DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Ask the Chef!

Notices

Ask the Chef! Have you ever wondered how to cook a steak like a pro? Ever wondered why restaurant food can be expensive? Why DOES everything taste better with bacon? Do you really need a dozen different knives to be a good cook? Have you ever wanted to ask a professional Chef a question? Well, now is your chance to ask a professional Chef any question you want.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough
Default Steak season, Yippee

Hi Dave, I'm just a regular guy who likes to cook T-Bone Steak on the barbecue. I buy my steak from a butcher shop and the owner is a fourth gene reaction butcher. The steaks are fabulous. I have him cut them 1" thick and then turn the BBQ on hi. I sear each side for 2 min. and then drop to medium heat and cook each side for 3.5 - 4 min. All I season it with is salt and pepper. Any suggestions to make it even more spectacular.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn QC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver 4 x 4
Rep:86
05cr125r will become famous soon enough

...i always let my steaks sit at room temp at least a half hour. i like to use just a little olive oil and my seasoning and give the meat a good rubbing with both hands
Mods; Line X, Bilsteins set at 2.1, Magnaflow 18", Debadged , Blue LED Interior, LED license plate, Blue LED reverse, Fronts tinted 20 %, Stubby Antenna,AVS WindowVisors, Black Honeycomb Grille Insert
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1531
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05cr125r View Post
...i always let my steaks sit at room temp at least a half hour. i like to use just a little olive oil and my seasoning and give the meat a good rubbing with both hands
Bruce E, 05cr125r has a good point. Let your steaks come up to room temperature. Do not let it sit more than 3 hours.

Use a Kosher (Or similar size) salt. Rub the steaks with the salt and pepper liberally and then let them sit to get to room temp. The salt will work its way into the meat. This may cause the meat to sweat (Also called Koshering.) Dab both sides with a paper towel before putting on the grill. The moisture will cool down the grill too quickly causing the meat to stick. This is all I would put on higher end cuts of meat like NY, Filet or T-Bones. That is all they need. If you are doing sirloins, pork loins or beef roasts then you can go nuts with seasonings.

I would stay away from any oil, for the grill anyway. Charcoal/gas grills can get to 300+ degrees. Extra virgin olive oil reaches it's smoke point at 190 or so. Even light olive oil hits that point at 240. This can leave soot marks on the steak and change the flavor of the meat. The oil works great in a saute pan but a grill will get too hot.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 05-13-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:14
MikeDCop is on a distinguished road

If you have to cook it inside because of bad weather:
1. Have the steak cut to 1 1/2" thick.
2. Bring steak to room temp.
3. Disconnect EVERY smoke detector in the house.
4. Pre-Heat oven to 500 deg F with cast iron skillet in side.
5. Rub steak with canola oil (high burn temp) and then liberally salt and pepper steak.
6. Move skillet from oven to stovetop, burner on high.
7. Sear steak on each side one minute thrity seconds on each side.
8. Move skillet w/steak back to oven for four minutes (rare to medium rare), longer for more ruined, er well done..less for rarer.
9. Remove steak from skillet to resting rack (to catch drippings) for 5 minutes.
10. Mix drippings with butter for awesome steak sauce.
11. Serve with LARGE baked potato the way God intended a steak to be served.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:19
asavet18 is on a distinguished road

A great way to add a little sumpin.. sumpin to your steak without taking anything from the flavor of that gorgeous hunk of meat is serving it with a patty of beurre maitre d ' hotel which is a fancy French term for herbed butter.
Traditionally it consists of butter, chopped parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. To make it all you have to do is take softened unsalted butter and mix those ingredients in a bowl. Then you can roll it into a log using parchment paper a seran wrap, then chill but my suggestion is to just form them in little balls and freeze them...you can add different herbs to create your own twist but be careful to not get too complicated or it might overpower the meat...roasted garlic is what I like to add.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i like the taste of outdoor cooked over charcoal. the bbq gives a nice flavor.