DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 6.4-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 410 horsepower, 429 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 2500 crewcab 4x4
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: monotone black
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:17
magnum74 is on a distinguished road

This is correct. It's the same output but HP is rated at max torque rpm on the 10K+ GVW models, I believe. He'll get all 410 in this Megacab when he winds it up.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

FYI update, still having issues with the check engine light and fuel cap warning coming on. Dealer looked at it and found nothing even tried charging me for the shop time. Not exactly pleased that they didn't find a problem let alone trying to make me pay.

The EVAP system checked out fine, no issues, yet I still get both check engine and fuel cap warnings. Truck still runs like a top with no problems and fuel mileage still surprises me. Can't say a bad thing about it's build quality and performance but this issue is starting to piss me off.

My next course of action is taking it to another dealer to see what they find. I haven't found any other 6.4 Rams on the net with this issue so I'm assuming mine really does have a some sort of freak problem and I want it solved.

Anyway, had it out in the Rocky Moutains this weekend (Edmonton to Nordegg) and it was great. Pulled grades with no drama on cruise and the way it performed made me confident that throwing 10K behind it wouldn't make me cringe on the same trip.

One thing worth noting is that at highway speed a full throttle downshift brings it to the 4000rpm range which is where the torque peak happens. It pulls very hard here if you stay on the throttle. In the past, running any truck V8 at 4000 rpm would sound like it was ready to implode but the 6.4 just growls quietly. Obviously, this is the big difference between the Cummins and the 6.4 and even though the 6.4 is a ant compared to the Cummins it will get the same thing done without feeling like it's being pushed to the limit. Even when it runs up to it's rev limit past 5000 it's not uncomfortable or shaking the truck apart.

All things being equal I'd still take a diesel over a gasser but the ease of maintance on the gasser compared to the complexity of the diesels now makes this big gasser worth it for me.

My only issue with the truck is this damn check engine/fuel cap thing. I'll keep updating here.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.4L&4.10's
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Silver
Rep:19
wyo2track is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post
Anyway, had it out in the Rocky Moutains this weekend (Edmonton to Nordegg) and it was great. Pulled grades with no drama on cruise and the way it performed made me confident that throwing 10K behind it wouldn't make me cringe on the same trip.
Thanks for the update. Good Stuff!! Those have been some of my observations too.

Sorry if I get a little winded in this report, but here our my initial observations with 750 miles on my 6.4L. My MDS has come on only very briefly. On the way home from the 240 mile drive from the dealer, on long downhill grade stretches it would come on. A little different hearing for the first few times. EVIC instantaneous mileage would jump up to 25 & 26 mpg, but wouldn't hold very long. Maybe as it gets broken in the MDS will come on more. I'm not expecting too much out of the MDS, this is a HD truck weighing over 7200 lbs with me & my gear in it.

My first tank of gas (funny to say, since I've had a CTD for the last 14 years), was at a hand calc'd 14.4 mpg which was within 2 mpg of where my 2013 CTD (traded off with 7180 miles) was when I traded it. The EVIC tip mileage said 13.8. This first tank was 180 miles with the cruise set at 69mph and 60 miles of 78 mph. I climbed from 4300 feet back up to 7200 feet on the way home, so overall a long uphill grade. My thoughts; The 4.10's was the way to go! The instantaneous mileage doesn't have these big mpg swings the 2013 had with 3.42's. It will hold 14 & 15 mpg on the EVIC on long shallow uphill grade stretches, within 1 mpg of where the 2013 CTD would be.

On the short flatter stretches driving with the cruise set on 78 mph on the interstate, the EVIC would hit & hold 15 & 16 mpg, then drop to 12 & 13 as grades increased. Not to bad and not to different from the 2013 CTD. I never saw better than 15.5 at 75-80mph in the 2013 CTD. Overtime and with more break-in, I believe I'll be within 1.5-2 mpg of where the 2013 was...only time will tell. Still on my 2nd tank of fuel.

The 6.4L does not have the brute torque of the 6.7 CTD...there is that glaring difference. There will be a feeling that the 6.4L is working more when pulling a load then the 6.7 CTD. Will have to expect more shifting, no doubt.

Off road, it is much more nimble than the 2013 CTD 3500 and the extra pounds from the 6.7 CTD is noticeably missing. Lots of forest roads in my area and better off-road handling has been well worth the switch. The 6.4 tuning off the line is much much better than the 2013 CTD. These 4.10's really jump off the line. In low speed, off road conditions it moves the truck when needed, no waiting for the computer nanny to let the CTD rev. What a breath of fresh air. IMO, on a flat stretch there would be very little difference between the 2013 CTD and the 6.4L...up to ~70 mph. The CTD would overtake it from there with the turbo advantage.

Behind town, there is a nice 1000 foot 6% uphill grade that flattens out to 4% for another 400 feet. I like going up there and making sure no carbon builds up...anyways...the 2013 CTD would hit 80 mph at the top. The 6.4L hits 75 mph. The 370 lb/ft less rated torque is the difference. Mind you, this 6.4L has the same gear set as the 68RFE that the 2013 had that I traded. Not too bad for a big heavy gasser at 7200 feet, which is handicapped by 25-30% just from physics of available air.

I have said before on this forum that I thought 2nd gear was a little flat in the 6.4L and I'll still owe up to that. Seems like you have to lean into the throttle rather than pinning it to get that smooth transition. FWIW, on this same hill, my 2001 5.9L CTD stock would hit 62 mph and it pulled everything I ever needed it too with 170 less rated horsepower and just a little more torque.

My towing trips aren't very far where I live, so I can't wait to see how it does. I believe it will fit my needs better than the 2013 CTD did and the main reason why I decided to make the switch so quickly (Big rebates on RAM gasoline engines helped too) One nice thing, this 2014 with coils has a GREAT ride and doesn't shake at speeds over 70 mph like the 2013 3500 CTD I traded off did, it was very annoying and down right uncomfortable at speeds above 75. My only complaint right now is a malfuctioning TPMS, but it seems many owners battle with that system.

Very happy with the switch so far and love hearing 392ci of V-8 HEMI come to life!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have an update with the check engine and fuel cap warnings. The dealer pretty much spent a day with it and did a bunch of re flashes. Everything seems back to normal and the truck runs great. They put the list of codes that showed up on my invoice. There were 3 of them.

The best thing though is the drivability of the truck is noticeably better. The weird lag after the 1-2 shift is gone and overall the nannies have been smoothed out. The difference is enough that I immediately noticed it. I'm assuming the 6.4 trucks that are currently being produced have this updated program. I can post the flash if anybody cares. I know mine was the first production run so I'm not sure where it's applicable.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post
I have an update with the check engine and fuel cap warnings. The dealer pretty much spent a day with it and did a bunch of re flashes. Everything seems back to normal and the truck runs great. They put the list of codes that showed up on my invoice. There were 3 of them.

The best thing though is the drivability of the truck is noticeably better. The weird lag after the 1-2 shift is gone and overall the nannies have been smoothed out. The difference is enough that I immediately noticed it. I'm assuming the 6.4 trucks that are currently being produced have this updated program. I can post the flash if anybody cares. I know mine was the first production run so I'm not sure where it's applicable.
Thanks! Would love to see service ticket and flash! Glad it got worked out.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.4L&4.10's
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Silver
Rep:19
wyo2track is on a distinguished road

^X2 on the flash. I read the above and immediately started feeling all giddy inside.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The bulletin is #18-004-14 REV. I looked it up and it just indicates the issues of warning lights and codes fix which is exactly what mine was doing. I can't find anything else about it but the truck drives like a beast. This flash definitely made the truck different in a good way. I guess it's possible they did other flashes too but I can't find anything specific to engine control changes and there's nothing else on the invoice.

Anyway, you can ask your dealer about and see what they say.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 3500 Dually
Color: Bright White
Rep:10
edharp1 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

like someone mentioned earlier, My dad also just bought a 2014 6.4 3500 Dually. I have not seen any one really post anything about the dually on the site. But a little about the truck... Trademan, 3.73 gears, 4 door, long bed. Its a beaut with only 100 miles on her right now. My dad recently called me at work and he loves the truck and how smooth the ride is compare to his last truck. His last one was a 2004 Harley-Davidson F-250 with a 6 inch lift and 38s... Great for hauling anything we could through at it but my dad needed a lower truck and to get rid of the 6.blow... After reading everything about the shocks and MPG and hauling I can not wait to haul with the truck now.

Now for the good stuff.. I have read that people are putting the 5.7 drop in air filter for the 6.4, Any one have updates on that?? Also exhaust.. has anyone put any different exhaust on the trucks yet? Remember this is the long bed. My dad and I are racers so we like loud cars and truck. And last question... Leveling kits??? I was looking at the rough country 2.5 level kit. All duallies (ford,chevy and dodge) sit low in the front and we both agree we need the kit. SO can you guys help me out??
Old 08-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 6.4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Huskerfan777 is on a distinguished road

K&N filter fits right in. Dunno how much difference it really makes for improved HP or gas mileage but you can clean the filter as often as it gets dirty. You have to fix the exhaust! Just after the Cats, the pipes come together into one. This is the spot of concern. Look and feel how both pipes are mashed together to half their original diameter. Cut that spot out and run duals from that point on. I used two Flowmaster 40's and it sounds awesome! I firmly believe this is what gave me an increase in fuel mileage. Can't help on the leveling kit. Still trying to find out more about lift kits but there just isn't much out there to find....
Old 09-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have an update on my check engine light. They finally solved it. It was a loose evap hose. After all that this little guy was the culprit.

I'm up to 35,000kms now. I took it in for an oil change and other servicing as per schedule (both diffs, tire rotation and brake tune up/inspection/lubrication). It's in top shape and everything is wearing evenly and with no excess. Very happy with the durability so far. It does live in harsh conditions and takes a beat down. If this truck continues to be reliable I will get another one one in late 2015 as a 2016 model and hopefully with an 8-speed trans.

The reality is most trucks are reasonably durable and reliable now but Dodge has really stepped up their game the last few years with quality and fit and finish. I'll always prefer a Cummins but it's not a great option for my use. Glad I took a chance on this rig and being one of the first owners of the first run it was a bit of a gamble having no real world references for the 6.4 trucks.