DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

So much hate here. I've logged a couple thousand miles of drive time in my parent's Ecoboost, and I've also owned two older Dodges and had a 3rd and 4th gen truck as a company vehicle. Here are my thoughts:

First off, an Ecoboost equipped truck is rated for more payload and towing than a similarly equipped Hemi. The torque curve is nearly flat and it makes peak torque at 2500. In our case, the mileage has met or exceeded the EPA rating of 16/21, something I haven't personally seen from any Dodge that I've owned or driven. I personally know of 3 other people with Ecoboosts and they have been stellar. Not saying there aren't bad ones out there, but they are definitely not "junk."

You want to talk about an inferior product, out of all the years I've spent on various forums of the big 3 and in real life, Ram has been the one that I've seen with the most "Lemons" and buy backs. This is followed by Ford, then GM. Ram can make a quality product, but their consistency with quality control is pretty lacking.

All vehicles have issues, but it seems like most of y'all don't have any experience with an Ecoboost, and like to badmouth anything that is not Ram.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

if it wasnt for the water in the cooler lines thing, i'd probably own one
Old 05-01-2014, 11:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 R/T
Trim Level: R/T Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:21
Ramajama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
So much hate here. I've logged a couple thousand miles of drive time in my parent's Ecoboost, and I've also owned two older Dodges and had a 3rd and 4th gen truck as a company vehicle. Here are my thoughts:

First off, an Ecoboost equipped truck is rated for more payload and towing than a similarly equipped Hemi. The torque curve is nearly flat and it makes peak torque at 2500. In our case, the mileage has met or exceeded the EPA rating of 16/21, something I haven't personally seen from any Dodge that I've owned or driven. I personally know of 3 other people with Ecoboosts and they have been stellar. Not saying there aren't bad ones out there, but they are definitely not "junk."

You want to talk about an inferior product, out of all the years I've spent on various forums of the big 3 and in real life, Ram has been the one that I've seen with the most "Lemons" and buy backs. This is followed by Ford, then GM. Ram can make a quality product, but their consistency with quality control is pretty lacking.

All vehicles have issues, but it seems like most of y'all don't have any experience with an Ecoboost, and like to badmouth anything that is not Ram.

Incorrect!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White and black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:34
preachp is on a distinguished road

Hey persuader,
You did read the name of this forum right? It is RAM Forumz. Did you really think that everybody would sing the laurels of the Fords? Give me a break. You want to talk about hate go to the Ford or Chevy forum and talk about how good the RAM is then you will see some hate. Speaking facts is not hate it is truth and mo matter what you or anybody else says that turbo 6 is not going to overcome the brute force of a 395HP, 407 ftlb of torque 5300 lb 4X4. There is an old adage in racing "There is no substitute for cubic inches". It is a simple law of physics, engines are pumps and the more you put in a pump the more you get out of it. The efficiency of the hemispherical combustion chamber is undeniable. The sound of Hemis is unique and it is undeniable that hemis have historically been monsters when it comes to power from the industrial 292 to the venerable 426 hemi. You can call it hate or what ever else you like but it doesn't change the fact that the 5.7 hemi is a powerhouse motor that gets 19 mpg real world mileage and 15 around the back roads and town in a 5300 lb 4X4 pick-up. Don't bother to argue because I am driving one and I know what it gets and does. I stand behind what I said hook two like geared like weight trucks an eco-boost and a hemi bumper to bumper and that hemi is going to pull that eco-boost like whipped puppy.

JMHO

preachp
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MODS: Kenwood DNX570 HD, Jeraco Hirise cap, black 4" nerf bars, Ultra Baron wheels, BFG Rugged Terrain A/T tires, Spyder smoke headlights and red smoke LED taillights, Bumble Beast stripe.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
we all love trucks, but the gas prices are out of whack here in Canada, now it is about $5.25/gal. They will sell lots of them with the 2.7EC, it will be their new best seller, wait and see. And the 3.6EC will be much better on gas too, 700lb lighter aint no joke.
My '12 Hemi cost me about $900-$1000/month in gas alone.
What RAM understood was that not everybody uses the truck as a truck, but as a dd vehicle instead of a car. Safer, the V6 is the same on fuel as any other big SUV, capability, towing, payload...and now Ford is following the trend.
I hate gas prices here.. 1.40/L last night for 91 at costco.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

still waiting for a turbo 3.6 pentastar.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

apparently there WAS one in the works, but it died along the way

A twin turbo and single-turbocharger version are planned, for introduction by 2015; both would be based on the smallest size (3.0 liters) and might be slated for limited-production models (e.g. a new Viper based on a Maserati or an SRT mid-sized car). The twin-turbo version appears to projected for a whopping 420 horsepower while the single-turbo appears to be set for 370 hp.

A twin turbo and single-turbocharger 3.0 V6 were originally planned for 2014, for limited-production models, producing 420 and 370 horsepower respectively (these numbers are probably speculative or targets). Ferrari/Maserati have already created a 404 horsepower twin-turbo V6, reportedly using a version of the Pentastar block which has been heavily modified; buyers can get them in the 300C-derived Maserati Ghibli.

Chrysler’s own twin turbo V6 is reportedly still under development in Auburn Hills. It will likely produce less power, probably slotting in underneath the current 5.7 liter Hemi V8, but also cost much less to build. The timeframe for this engine remains unknown.

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/future.php
Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:229
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
Go to any other truck forum and they all bad mouth each other, but the Ford forums are the worst.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright White
Rep:10
AztecSN95 is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple of buddies with eco-boost F150s. They're nice trucks, sure. But the hype the motor got in terms of economy was just that...hype.

Now, the mod-potential, and how well that motor handles tweaks...impressive.

I'm sure there are tons of people who have stories about a chipped EB F150 exploding or something...but my PERSONAL experience has been that they're pretty reliable modded.

That is all.