DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.9L V6 Specifc Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:130
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Sure you can get into trouble with low horsepower, but you are unable to do the real stupid things like excessive speeds in residential areas and stuff like that as easy, or burning the tires off in the mall parking lot.

It's not sheltering them, the kid gets a truck he has a chance of affording the gas in.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
And I'm sure that rev limiter will stay on when he pulls out of the drive. Good thing removing a distributor cap is a HUGE pita and you need to be a certified mechanic to do so.

IMO don't shelter them they will deceive you. Educate them and teach them and they will be responsible. My parents had few "rules" for me but taught me right and wrong and I almost never got in to trouble. (who can really say they NEVER got in to trouble...)

My friends who were not allowed to do this and that, had to be home by this time, weren't allowed to go to this place, etc were the one's constantly breaking the rules/laws and getting in to trouble.
Lol you don't have a teenager do you
Funny, the ones who don't have kids always have the answers to parenting

Last edited by Swaggerville Ram; 03-10-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I don't have any children. I didn't say I have all the answers. Just giving my opinion from my experiences. I take a look at myself and those around me and like I said myself and my good friends that the parents were reasonable with and taught them right from wrong are the ones that were responsible and not in trouble. The kids I knew in high school and college that were sheltered and the parents constantly on their back they were the ones always in trouble and doing bad things.

All you can do is give your kids guidance, you can't control them which is what a lot of people try to do. Like it or not they are going to make their own decisions, good or bad. Or there's the other extreme where parents don't raise their kids at all.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: mineral grey
Rep:355
maust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggerville Ram View Post
Sure you can get into trouble with low horsepower, but you are unable to do the real stupid things like excessive speeds in residential areas and stuff like that as easy, or burning the tires off in the mall parking lot.

It's not sheltering them, the kid gets a truck he has a chance of affording the gas in.
I find this statement false. I had a 91 Dodge Ram 50 with a 2.4l 4cyl and 5 speed manual. I set the tires on fire it the parking garage once. I would also do 90 mph from my house to my friends. I was leaving black marks and smoking tires every time I accelerated from a stop and I was always splashing in the mud. I beat the shit out of that little truck. That all changed when I was in my first wreck. I was using my dad f150 which I drove responsibily and I was pulling in my driveway and got hit on the drivers rear by a car doing over 100 mph. I was a good kid and my dad was no stranger to a belt across the ass. Kids are going to do what they do. Some of them just need to be told some need to put effort it to it so the are proud of it and some need to learn the hard way.
I say get the two of you out there and build the truck. He will respect it more.
Teach him what kind of power it has and show him what it'll do. He will respect you more. Enjoy the Esperance and he will too. I hope it turns out great.
Mick
P.S. you don't want the v6 thing to backfire into an I'll show you deal where he does stupid things on purpose. That's what my issue was I wanted a full sized truck and I got stuck with the Ram 50. I paid for it did the maintainance my self and supplied my own gas but dad wouldn't let me get anything else he wanted to teach me how to handle a truck before I got a V8.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree, my 97 s10 with 89hp and a 5 speed manual would smoke the tires off if you wanted to.

JMO I guess but usually when you tell a teenager not to do something the first thing they do is that lol.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Brown/silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:18
RowdyRam is on a distinguished road

Said it once, but teach the kid right and show him the consequences. Ive had my truck for almost a year now and have yet to do anything even close to hurting anyone. Have faith and be a good teacher
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maust1 View Post
I find this statement false. I had a 91 Dodge Ram 50 with a 2.4l 4cyl and 5 speed manual. I set the tires on fire it the parking garage once. I would also do 90 mph from my house to my friends. I was leaving black marks and smoking tires every time I accelerated from a stop and I was always splashing in the mud. I beat the shit out of that little truck. That all changed when I was in my first wreck. I was using my dad f150 which I drove responsibily and I was pulling in my driveway and got hit on the drivers rear by a car doing over 100 mph. I was a good kid and my dad was no stranger to a belt across the ass. Kids are going to do what they do. Some of them just need to be told some need to put effort it to it so the are proud of it and some need to learn the hard way.
I say get the two of you out there and build the truck. He will respect it more.
Teach him what kind of power it has and show him what it'll do. He will respect you more. Enjoy the Esperance and he will too. I hope it turns out great.
Mick
P.S. you don't want the v6 thing to backfire into an I'll show you deal where he does stupid things on purpose. That's what my issue was I wanted a full sized truck and I got stuck with the Ram 50. I paid for it did the maintainance my self and supplied my own gas but dad wouldn't let me get anything else he wanted to teach me how to handle a truck before I got a V8.

A 2.4 is nowhere near as powerful as a 360, to even suggest so is heap of bull

Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I agree, my 97 s10 with 89hp and a 5 speed manual would smoke the tires off if you wanted to.

JMO I guess but usually when you tell a teenager not to do something the first thing they do is that lol.
Says the guy without kids

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion70 View Post
Alright guys here is the deal, my son is buying his first project vehicle today and this will be our first project together! I'm really looking forward to this and have been for some day!! As a gear head when your kids become involved and interested in the same stuff as we like it really can get exciting! So I found him a truck and he really likes it and what it can be once it's fixed back up. The truck is at a local junk yard about the be parted out, clean title and not wrecked, it's a 1996 Ram Indianapolis 500 pace truck that needs quite a bit of fixing up. The 5.9 has been beat hard and has given up the fight for the moment. So the plan is to pull the engine, run the numbers and rebuild it. Now here is the part where I have to play DAD and decide if the 5.9 is too much for a first time driver...and I am leaning hard towards YES. My thoughts are to swap in a 3.9 V6 for the time being and let him beat on that for awhile and finish fixing up the truck as we go. Then when he shows a little responsibility (and the look in his eyes fads a bit) we will put in the fully rebuilt 5.9 and complete the truck.
Everyone seems to want to yank out the wimpy 3.9 and swap in a 318 or 360 so I can find plenty of info on that but what about going the other way and installing the 3.9 in place of the 5.9 ?? Any advise and encouragement would be a big help. My son and I can handle all the required work, we just don't want to tie up a bunch of money in a ass-backwards engine swap!
Thanks guys and looking forward to hearing your responses!!!
I think it's a great plan and he is going to be a lucky kid. as someone said we all did stupid things when we were kids. and as you fix up the 5.9 (make it worth the wait) it will give him time to respect the truck, great idea.

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: mineral grey
Rep:355
maust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nice

Quote:
A 2.4 is nowhere near as powerful as a 360, to even suggest so is heap of bull
I'm not saying that a 2.4L is anywhere near as powerful as a 360, but I am saying you can do real stupid things with low horsepower, because you said you couldn't.

This is the comment I quoted in my post.

Mick
P.S. I was also saying the reason I did those stupid things was because I was forced to get something less powerful in order to stop me from being able to do stupid things.

Last edited by maust1; 04-28-2014 at 09:52 AM.