DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Ram3-08 is on a distinguished road
Default EVIC Upgrade

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, seemed to be the closest in regards to my question.

I bought a 2011 ST Hemi 4x4 and have decided to upgrade the EVIC. I bought the base model because it fit my budget at the time and I really didn't need any comfort amenities like heated leather seats, heated steering wheel, dual zone temp....and on and on. That being said the mod bug hit and here I am.

My issue is whether the EVIC I bought will work or not. I got really excited to find an EVIC from a 2009 Ram at a really good price from a scrapyard and I pulled the trigger but I didnt check that it was compatible with a 2011 or that it was from a Hemi (it was from a 4.7L). The mileage from the EVIC is at 63,000 km and mine reads 48,000 km so I have a lot of time to get it right before installing.

Reading on some of the other posts I see that the tire pressure option on the EVIC might not work from 2009 and that ill need a new steering wheel to control it (not an issue) but I want to know if the swap can still be done even though they are different engines/years?
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So the EVIC came in the mail and I decided to install it and hope for the best. The swap was very easy but getting the plastic connectors out of the back, mainly the far left connector, was a pain with the angle you are forced to work with. Everything worked in the end.

I don't have the new steering wheel needed to control the EVIC so I haven't attempted the wiring yet but I have a long time to catch up to the mileage. I don't have the overhead console either so the compass doesn't work, which means it'll bug me until I decide to do that mod too. All the indicator lights illuminated aswell so I'm confident this mod will work regardless of what vehicle drive-train and options the cluster came from to begin with. After dwelling on it, it made sense the computer would determine what information is sent and displayed on the cluster.

I took pictures of the swap but this is my first time posting pictures on the forum so forgive me if it doesn't work at first or looks off lol.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

photo1.jpg

Current ST cluster installed. Remove negative on battery and tilt steering wheel to furthest downward setting.

photo2.jpg

Remove 3x screws from plastic shroud using T-20 Torx bit.

photo3.jpg

I used a small flathead screwdriver to pull the top part of the shroud down so I can grab a hold of it. Pull towards yourself until it almost comes out. The two remaining retainer clips at the bottom of the shroud require you to pull from the very bottom in order to not break the plastic clips. Very much like taking the two bottom clips out of the grille assembly when removing that part. Take your time and it wont break.

photo4.jpg

In the lower right hand corner of the picture you will see the housing for the retaining clip mentioned in the previous step. There are 2x screws to remove to allow the cluster to be moved freely. They require a 7mm socket driver or 3/8 inch driver. Once removed, tilt the top of the cluster towards the front of the vehicle until you see the bottom of the cluster and pull towards yourself.

photo7.jpg

Remove 3x connectors from the back of the cluster. This was a pain because of the tight space but be patient and careful and it wont take too long.

photo6.jpg

Remove old cluster.

photo8.jpg

Replace new cluster into the housing and make all connections. Push, Click, Push to ensure a solid re-connection.

photo9.jpg

Reattach negative to the battery and proceed to check all indicator lights for proper functionality. The gauges all work after the installation (truck was not on when I took this picture though). As you can see in the picture the DTE, outside temp, and the current radio station display are all functional. I can switch between the mileage, trip A, trip B and engine hours display on the bottom part of the EVIC but without the steering wheel buttons I cannot advance in the menu.

Re-intall the 2x 7mm screws into the lower clips of the housing and re-attach the shroud to the cluster housing. Screw in the remaining 3 Torx screws to the top of the cluster housing and the swap is complete.