DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

So you're installing the EGT probe and serial serial system for the Trinity?

What are you planning to do about your trans? Valve body or complete trans?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
EXPRESSIVE is on a distinguished road

I will monitor the EGTs via the Trinity, I'm installing a seperate AFR meter.
Them transmission will get an aggressive shift tune from the Edlebrock supplied tuner. I'm not really worried much about the tranny, my truck is reg cab/short bed so the tires should be my buffer between the added power and the road. My wife's 2012 LHL 1500 has been towing a 13,000 pound 5th wheel for two years just fine with no tranny problems at all. In fact I was more concerned about the tranny heat than the trailer weight, but pulling it at 70mph the trans temp never gets over 160ⁿ°.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:24 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

What I was asking was if you were going to buy an EGT probe and serial cable to run to the Trinity. The trinity is not able to read EGTs through the OBDII, it needs a serial input from a separate gauge because the truck does not come with any temp sensors in the exhaust to pull info from the OBDII.

I hate to say it, but expect to do trans work if you're putting ANY supercharger on the 545rfe. Your wife's truck is only towing with stock or bolt-on power level, and trans heat can be controlled, but the clutch holding pressure is where power adders kill the trans. Asding the instant torque from the Edelbrock puts a LOT of stress on the trans and to date, every roots/twin screw type blower has roasted the stock 2P clutch with no indication of overheating the fluid but it burns the frictions.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:260
CrazyCanuck is a jewel in the roughCrazyCanuck is a jewel in the roughCrazyCanuck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo1968 View Post
Please do, I am interested in comparing cost with Ripp and Procharger.
Summit Racing is listing the Edelbrock 1538 supercharger kit at just under US$6500.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 PM

Why does the Trinity show EGT on my screen? Well if it doesn't as you say, I guess I will depend on the AFR meter and make sure it stays stoichiometric and happy. If not then a simple weld in bung and EGT probe/meter will take care of that little problem. I contacted tech at Edlebrock and they say the agressive tranny tune option will raise the line pressure. I would think the added pressure should apply more holding pressure to the clutch packs. Its only 102 more torque, surely the transmission can take it, huh? I will take my chances I guess, at least I have connections with a transmission shop and I will have to upgrade with colmet friction plates, or bigger drum packs. Im still going to do it, I will either make it or break it! Hopefully in a year I can say you were wrong OR maybe in a few months I will concede and say you were right!! Thanks for the information.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

I don't think I've seen a boosted Ram that hasn't roasted a stock trans. The edlebrock is a nice blower and the TVS rotors are really quiet but I would plan on some trans work down the road.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Is it showing EGT or ECT? You can monitor ECT all day long, but there is no EGT capability from the OBDII port. We all install an aftermarket AFR system and either run a gauge or run a serial cable to the trinity and program the trinity to accept the 0-5V input, which is what needs to happen with a EGT probe as well, luckily with the right cord the Trinity can accept up to two 0-5V serial inputs.

I can honestly say that I hope you can prove me wrong, but to date, going back to '03s when we really started working with the 545rfe behind the hemi, there have been several builders that have tried and failed to build a reliable bulletproof transmission. It's not the physical parts that are the problem, it's the tuning. I hope that Edelbrock has their tuning built properly because RIPP has caused several issues with their tunes, and only if you read their fine print do you see 'must lift to shift'. Procharger severely limits their power in their tunes to protect their trans but they don't kill trans nearly as often when left at 'stock' power levels. I'm running a L&M trans behind my engine and it's so far so good, but I'm also running his transmission tuning which has been spot on for my power level.

As I said, I would love to be wrong on this and for your trans to be problem free, but keep an eye out for a gear ratio mismatch code as it's the death knell for the 2P clutch pack.

The reality of these 545s is they can take 400-450rwhp and there have been people that have run their trans hard with all the bolt-ons that have fried a stock trans. Then again, there were guys like me that ran a stock trans on my old truck for years with a 175 shot with zero issues, but those I can count those numbers without taking my shoes of or wearing sandals.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 AM

Ok, you are right on the ECT! I sure do hope/pray you WILL be wrong about the tranny!! Who builds the L&M trans and do they offer any parts? The tuner that comes with the blower is also made by Diablosport, once i load it can I still use my trinity for monitoring? And what parts do I need to make my T1000 monitor EGTs? So you said you have seen a few 545s handle 4-450rwhp, thats right in my range. I dont mind lift to shifts, I actually planned to apply the boost in 2-5 gears anyway. With the exception of a few 2nd gear chirps in Honda boys face I dont plan to be on boost from a dead stop. This will be my 3rd blower ride, factory blown Cougar XR7 with an Eaton and my '95 Cobra 5.0 ProCharged P600b. Thats why I chose the roots over centrigual because I love the instant boost of a positive displacement blower. I am very interested in your knowledge of the Rams, this is my first Dodge and although I am a mechanic by trade at 53, I am not a know it all (but I will try almost anything!) so could you share your email with me? Mine is samsfiveo@yahoo.com. I wont bug you but I am interested in gaining some of your been there-roasted it experience! Its easier for me as Im RVing 90% of my time and on an iPhone.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:37 AM

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPRESSIVE View Post
Why does the Trinity show EGT on my screen? Well if it doesn't as you say, I guess I will depend on the AFR meter and make sure it stays stoichiometric and happy. If not then a simple weld in bung and EGT probe/meter will take care of that little problem. I contacted tech at Edlebrock and they say the agressive tranny tune option will raise the line pressure. I would think the added pressure should apply more holding pressure to the clutch packs. Its only 102 more torque, surely the transmission can take it, huh? I will take my chances I guess, at least I have connections with a transmission shop and I will have to upgrade with colmet friction plates, or bigger drum packs. Im still going to do it, I will either make it or break it! Hopefully in a year I can say you were wrong OR maybe in a few months I will concede and say you were right!! Thanks for the information.
You ever head to Baton rouge.. Give me a holla..
I also know a few guys who can tune dodges..
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Some good reading in these threads regarding Boost vs Ram transmissions

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153656

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141021

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91960

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124821

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146929

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 05-26-2014 at 03:34 PM.