DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light
Default Console Vault Install/Review (2013/14 in console w/CD player)

When I first got my truck I had been planning to get my CHL, so I was looking at getting a Console Vault for my truck. Quad Cabs don't have any lockable interior storage (I think the Crew Cabs have lockable in floor storage bins in the back row), and I figured it would be good to add a lockable compartment for valuables (Ipod, locking lug nut key, etc...), and to keep my gun when I was carrying somewhere I wasn't allowed to carry my gun inside. Unfortunately, my truck came with the bizarre and new for 2013 in console CD player, and they didn't make a model that accommodated it. Last week I read a thread here on the Z where a fellow member posted that they now make them to accommodate the trucks with the CD player in the console, so I ordered one right away. I already typed this review up earlier and then it deleted itself while I was trying to attach pics, so this time I will post the review, then I will post the pics so I don't waste another 2 hours of my life

-Impressions: It came today during lunch so of course I dropped my food to go open the box and check it out. In the box was: the main vault assembly, 2 keys (I ordered the barrel lock version), a felt pad to put in the bottom of the vault after its installed to preserve weapon finishes, and the 2 self-tapping (more on that later) mounting screws. Notice I didn't say instructions-but that's ok because its not too hard to figure out. It was fairly heavy and had no rattles or anything, so I would say that its pretty solid. The powder coated finish is pretty nice too. There is a nut welded to each wall where you screw it in, which makes installing it a lot easier than it'd have been if there were just a hole there like I thought after seeing pics on the website.

One thing that did stand out to me was that there is a screw that goes into the side of the console where the CD player is. At first I was kind of worried about it but the screws are not too long and are blunt ended so I went ahead with the install. I did test my CD player after the install and it does still work so there's nothing to worry about. I know some of you are probably thinking "who in the hell actually uses the CD player?" Well now you know, I like it and I use it

-Installation: Its pretty simple, open up the bottom bin of your console and lift out the rubber mat at the bottom (there's a tab along the front edge that makes it easier). Next, open the lid of your Console Vault, and get the screws started in the nuts. Trust me, you want to get these started before you drop the vault in, driving in the screws while your hand is in the lid hole is awkward and you want to do as little screw driving as possible after the Console Vault has been dropped into the console bin. The screws also sort of go in at an angle and its easy to get the screws started wrong because of the self tapping screw tips. Now, drop your vault in the console, and press down firmly on the top to make sure its seated at the bottom. I strongly recommend using a socket driver rather than a slotted screwdriver because the confined space and awkward angle will make it hard to keep a slotted screwdriver from slipping off the screw head and stripping the head. Start screwing the screws into the console walls, and stop when you notice that they start to bow outward. now back the screws out and lift the vault out. Here's why: the self tapping screws will probably make their own holes-eventually, but you will have to screw them in and out a lot and it will end up taking you forever. But now that the vault is out you can see where the screw tips made perfect little circles in the console walls. I used an 11/64" drill bit to drill here and it made it much easier, but there are some things to keep in mind:

The space is confined, so I had to chuck my bit as far in as it would go. The walls of the console are probably around 1/8" thick-maybe a little less. You will be drilling into the wall that your CD player is on the other side of so go slow and be careful not to let the bit punch through the other side of the wall. You don't have to drill, but you will want to, just be careful. I used an 11/64" bit because it is slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw shafts which allowed the self-tapping screw tips to do some of the work and made the screws fit as tight as possible. This also gave the threads the most possible traction.

After your holes are drilled, drop the Console Vault back in and screw it in. I had to back the screws out and drive them back in one more time because the holes I drilled were on the small side so the console bin walls were still bowed slightly. YMMV, but the screws cleared out enough material after I drove them back in the 2nd time that there was no bowing. Now drop your felt pad in the bottom and close and lock the lid. Its all done. I know I'm making it sound like it took a while to do but I'm just trying to be detailed. Console Vault says its a 10 minute install on their website, it took me maybe 30 minutes taking pictures, and running back and forth to the garage for tools.

-Fit: I'd say it fits as good as could be expected considering variances in manufacturing tolerances between the vault and the console bin. There is a slight (maybe 1mm) gap along the back top edge between the top of the Console Vault and the console, but I don't think it would be very useful in prying because 1)anything that fits would probably break if you tried to pry with it and 2)it would also likely just go through the plastic. I gave mine a few fairly hard tugs and its in there solid. I wasn't sure how solid it would be since its screwed into plastic, but it is very solid.

-Capacity: The Console Vault doesn't take up much console space at all. I know some members were wondering how big it was, one asked if it would fit his 6".44Mag (I think Dirty Harry's S&W 29 was an 8" ). I don't have anything quite that big, but I do have an FNH FNP-45 which is pretty big (15+1 rounds of .45 ACP don't fit in a small package). I took a picture of it up against my radio buttons under my Uconnect 8.4 screen to give an idea of scale. Anyway, the pistol fit and it got me wondering how much I could fit in there at one time. All told it fit my FNP-45, 2 30 round AK47 magazines, my Sig P229, and my Sig P239 all at the same time.

Pics to follow, and as always if any of you reading this have any questions about the Console Vault, or about the install process, ask me below in the responses and I'll get you an answer

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 04-17-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

The first 3 pics are the Console Vault sitting on top of my dumpster after I unboxed it. The next one is of the empty console bin after the rubber mat was removed. The last pic is of the vault after I first set it in before screwing it in, to give you an idea of the kind of space restriction you'll be working with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140417_131458.jpg (117.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_131518.jpg (90.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_131623.jpg (96.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_132955.jpg (79.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_133022.jpg (110.2 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 04-17-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 PM

The first pic is the console bin after I drilled the holes. The next 2 are pics after it was completely installed, with the lid open and closed respectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140417_140331.jpg (66.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_140904.jpg (114.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_141426.jpg (100.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 PM

These last 4 are to give y'all a size comparison. The first one is my FNP-45 held up by my Uconnect 8.4 screen for scale comparison. The next one is the pistol laid flat on the bottom of the vault. The 3rd is the FNP-45 with 2 30 round AK47 magazines on top of it. The last pic is the FNP-45 at the bottom, magazines on top, Sig P229 on top of those, and finally Sig P239 (my EDC) on top of everything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140417_141952.jpg (73.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_142033.jpg (110.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_142200.jpg (109.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 20140417_142612.jpg (44.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 diesel
Trim Level: Larami crew cab 4x4
Color: Granite
Rep:10
txcowboy69 is on a distinguished road

Great review, will refer to this post when I install mine.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 ram 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4 CC
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Buckfat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:12
tweener439 is on a distinguished road

Great review and pics, where did you get the vault?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
redbeardmcg is on a distinguished road

By far the console vault was the best thing I did to my 2013 Laramie. I live in the people's republik of massachusetts and do have an LTC-A here but frequently travel to NH and Indiana, having a secure place for my truck gun (M&P) and my carry gun (Kahr PM9) that I don't have to worry about while traveling through NY, etc.. is priceless. Not to mention having a secure, locked container to also stash backup mags, ammo and other valuables. Great product, nice review!

FWIW, my S&W 629-6 8 3/8" 44 MAG does not fit in the console vault in any reasonable manner!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeardmcg View Post
By far the console vault was the best thing I did to my 2013 Laramie. I live in the people's republik of massachusetts and do have an LTC-A here but frequently travel to NH and Indiana, having a secure place for my truck gun (M&P) and my carry gun (Kahr PM9) that I don't have to worry about while traveling through NY, etc.. is priceless. Not to mention having a secure, locked container to also stash backup mags, ammo and other valuables. Great product, nice review!

FWIW, my S&W 629-6 8 3/8" 44 MAG does not fit in the console vault in any reasonable manner!
I agree, it is a great addition. I actually got my dad to concede that it was a worthwhile upgrade and not a waste of money like he said it was when I told him I had ordered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweener439 View Post
Great review and pics, where did you get the vault?
Thank you, like I said if any of y'all have more specific questions about the vault or the install then just post it in the comments where everyone who may have the same question can see. You can also shoot me a PM.

I got the vault straight from Console Vault's website:

http://www.consolevault.com/Dodge-Ra...l#.U2w9MhtOXIU
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Cherry Red
jimmerz is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Looks great I can't wait to buy one!!!