DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
MoparKawGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Time for new shocks - recommendations?

2005 1500 4x4 80,000 miles
strictly a street ride, haul my 22' boat every weekend
and occasionally the horses.

I've done some research and only ever come up with stiff as a board
Bilstein or Rancho shocks made for off roading, which I NEVER do,
that's what dirt bikes and horses are for

What would you recommend?
thank you
Old 05-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Rancho 9000's are adjustable, first setting softer than stock, all the way to "board". The good news they last and give excellent control. I use my truck to tow and haul heavy loads in the bed=big diesel motors up to 3,500 lbs, and a 10,000 fifth wheel. Trust me, they are very good shocks. When I first got mine, I set em on #1, slowly started to crank em up,eventually left them in the max setting, love the control. Lifetime warrantee.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
MoparKawGirl is on a distinguished road

Thank you Hydrex,
I'm going to look into them.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Reg. Cab/Bed 4x4
Rep:70
Lil Black 4x4 Hemi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi

I just posted about my bad luck with Bilsteins half an hour ago...

I've been told the 9000 is a GREAT shock by my local tire place. The 5000 is an old school twin-tube hydraulic shock that is very durable, but some people think is a little too rough and others a little too soft...that tells me it's a good all around shock!

I've had good luck with Monroes...though I never actually bought Ranchos (same company). I almost bought a set yesterday though! lol I've had Monroe Load Levelers on my truck since 2010 and they make it ride rougher when empty but add about 500lbs to your capacity I'd imagine. They DO increase your factory rake, if you don't use a leveling kit. The reflex or Sensa-Trackis probably what you'd prefer. They are supposed to give a smoother, easier ride.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog

Hope that helps you out!

Luke
K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rancho RS5000s, TRUXXX Leveling Kit, Heavy Duty Towing Shackles, Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Chrome Fender Flares, Stainless Door-sills, Chrome Door Trim, Atturo Trail Blade 35x12.50R20, METAL Grille Inserts.

Last edited by Lil Black 4x4 Hemi; 06-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
redwingfreak is on a distinguished road

I had Bilstein 5100 and they lasted about 45k miles and they were not the greatest ride throughout the life of them and couldn't believe it because I do not go off road and I set them to the upper limit on leveling.
One question is I totally wonder if those (Bilsteins) caused multiple issues to follow one by one after install, first by wearing the upper strut mount which eventually ruined my Cooper zeons which were put on at around the same time along side getting the standard wheel alignment but as time went the ride got worse and was real rough and noisy and started to get bad wear on the tires then I heard another strange squeaking sound and upon further review the shock rattled in the upper mount which caused the circle to become oval so that needed replacement and when I went to replace the 51s I noticed they had leaked, Thats when replacing all components were in order. so I purchased the ready to instal Monroe shocks springs and that made it very easy to finish the job myself and I believed my issues were done so I went on to get

Well I shouldn't have, because I got the worn out Zeons replaced with goodyear dura tracs and monroe ready to instal shocks and all was great (I THOUGHT) then couple days later I heard a squeak along with movement in the wheel at highway speeds but not that of the death wobble"" but was unsure of the exactly what it was so after process of elimination I believed it may be the breaks, well they were fine and thats when I came to a standstill. The next day I went to the tire shop believing maybe they needed to be rebalanced so I had them look at it and thats when they came up with me needing a new passenger side front wheel bearing which he showed me the movement, so I decided I would do the labor but figured for shits and giggles I would get a price on them doing it and they wanted $200 out the door so I decided not to take on the job and let them do it because I was too irritated and by that point I had enough.
So I guess what my question is, does anyone believe the rattling of the bad shock mount caused both the wheel bearing along with shocks to take a crap because I was totally happy with the looks (being level) but not extremely impressed with the ride in what I believed was a premature failure.
Sorry if this was badly written but did it in a rush and wanted to get it out...
One more thing I just reciently purchased the rear monroe load leveling shocks and have a dumb question but I would like to know the best place to jack up th rear to replace them because i am having a difficult time doing so... Thanks for everyones help and if you have a question with understanding this feel free to let me know..
Old 07-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Dark Garnet Red Pearlcoat
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
logang is on a distinguished road

I just recently went with the MONROE Sensa-Trac shocks, they are a bit harsher of a ride than stock or OEM shocks, raise the rearend up about an inch, but seem to take a trailer load a bit better than OEM shocks. I like them.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Reg. Cab/Bed 4x4
Rep:70
Lil Black 4x4 Hemi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingfreak View Post
I had Bilstein 5100 and they lasted about 45k miles and they were not the greatest ride throughout the life of them and couldn't believe it because I do not go off road and I set them to the upper limit on leveling.
One question is I totally wonder if those (Bilsteins) caused multiple issues to follow one by one after install, first by wearing the upper strut mount which eventually ruined my Cooper zeons which were put on at around the same time along side getting the standard wheel alignment but as time went the ride got worse and was real rough and noisy and started to get bad wear on the tires then I heard another strange squeaking sound and upon further review the shock rattled in the upper mount which caused the circle to become oval so that needed replacement and when I went to replace the 51s I noticed they had leaked, Thats when replacing all components were in order. so I purchased the ready to instal Monroe shocks springs and that made it very easy to finish the job myself and I believed my issues were done so I went on to get

Well I shouldn't have, because I got the worn out Zeons replaced with goodyear dura tracs and monroe ready to instal shocks and all was great (I THOUGHT) then couple days later I heard a squeak along with movement in the wheel at highway speeds but not that of the death wobble"" but was unsure of the exactly what it was so after process of elimination I believed it may be the breaks, well they were fine and thats when I came to a standstill. The next day I went to the tire shop believing maybe they needed to be rebalanced so I had them look at it and thats when they came up with me needing a new passenger side front wheel bearing which he showed me the movement, so I decided I would do the labor but figured for shits and giggles I would get a price on them doing it and they wanted $200 out the door so I decided not to take on the job and let them do it because I was too irritated and by that point I had enough.
So I guess what my question is, does anyone believe the rattling of the bad shock mount caused both the wheel bearing along with shocks to take a crap because I was totally happy with the looks (being level) but not extremely impressed with the ride in what I believed was a premature failure.
Sorry if this was badly written but did it in a rush and wanted to get it out...
One more thing I just reciently purchased the rear monroe load leveling shocks and have a dumb question but I would like to know the best place to jack up th rear to replace them because i am having a difficult time doing so... Thanks for everyones help and if you have a question with understanding this feel free to let me know..
Good to know I'm not the only one that isn't a 5100 fan...well I'm a flat out Bilstein naysayer nowadays after they finally blew me off. My front suspension has only known Bilstein and OEM and was worn slap out. I still have to do the lowers and sway bar links, but I'm waiting till I have help.

As far as jacking up the truck goes.....when I put my load levelers on I actually used a board to compress the shock as well as jacking it up on my drop hitch. You've GOT to be careful but it works better than anything else. I pulled mine off in June because they had finally beat me to death and I really liked the way the Ranchos felt. That said, I KNOW I'm going to miss them the moment I hook up to a real load.
K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rancho RS5000s, TRUXXX Leveling Kit, Heavy Duty Towing Shackles, Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Chrome Fender Flares, Stainless Door-sills, Chrome Door Trim, Atturo Trail Blade 35x12.50R20, METAL Grille Inserts.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram 1500 slt 4x4 quad
Trim Level: SLT Sport 4x4
Color: Atlantic Blue Pearl
Rep:20
cbfodalo@live.com is on a distinguished road

I just replaced shocks in both my work trucks.
the 03 ram 1500 slt 4x4 has 130k miles on it with original shocks, I put Gabriel maxcontrol on all 4 corners. definitely improved handling, but ride is tighter. I only drove truck with old worn out oem shocks, so its a big difference. I also raised front of this one by adjusting torsion bar bolts, simple 10 minute mode, raised front end about 2"

01 Ram 1500 2wd, quad cab long bed. this is my main work truck. this truck is loaded up with full size, high side tool boxes, and heavy ladder racks with roof over bed, put cheap monroes on about a rear ago, they where shot to hell.... so I put spring assisted gariels on rear, picked up the ass about 2" and definitely helped with the constant load. put maxcontrol on front. handles allot better.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 2wd
Color: Red
drumwzrd is on a distinguished road

Man, get a new chick on here and the guys flock to help out but when others need help, you can hear the crickets. Over 600 views on this 1 thread. Pretty impressive, you should post a pic of yourself MoparKawGirl for the 600 people who looked at your thread.