DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.0L Eco-Diesel V6

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 BH Quad cab Ecodiesel 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:18
DustinT is on a distinguished road
Default Just got it, love it so far

I'm about 500 miles into this truck and so far I love it. I've got a 2014 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4 with quite a few options. So far I love it. It's got a terrific ride that's easily better than my wife's 2012 Honda Accord EX-L v6. And the diesel... wow.

This engine sounds great, pulls well and gets amazing fuel economy. I spent the weekend with some folks on a building project and I couldn't turn around without someone asking about it. They wanted to look under the hood, see the fuel economy, go for a ride... Lol, I'm not used to that sort of attention for a truck and I think it just says so much about how Ram has finally delivered what the LT buyer wants, a great diesel engine.

I'm thinking about the Nissan 5.0 Cummins that's supposed to be released in the fall (A year after the Ram 1500 3.0) and I'm not seeing the appeal. First off, I don't know anyone that's still driving a Nissan truck. Second, a 5.0 Cummins is way to much engine for a half ton truck. Economy will suffer and going to be too heavy for the chassis. Dunno, to early to tell since the truck isn't on the market yet, but I don't think Nissan has anything to offer.

But this Ram... Great truck. Regarding the engine, I know you've read the reviews that talk about how quiet the engine is. They are lying. This engine is virtually silent from INSIDE the truck. Outside, you get a lovely diesel noise. And if you roll down the windows and\or get on the gas (can I say that) pedal, the engine makes itself known in a subdued and powerful way. It's not that sexy v8 burble of the Hemi, this is a new and different sound that is quite mature. I love it.

The power of the truck is very nice. It's got plenty of power for stop and go traffic (I work in Atlanta and live in a suburb about 50 miles outside of town so I see plenty of that.) There's also plenty of power for climbing mountains, towing, passing, etc. I can honestly say I've never been wanting for power in this truck. It's not going to win a drag race with a Hemi but it'll embarrass it on a long trip when it passes gas stations that the Hemi driver needs to visit.

Would I recommend it for anyone? Ya, pretty much. There's no smoke, smell or any unpleasantness from old school diesels. I grew up with German and American diesels from GM, VW and Audi and this is a whole different class of engine. I'd give this to my mom and let her drive it and aside from putting in fuel from the green pump instead of the normal one, I'm not sure she'd notice.

Oh, and I've got the remote start option on mine and I have to say I LOVE it. Use it all the time. Here's two scenarios... I'm in my office on the 4th floor and I'm getting ready to drive to lunch. Whip out my iPhone and use the Uconnect app to start the truck. 10 minutes later I hit the elevator and the A\C has cooled it down nicely. Other scenario is that I'm in and out of the truck all day and when I know I'm heading back to it, I fire it up to let the engine warm up a bit before I start driving. In that case it'll idle maybe 30-90 seconds before I jump in and start going somewhere. Will it make the engine last longer? I hope so.

I think it's still too early to talk about real fuel economy number since there's still some breakin that needs to happen in the transmission, differential and my right foot. But, first impressions are very good, I think for me this is a better power train choice than the Hemi or Pentastar.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Diesel 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: white
Rep:10
oilbelcher is on a distinguished road

Agree. I'm 1400 mikes into my Eco diesel. Love it, along with trans, iphone remote start, and air suspension is so much fun to play with.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Ya, I would have liked to get the air suspension on mine but in the south east it's very hard to find a truck with it that isn't a 50k+ model. My budget was $46k so I had to skip that option. Oh well, there's plenty of other great things about my truck so I'm ok without it. If anything, I'll do a set of rear air springs with a pump and remote control. Looks like I can get one installed for about $300 or so, which is a pretty good deal, I think.

I'm at 2,200 miles and just added 5 gallons of def. I dealt with a scummy dealer and they didn't fill up the def tank when I bought it. It was worth it to me to not have to deal with them again and just get it locally. I need to find a truck stop with DEF at the pump in Atlanta off the 75, 575 corridor. But, with the rate it gets burned, I've got a few months to do it.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue with Black
Rep:10
PTCTreeGuy is on a distinguished road

Try Pilot in Cartersville, I75 exit 296 or Loves on 75 at exit 283 if you're staying on 75. Closest I've seen to your side of town. I have to remember to add my local on 285 to the GPS when I finally get my truck, about a 1/4 mile out of my way on the way home is perfect.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCTreeGuy View Post
Try Pilot in Cartersville, I75 exit 296 or Loves on 1 if you're staying on 75. Closest I've seen to your side of town. I have to remember to add my local on 285 to the GPS when I finally get my truck, about a 1/4 mile out of my way on the way home is perfect.
Thanks for the tips, I'll hit Cartersville sometime soon.