DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2767
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
Canadian Hemi Pride, BTW... your link worked, and that was the exact thread I found him through. Thanks
Hey no problem, thats what we are here for. It is strange that Brandon's link didn't work, but he is the one that knew who the member was. I don't know how Leons gets around europe in that tank.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 03-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Ahh I think because looking up a members threads like that is technically a "search" function on the forum it times out after a bit. So after a few minutes the link would no longer work. First time I've posted up a link to a list of a users threads like that so I didn't think about that happening.

Anyways, Canadian Hemi Pride obviously helped you out with the link to his lift thread. I know there is another member or two who has done the same thing. If I come across them or remember their name I'll post it up here for you.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Kahn is on a distinguished road

Thanks brandonjansen. If you remember the other members, please get back to me ASAP. I messaged LEON yesterday, but he still has not replied.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Leons is on a distinguished road

Hey friends I'm still around, will check my pm in a minute
any questions let me know..

And regarding that tank in Europe.. I'm getting around pretty fine..!!

Leon
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I did not receive any pm
But I will keep an eye on this thread
Any questions regarding the airsuspension.. ask it here
and I'll do my best to answer them..

best leon
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey Leons,
Sorry, I wrote out a message to you, but I cannot find it in my outbox/sent, so apparently it did not go through. Anyhow... Thank you for replying to this thread!
As you may have already read... I mistakenly bought a 2014 Ram Laramie with the factory air ride suspension, not knowing that nobody makes a suspension lift for these. So I am going to remove the air suspension and install a lift kit ($2000 factory option down the drain ).
Do you happen to know the largest suspension lift they make for these?
Is BDS the only lift kit that I can install on these?
Do you have any computer glitches/problems after removing the air suspension?
And how hard is it to remove the air suspension and install the lift kit?
Thanks in advance,
Kahn

BTW... Your truck looks sweet! I can't wait to get mine lifted like yours.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hello Kahn,

I was in exactly the same boat.. I know how you feel! I also did not realize that a factory airsuspension RAM could not be lifted... (3.000 Euro down the drain!!...) and still can't be lifted... and there probably never will be a serious liftkit for the factory airride.. You will have to remove it, I'll try to explain why: RAM made the different ride height modes for the factory airride speed dependant with good reason: put the truck in offroad 2 mode, stand in front of it and look at the allignment of you're wheels, they are completly off. The same goes for the lower than "normal ride height" modes.. This is a little issue at lower speeds and short distance but a BIG issue at higher speeds and longer distances ... it wil destroy you're tires in no time.. that is why the truck gets back to "normal ride height" once you exceed a certain speed. The truck is only properly alligned in "normal ride height"

Now.. I posted a "trix-workaround" a few months ago... for the die hard only...

* THIS IS ON YOU'RE OWN RISK!!!
* set truck in desired ride height
* remove the airsuspension Multi connector
* done
* REALLIGN YOU'RE FRONT WHEELS WITH THE NEW HEIGHT!!!
* I tried this in offroad 2 mode for 2000 miles.. no issues...

No computer errors, just an "airsuspension service" warning at startup
If you put the connector back in it wil function as new

The 9-wire multi-connector is on the passenger side, behind the rear wheel, up under the bed.

In this way the truck is locked at the desired height and you have to reallign it to that height or you destroy you're tires.... but to be honest... it is not the way to go.. it is merely a proof of how desperatly frustrated I was to get the truck lifted...

So what I did was I removed the airsuspension altogether...

There are no computer hitches, just one (1 second) warning when you start the engine, it says: "airsuspension service required" that's it... that said... I have a 2013 RAM I don't know about the 2014 but I expect no difference... to be shure you could try by unconnecting the Multi connector as discribed above in the workaround... It should give you the same warning at startup and than shut up...

Removing the airsuspension struts is no harder than removing the traditional suspension... they are bolted on the same way... there are just the 4 connectors and 4 height sensors to unplug...

I left the pressure tanks and compressor of the airsuspension in place, they are mounted under the bed. I just removed the airsuspension struts on the 4 corners.

Once the 4 airsuspension struts were removed the 6" BDS coilover liftkit fitted perfect I had to do NO modfications so apart from the airsuspension struts the truck is the same as a traditional suspension truck.. wich makes sense... RAM designed the airsupension struts to fit the truck they alraedy had... not the other way around...

This makes the modification perfectly reversable... not that I ever want that!

The biggest lift you asked... hmmm there are others on this forum that are more knowledgable than me in this regard.. but I fitted the 6"BDS coilover liftkit with 5" inch rear coils... mostly this kit is fitted with 3"rear coils... in effect I had to raise the front by an extra 2 inch.. wich makes it an 8" lift I guess... I'm not aware of any liftkit with more than 8" of lift. The extra 2" lift in the front is easily possible with the fox coilovers, it has a preload adjustment ring that can be adjusted...

An extra body lift is probably the way to go if you want to lift even higher..

I believe procomp also makes an coilover liftkit... I'm pretty shure there are others... I have no experience with them... from my own experience with the BDS kit... perfect! precision bolt on.. no issues, super sturdy.. and a great ride! I would choose no other...

Sorry for my bad english, I hope the message comes across..

met de vriendelijke groeten,
cheers,
Leon
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you Leon!! You answered all my questions and then some. Now off to do some research on lift kits and take this air suspension off. I will be sure to post pics when I get it done. Thank you again!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: DEEP CHERRY
deaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leons View Post
... and there probably never will be a serious liftkit for the factory airride.. You will have to remove it, I'll try to explain why: RAM made the different ride height modes for the factory airride speed dependant with good reason: put the truck in offroad 2 mode, stand in front of it and look at the allignment of you're wheels, they are completly off. The same goes for the lower than "normal ride height" modes.. This is a little issue at lower speeds and short distance but a BIG issue at higher speeds and longer distances ... it wil destroy you're tires in no time.. that is why the truck gets back to "normal ride height" once you exceed a certain speed. The truck is only properly alligned in "normal ride height"
Thanks, That's a really good point/tip, never thought about the alignment when using the air ride.

rod
Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
Goosebuster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leons View Post
* THIS IS ON YOU'RE OWN RISK!!!
* set truck in desired ride height
* remove the airsuspension Multi connector
* done
* REALLIGN YOU'RE FRONT WHEELS WITH THE NEW HEIGHT!!!
* I tried this in offroad 2 mode for 2000 miles.. no issues...

No computer errors, just an "airsuspension service" warning at startup
If you put the connector back in it wil function as new

The 9-wire multi-connector is on the passenger side, behind the rear wheel, up under the bed.
Could you be so kind and upload a photo from the multi-connector and its location?