DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: laramie longhorn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Taffy is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 paint defects (PLEASE HELP)

Hi All

Wonder if someone could please help.
I bought a brand new 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn (black in color) last October.
When polishing it that same month I noticed 2 defects on the hood,which appeared to be dirt/grit under the clear coat. I took the truck into the dealer the following day where the body shop guy told me that it was dust below the clear coat which he would try to buff out,he did this and it still looks like shit. Only other option I was given was that he could respray the hood but said he wouldn't advise I do this as I would notice the difference in paint. I decided to leave it as is.

10 months later. This weekend I gave my truck a good waxing and noticed there is the same problem on the drivers door, about 3/4" in length right on the edge of door.
I went back to dealers yesterday and showed this to body shop guy and first thing he says is, the door will need to be repainted. When I ask him will the paint difference be visible he tells me (Not AT All it's black it's easy to match) only when I'm leaving the dealers I remember what he last told me on my 1st visit.

I'm scheduled to take it in next week to get the door painted.

Is this a good idea???? Some people say I won't notice the door has been painted and others say I will.

What do you think???

Thank u for your time all
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM Sport 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
gutter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
I took the truck into the dealer the following day where the body shop guy told me that it was dust below the clear coat.
I have a similar issue on my hood and tailgate - small paint nibs, probably dirt. Fortunately they aren't super noticeable.

While color matching is a concern, I'm more concerned about overall paint job quality and longevity. My understanding is factory paint is generally better because they do it in controlled environments at very high temperatures so the paint adheres better.

High-end body shops can supposedly match or beat factory paint, but it'll cost you and I'm not sure how to find a reputable shop.

In my situation, I've decided to leave well enough alone.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

See post on Paint Problems - 2014 Big Horn. A skilled tech or a very careful and patient owner could probably level the nibs by wet sanding and polishing. Follow this with a good wax. I think that it would be relatively easy to do on black.

Black may or May not match. Most of the time is does. I have owned eight black vehicles. Sometimes it is difficult to get the orange peel to match.

I for sure would check around at a couple of good body shops to see if they could level the nibs....even if you have to pay for it yourself. As I mentioned in the Paint Problems thread, I leveled 79 of the little rascals and now even I can't find any evidence that I did so.

Do a search of my posts. I'm pretty sure they will turn up some helpful hints and encouragement that I got from some other forum folks.

Also Goggle "dirt nibs in factory paint". My posts to different forums will show up as well as some other information on removing dirt nibs. My posts to Auto Geek are probably most helpful.
Tom
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's

Last edited by tguil; 07-09-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank u guys
Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 CC 4x4 8spd & 3.92's
Trim Level: Laramie
Dadsgotahemi is on a distinguished road

Dealer is going to repainted my truck. White 2014 and there are defects on almost every panel of my truck (some very hard to see because of the color). Dealer already fixed a blue one, waiting for regional rep to look at mine since they can't get a high enough rez pic with the camera they have.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
jcat is on a distinguished road

have a few spots like this on my truck but mostly in areas that you can't see. Door jambs, inside fender lip under the hood, etc. Doesn't bother me much since it's a lease but you'd think a $40k sticker price would get you a half decent paint job from the get go.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi Guys

I finally took my truck in last Monday to make an appointment to get the paint defects repaired,the weekend before going to the dealers I spent the weekend polishing the truck and circled all defects (16 defects in total mainly grit under clear coat,all panels except for passenger door). Dealer reviewed and told me to bring the truck back in today with all defects marked up.

I took the truck in this morning. I received a call from dealer this afternoon saying that he is unable to remove any of the defects but they do look better. I told him this is not acceptable and that I wanted the truck repainted.

He told me that he would put a request into Chrysler to get the truck repainted.

You guys have any idea how long it takes to get an answer?

Thank you for your time all

Cheers
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM

Rep:15
speedfoos is on a distinguished road

Subscribing to this for updates and later research on tguil's posts. I've found three so far and will look for more.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Taffy,

I've been around for a long time. Been messing with detailing for our fifty years. Have had lots of paint work done by high quality shops...all colors. Both metallic non-metallic. I have rarely, maybe only once or twice had a perfect repaint on the first attempt. I took a black Ram back to my favorite shop three times. This was a very high end shop. Just had body work done on my 2011 Ram by a high quality shop which uses the most up- to-date methods and materials. All the techs were well trained and experienced. They did a good job but I still had to take it back and I am still living with a few minor flaws.

I'd think twice about a repaint. To do a perfect job, the shop has to remove all the trim, the bumpers, all the glass including the windshield and rear window. Masking simply does not "git-r-done". I don't think Chrysler would approve this.

Double check on having the nibs leveled by wet sanding and polishing. It can be done. But the person doing it has to be a perfectionist and a darn careful worker. Then keep your truck well waxed or have a detailer Opti Coat it.

Sometimes good enough has to be just that ....good enough.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 AM

Rep:15
speedfoos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
Sometimes good enough has to be just that ....good enough.
There's a mountain of truth in that tiny statement.

Me, I'm picking a fresh pack of pencils and some 1500 grit today.