DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2012 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
boyohboy is on a distinguished road
Default Gen III 3.7l Towing

Ok, Hi Everyone, new here to the forum, already introduced myself in the Noob section and after reading through a lot of the forum threads I would like to know if there are folks here on the Ram Forum who are currently using a 3.7l truck to pull a Travel Trailer?
The Wife and are looking to buy a trailer here in the next week or so for traveling far and wide. After extensive searching and also having the sales person look it up, I would be limited to a 3800LB GVWR and 500LB tongue weight Max. trailer.
My SXT is an '08 3.7l with towing package. Just got her last week used. Very clean and runs super.
I have read about 'tilt up mirrors' (?) in some of the threads, my truck doesn't have them. I retired last year working for the City of Canton, OH and I do have extensive experience pulling trailer from small utility to beaver tail. If the truck I used had (what I call) 'truck mirrors' then that's what I used. If the truck had standard mirrors then that what I used.
When you say tilt up mirror do you mean the type that is split somewhere in the middle and one part can angle every-which-way from the other? I have used that type too but I regard them as a pain. Pardon my ignorance, Please!
Well, does anyone have experience pulling Ultra-Lights? So far everything I have looked at have single axels and I need to ask before I buy do they come with trailer brakes? If so, fine. If not, how stable does the trailer feel going down long highway grades. How does it feel against your truck?
All of my small utility trailering has been on city streets with no highway. My double axle trailering of large utility trailers and up have all had trailer brakes and I have done highway trailering.
In order to keep the GVWR within my limit requires me to have a single axle trailer. From experience the roads out West and to the east of here do get pretty steep.
Pardon the long Question. It may look like a lot of little questions but really it's a big one. Lou.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:6
thunderhawk is an unknown quantity at this point

To answer one question The flip up mirrors As You Called them Dodge has A Towing mirror that is a little bigger than the standard mirror but it has the ability when needed to flip up and out to to give a wider view down side of truck and the tow unit you can find these mirrors on ebay as well both in power mirror and manual to replace standard ones just search dodge tow mirrors
Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Engine: 2002-2012 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
boyohboy is on a distinguished road

Thank You thunderhawk for your reply! I am learning more and more each day about my truck, it's capabilities and what I need to do to make it ready for towing. Mirrors are very important and I expect to be getting a set that will enhance my towing experience. Lou.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:6
thunderhawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyohboy View Post
Thank You thunderhawk for your reply! I am learning more and more each day about my truck, it's capabilities and what I need to do to make it ready for towing. Mirrors are very important and I expect to be getting a set that will enhance my towing experience. Lou.
Your Welcome boyohboy