve it!

I don't know if this is particular to the model I have, or whether the conversion company (Legend) moved things around, but I eventually found the flasher in a place that no one ever suggested. If you open the driver side door, there's a small plastic panel with a handle attached to the side of the dash. If you pull it out (it comes off pretty easily) you'll find the flasher there.

Hope this helps save someone else all the trouble I went through.

Thanks.