DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tstewart6367 is on a distinguished road

Update on my vibration issue -

Opened a case with Chrysler hotline - What a Joke!!
In the end, I was told that the vibration that I'm experiencing is a normal characteristic and no repairs are going to be performed. Case closed.

I took my truck and paid out of pocket to have another road force balance completed.
All tires balanced good except the front right, it was originally spun at "37" and they matched the high and low spots and got it down to "26". All other tires are "5".
This definitely helped the vibration in the steering wheel as it is now almost non-existent. The vibration in the seat has not changed and is still very noticeable.

I contacted a lemon law attorney and was told that with the repair history so far and with Chrysler saying that it's normal, it would be very hard to defend this in court.
Was advised to obtain an independent, neutral third party such as a seasoned mechanic that knows vibration issues. If that person would agree that there is actually an issue, it might be worth pursuing further.

So, I guess I have nowhere to go at this point. It's either live with it or get rid of the truck and I love absolutely everything about this truck except for the vibration.

The really sad thing about this, is that the consumer is forced to accept what Chrysler is handing out and that's crap!

I think back to the day of purchase and it was almost closing time, so if I was to have mentioned anything about a vibration prior to signing, the dealership would have just said come back and we'll balance the tires. They absolutely would not have let me leave the dealership without the truck that day and I should have just waited until they repaired the issue before signing. This has been a lesson learned.

That's all of my ranting for now, If anything changes in the future, I'll post again.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White / Gold
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
bdkennedy1 is on a distinguished road

I picked up a 2011 RAM Laramie a few months ago. I noticed that when I get up to 70mph, there's a vibration that shakes the steering wheel and the seats. It doesn't happen constantly, but it's enough where it could make a long trip miserable. If I'm driving into wind, it's even worse.

Ok, the tires need to be balanced. The tires on this truck only had about a year left so I went and bought 4 new tires that are factory original.

Still shaking. I took it back to the place I bought the tires and they rebalanced the tires.

Still shaking. Took it to a Dodge dealership. They thought a rim may be bent. They sent the tires and rims to a shop to have the rims spun. Nothing wrong with the rims or tires. Tires balanced a 3rd time.

Still shaking. It was about time for new shocks so I bought four new ones. Rids like it just came off the lot new - except for the shaking.

You cannot tell me that this is a natural occurrence. My 2010 RAM was smooth as glass at 70+ MPH.

I don't know what else to do. I took it to a Dodge dealership and even they were wrong. Stabilizer bar? U-Joints? Aerodynamics? RAM box?

Last edited by bdkennedy1; 06-22-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

Its definitely NOT a natural occurrence. I finally after talking with my tire store and having them TRY 7 times to balance, road force balance and rotate them in every which way, they replaced all 4 (I put the Continental LX20 Cross track. on 20" factory wheels, new back in FEB). After they replaced them I could tell right off they where good.. Tested them out all the way to 125mph and smooth as glass. Most of the time the vibration you're feeling IS the tires.. I have 126k miles on my truck and now it feels and drives like a new one again.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie w/Ram Box
Color: Mineral Grey
AFHokie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
I picked up a 2011 RAM Laramie a few months ago. I noticed that when I get up to 70mph, there's a vibration that shakes the steering wheel and the seats. It doesn't happen constantly, but it's enough where it could make a long trip miserable. If I'm driving into wind, it's even worse.
I have the same harmonic vibration problem you describe. It first I didn't think much about it until I went on a few long distance trips and realized how noticeable and fatiguing it is. New aftermarket wheels and tires didn't solve the problem either. The vibration starts anytime I get up over 50mph. Occasionally, I'll find myself on a very smooth patch of new road and the vibration goes away, but those are few and far between. Besides, it should not vibrate like this even on a road that's clearly in need of repaving.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

My truck is at the dealership right now for this problem. Will post what the results are tonight. The service manager thought it may be the stabilizer bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
I have the same harmonic vibration problem you describe. It first I didn't think much about it until I went on a few long distance trips and realized how noticeable and fatiguing it is. New aftermarket wheels and tires didn't solve the problem either. The vibration starts anytime I get up over 50mph. Occasionally, I'll find myself on a very smooth patch of new road and the vibration goes away, but those are few and far between. Besides, it should not vibrate like this even on a road that's clearly in need of repaving.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Truck is back. Turns out some of the tires are bad and can't be balanced because they are warped. Service manager says this happens often. It occurs when the tires come out of a defective mold or they don't cool down correctly. Everything else was fine (whew). She suggested that when buying new tires to make sure the seller checks that they are perfectly in shape.

Went back to Sears and they are replacing the tires and giving me a free alignment.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, I had the new tires replaced with 4 new ones and the truck still shakes. Sears said there's no way 8 tires are defective.

Took it back to Dodge today. I had a new drive shaft covered under drive-train warranty put on in April and asked if that was out of balance. They said it comes pre-balanced from the factory. I said, well it's a 4 year old truck, how do they know what the balance should be?

Then they came up with this STAR case document S1218000021 "Vehicle Vibration While Driving 40-60 MPH While In MDS Operation".

Apparently the damper weights are defective and have been redesigned, but it's not a recall and it's not covered under the drive-train warranty. It's a $160 fix. I have an appointment Wednesday to have them replaced.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf S1218000021.pdf (18.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

That's awesome to know, thanks man,,,, but I have a programmer on mine with MDS turned off and still get a still vib at those speeds, so it definitely isn't MDS related but more speed related and/or a TC issue...
Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I wonder what they are covering up. So many people have this problem.

My 2010 RAM didn't have this problem. Smooth as glass.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

no problem with my 11, yet.