DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram QC SLT 4.7L 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
jrnannery is on a distinguished road
Default Clear coat damage

I bought my truck used. It has a lot of South Texas pinstriping courtesy of all the Live Oak and scrub brush here. When the truck is freshly washed, and it dries, you can see that the clearcoat is apparently scratched. What's the best way to repair the damage?
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

So many possible answers to your question…. First thing you need to find out is how many of those pinstripes are past the clear coat into the paint. You don't want to spend all day polishing only to find out that 20% of them are too deep and require sanding.
If I were you I'd pick a front fender- spray on some detail spray and wipe- if they disappear (even temporarily) that's a good thing and you can get to work with a polishing compound that is safe for clear coat and see how much you can improve it with an hour hard work. A good dual action polishing machine and an orange cutting pad will speed things up a lot.
If it looks good- the rest of the truck will take time… but you can take your time and spread it out over several weekends. It'll be nice to do it yourself. If the scratches are deep into the paint….. someone else will need to chime in because I would not be confident to tackle that job myself. Good luck. BE sure to take some before and after pics.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Color: Black Gold Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:38
rcmpvet is on a distinguished road

This guy has a lot of videos that should cover what you want. His instruction for scratches is in four parts and can take up to an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000
Old 07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

None are into the paint, thankfully. I'm contemplating cleaning them with the fiberglass 'pen', and then re-clearing the scratched areas. Afterwards, I believe I am going to sand down the orange peel. I want this truck PERFECT.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I have gotten some in the 13 I had. I had to wet sand and polish the compete pass side one my CC. Best way is to just have it wet sanded and polished. I am a painter so I have all the equipment to do it though. Best way is to have a professional sand it down and polish it like I did to mine. I didn't the driver side to get rid of the factory imperfections since the pass side looked better than the driver side when I was done. It is delicate work though if you sand a little to much or over polish it you can burnbthe clear coat and then that panel would need to be repainted.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

First off, you can't reclear just the scratches, you normally have to clear the entire panel.

To get the scratches out, get a power buffer. People hear horror stories about using power buffer and how you can burn threw the paint. Don't believe them. Get a dual action buffer, such as a Porter Cable or another good name brand. Don't get one of those slow speed buffers, they are useless.

Then get some foam pads. Wool pads are more likely to burn threw the paint. You can get different firmness pads. You probably want at least one firm pad to get the bad scratches out. Then get a couple of polishing compounds. Don't be afraid to get a little aggressive, you will be surprised at how hard you can buff the clear coat and not damage it. I usually use an slightly aggressive compound to start, then a lesser compound and then finish with a wax. Use a new pad each time and use a softer pad for the wax.

Its much easier and safer than it sounds. Griots Garage sells all this stuff too and they have some good videos.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have watched the guy at a body shop doing a side job, it was my Ram
I went on a Sunday, because sometime during the night, someone had graffitied my hood & both fenders, front doors & roof lines. The same person did worse to 2 other vehicles across the road.

He broke out a box of clean rags & gave the Ram a quick wash & rinse to get rid of dust
Then we both used Lacquer Thinner & the clean rags to start removing the green paint, it built up fast on the rag, so we had to turn the rag constantly & we went through several rags.

He then washed the Ram down real good

He then opened this very large box that had 2 large buffers in it, as well as several different thick liquids in squeeze type squirt bottles & at least 6 different colored buffer pads. The pads were all at least 12" in diameter.
He used a different pad for each of the liquids.
He ended up doing the bed sides too
The Ram looked better then New when he was done, except for a couple of scratches on the bed sides.

After he had finished, i asked him what he would take for that work & the price was to low & i doubled it.
It was his only day off & he deserved it & more
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Nice, GTyankee. That's the way to take care of someone.
RyanJM, I have some experience sanding automotive finishes. Good advice.
dodge man, I don't have an orbiatal, but I do have a professional grade Milwaukee buffer, and a few hours under my belt.

What I'm really worried about is that compounding will be ineffective. I've read a load of articles recently, and some folks, professionals, are saying its best to learn to like orange peel as you can permanently damage your existing finish with clear coat sanding. Wish me luck.+
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

If you are trying to remove some light scratches, I think you will have good luck. Orange peel? Maybe not as good as luck.