DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Carol1 is on a distinguished road
Default What Oil To Use

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Express 4X4 this is the first new vehicle I have ever purchased and it is just now reached it's first oil change. I read my owners manual which Dodge recommends synthetic oil but my dealer standard oil is non synthetic oil. So what is the proper oil I should use, I purchased the free for life oil changes that the dealer offered and they will only use non synthetic unless I pay the difference. What is the deal will the non synthetic oil affect my warranty or should I insist on the synthetic oil?
I change my oil every 2500 to 3000 miles with a new filter old habits are hard to break. Would like to hear what so of you long time Ram users recommend. Thanks

Carol
Sponsored links
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

If you are sticking to your 2500-3000 mile regiment and the dino is included in it i would not see the need to run the synthetic. Even the dino oils of today are capable of running 5000-6000 miles no problem. But i also came from a family where my dad was religious of 3000 mile changes so I completely understand and if they are paying for it i say go for it
Old 06-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the 3K oil changes is a thing of the past and just a waste of $. I do agree 5-6K betwen changes, unless very severe service would present no problems for dino oil. My concern and question is why if the manual specifies synthetic, the dealer routinely using conventional? I know to save $$$, but they should be using what is specified by the manufacturer. That being the case, if you plan to keep your truck until the wheels fall off, I would pay the extra $ to get synthetic and make use at least in part, the services you were offered. If you do not plan to keep your truck long term, then stick with dino.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Carol1 is on a distinguished road

Well thank for the help, I will stick with the dino oil that the dealer is using (Mobile 500). I will change the oil the old fashion 2500 to 3000 miles with new filter. I have always gotten good service doing that before synthetic. I usually keep my rigs for 10 to 15 years and get pretty much trouble free out of them considering they have 250,000 + on them by then. I talked to other people that have different Mopar dealers servicing the Rams and they all say they are using the dino oil but will use the synthetic oil if requested at the users expense of course so I think it just boils down to money. Not to say synthetic isn't better but one has to go lot longer between oil changes than I personnel like.
I appreciate your in put and help Have a Great summer.

Carol