DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt JJ View Post
I'm going to try the Mileage Xs setting again and run it for a couple tanks of gas. I have the Flashpaq and you can change settings for tire size and the shift points, also. Very easy to do. As far as problems, I've had mine for 3 or 4 months, the only problem I encountered was my cruise control turning off while using it a couple of times. It would not come back on until I turned truck off then back on. DSPTYWCADETO9 , what settings are you using with you're Cortex? Are you getting better fuel mileage? Still looking for anyone who might use a Superchips, and the settings they are using. Thanks
I didn't mess with any of the settings. I tuned it to the Mileage XS and let it do its thing. There are improvements in the gas mileage, it went from 12-13 to 15-16. But it really does depend on your driving style. This winter gas is not helping either. I cant wait until the weather starts warming up so I can get some real-time MPG numbers.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4
Color: Two tone Blue and Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Capt JJ is on a distinguished road

DSPTYWCADETO9. Have you tried the other settings on you're tuner? I tried the 87 Octane and Performance tune also. I got the best mileage on the 87 octane, but I didn't use the Mileage XS for long. Did you see a immediate improvement or did it take awhile? You said that you have a throttle body spacer? What does this do? Did you do it yourself? Would this be a good mod for me?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM

City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Quote:
DSPTYWCADETO9. Have you tried the other settings on you're tuner? I tried the 87 Octane and Performance tune also. I got the best mileage on the 87 octane, but I didn't use the Mileage XS for long. Did you see a immediate improvement or did it take awhile? You said that you have a throttle body spacer? What does this do? Did you do it yourself? Would this be a good mod for me?
I tried the 87 Octane tune and definitely got more power, but the MPG improvements were not as good as the Mileage XS. I was really conservative on the gas pedal to try and squeeze out the best numbers. I have not tried the performance tune as of yet. I would say it takes some time to get good numbers. A throttle body spacer creates a larger area around the throttle body. This gives the throttle body a larger capacity for air intake, when the accelerator is pressed. When the throttle body valve opens, the throttle body spacer allows a greater amount of air to pass through the valve, increasing the power available to the truck. This improves the truck's energy efficiency, due to the fact that the air is readily available, so the truck does not need to expend effort to bring it to the throttle plate. I love mine, it makes a cool whistle sound when you hit the gas. Some people find it annoying, but I think it sounds great. I had mine professionally installed along with a AEM Brute Force Cooled Air Intake.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Quad Cab 4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
euromade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 View Post
I have the Superchips Cortex. With it, you can do everything you just mentioned. You can change your shift points and tire size in a very simple manner. Basically all you have to do is plug it in and follow like 3 or 4 links from the main menu and your done. The programmer does all the work, you just have to hit a couple buttons, it does not take long at all.
Thanks much...just ordered the 3865! If I could figure out the shift points alone, I'd be happy with the tuner.
Is there the thread somewhere explaining more about the shiftpoint settings in conjunction with the 3865?
Thanks...

Last edited by euromade; 01-22-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks. I'm going to try the Mileage xs tune when I get home from work next week. I'm going to leave it on xs for a few tanks of gas to see what it will do. Thanks for all the help DSPTYWCADETO9. EUROMADE. I haven't found nothing good on how to set the shift points. I even got on the Superchips makers forum. They said that a person should use the tuners preset options. Then once you see how it does, etc., then you can tinker with it to get it to your liking. But i will tell you that I find that the truck shifts alot smoother on the preset tunings than it did before. Hopefully someone will respond who could maybe help us both with this.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to try the Mileage xs tune when I get home from work next week. I'm going to leave it on xs for a few tanks of gas to see what it will do. Thanks for all the help DSPTYWCADETO9. EUROMADE. I haven't found nothing good on how to set the shift points. I even got on the Superchips makers forum. They said that a person should use the tuners preset options. Then once you see how it does, etc., then you can tinker with it to get it to your liking. But i will tell you that I find that the truck shifts alot smoother on the preset tunings than it did before. Hopefully someone will respond who could maybe help us both with this.
You're right, the shifting points are much more smooth. I wish you the best of luck with everything and if you need anything else just give me a shout.

-Nick
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have my truck set to the Mileage Xs tune. I went back to work for two weeks, but I should be able to post the mileage I get with it in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 ram 1500
Color: silver
youdontknowme1229 is on a distinguished road

I have a 07 1500 4.7 2wd with a superchips cortex. im very happy with all the tune setting, all do what they say they do, one thing i have notices is to see results quicker i reset the truck computer by disconnecting battery for about 5 min, i dont know how long it takes but 5 min seems to work, the computer learns your driving style. so with going from heavy footed 91 performance setting too light footed XS setting the computer has to learn your new driving style. reset it and it learns alot quicker.
As far as mpg this is what Ive seen. 91 setting city 11-15 . towing setting 9mpg but pulled my 3 quads up hills no problem. and XS with 87octane city 15-18. and stock city 12-16 number are worst and best i got with those setting and very little hwy driving and im a little heavy footed