After removing the first panel I found that it was easier to pop up the window controls and unplug the harnesses before
attempting to remove the door panel.
With the harnesses unplugged the panel lifts right off the door. To my surprise there was a second plastic panel with all kinds of stuff screwed to it.
Not feeling that adventurous I decide to deaden as much of the door as possible without removing the inner panel. As you can see in the pic above there is an access door on the latch side of the door for accessing the window track. Removing the speaker allows access to the opposite side of the door. Looking inside you will find one measly little patch of sound deadening.
Access is tight but I was determined to make it work. I cut the deadening into strips and started applying to all the bare metal of the door, reaching in as far as I could.
I feel like I got it covered pretty well. I would have liked to put a coat or 2 of elastomeric roof coating like I did on the back wall but there is no way that is going to happen without removing the inner panel. I doubt I will ever do it unless I have to remove the panel. for some other reason.
I can't say that it made the 'premium alpine' speakers sound noticeably better but it did help quite the cab a little more. I thought I was imagining it but it is enough for the wife to notice and actually comment so it must have worked.
This is all for now. I still plan to do the firewall and the front floor pans at some point this summer. And possibly get some non-asphalt based deadener mat to cover the inner door panel if I get a wild hair.