DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Shock Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
B1ueDemon is on a distinguished road
Question Performance Heads, Intake, and Transmission?

I just recently did a V6-318 swap, which was a nightmare by the way, on my 98 1500. Much better than the V6. I had the 318 completly rebuilt with a bigger computer friendly cam and also balanced. But I'm kinda greedy and want more power! Been thinking lately of putting on some performance heads and intake. As for the heads, I cant decide between Engine Quest's magnum replacements or Edelbrock Preformer RPM heads. Which is better? The intake will probably be the Mopar M1 intake. But im not sure if there are any better intakes than this. Are there? Another kinda off topic question, but are there any shift kits that can be installed to make the transmission perform better? Mine is starting to run rather ragged. One more thing, i still have the tranny that was on the V6. Should i just buy a new transmission or try and have this one rebuilt? Thanks ahead of time for all the help!
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ueDemon View Post
I just recently did a V6-318 swap, which was a nightmare by the way, on my 98 1500. Much better than the V6. I had the 318 completly rebuilt with a bigger computer friendly cam and also balanced. But I'm kinda greedy and want more power! Been thinking lately of putting on some performance heads and intake. As for the heads, I cant decide between Engine Quest's magnum replacements or Edelbrock Preformer RPM heads. Which is better? The intake will probably be the Mopar M1 intake. But im not sure if there are any better intakes than this. Are there? Another kinda off topic question, but are there any shift kits that can be installed to make the transmission perform better? Mine is starting to run rather ragged. One more thing, i still have the tranny that was on the V6. Should i just buy a new transmission or try and have this one rebuilt? Thanks ahead of time for all the help!
The edelbrocks I think are better, but you are going to want to raise compression or run hotter plugs or a hotter thermostat because those heads are aluminum.

As for the transmission, you should just rebuild it if it works. If it's a 46 series it will perform fine after a good rebuild. Oh, I rebuild these and I do not recommend shift kits. I just recommend you do a good rebuild and replace the manual valve, pressure regulator valve, and shuttle valve with sonnax replacements. also replace the front servo assembly and accumulator. add an external cooler also.

quite honestly, those edelbrock heads are very expensive.

anyways, this is just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

The EQ heads are a good bang for buck, and are thick enough to do some porting.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
The edelbrocks I think are better, but you are going to want to raise compression or run hotter plugs or a hotter thermostat because those heads are aluminum.

Cut....

anyways, this is just my 2 cents.
There is no reason necessary to change anything because of the material of the head, which is alloy, not aluminum.

While it's true alloy heads can handle slightly more compression due to material, most improvements are due to combustion chamber refinements.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

All good ideas, but I'm curious as to why you went with a short stroke 318 in a heavy truck instead of starting out with a 360 (longer stroke, more displacement, better truck engine)?

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough
Question

The Edelbrock heads are alloy.....aluminum alloy. The reason to increase the compression is to take advantage of the greater heat dissipation rate of aluminum, but it is not necessary. You can play that advantage another way to even greater effect. Get a custom tune. The aluminum heads will dissipate heat faster, thus allowing for more ignition timing, and a quicker ignition advance for a given octane fuel. This gives more usable power. Or, leave it alone, run regular gas and be happy. I like the Stage II Fairbanks kit for the transmission, but the kits from TransGo, Superior, Sonnax, B&M, etc, are all basically the same.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 07-25-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Shock Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
B1ueDemon is on a distinguished road

Thank for all the replies guys! Think im going to go with the EQ heads and a simple rebuild on the tranny. Noticed that nobody had anything to say about the intake. Is the Mopar M1 the best bang for my buck or is there a better option? As for me doing all this with a 318 instead of 360, the parts truck I had was a 318 so thats what I used. Simply as that. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

The M1 is pretty much the only game in town. The only option I know of is the Hughes/Edelbrock RPM AirGap for Magnum. Being adapted from a true dual-plane manifold, it does offer great low and mid-range torque while maintaining top-end power. I want one! Price is an issue. Granted the M1 packages can get pricey too, but they're pretty much a bolt-in replacement. The Hughes package requires more work (well worth it) and has the included hardware, hence the kit cost.