DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Off Road
Color: Tan (Light Pearl Almond)
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
wassonii is on a distinguished road
Default The continuing saga of P0700 and P0750...

In my initial and second threads I laid out how I came into this beautiful beast (2004 1500 SLT 5.7 4x4 Automatic- I just rolled 29,000 a few miles ago).
After having the 30,000 mile service done (544.00 at a dealer as I have no workspace and minimal tools), I reminded the fellow about the Check Engine Light which yielded the above codes. The initial response was to change the solenoid pack. About 120-130 miles down the road without issue, the same codes popped up (also P2161 due to 3 tires with nasty flat spots) so I limped home (another 350 miles, which I babied all the way, making frequent stops.) In the place I live I had no connects for trusted mechanics and babied it on a return trip (again with frequent stops so as not to further aggravate any issues)to the fellow 500 miles away. Rather than pieces/part the tranny, I opted for a Jasper reman and some new tires (lo, the 2161 has been silent since). The work was done at the same place as previously mentioned, properly flashed and quick-learned, and I started back, but 0700 and 0750 returned within 30-odd miles of travel. Babied back home so as to not mess up the newness. I have decided to make nice with the local service department and am getting a new PCM in a few days. Then we shall see. When I had the tranny replaced, I had the Throttle Body cleaned since, as I mentioned in my previous posts, the beast had sat unmoved for at least 12-14 months (hence the tire flatspots). Dang, was that nasty. I didn't think to grab a quick pic, but suffice it to say, it was reeeaaalllyyy ugly until it got cleaned. Due to the TB's filthy nature, I am getting a new EGR, which should help some with mileage, less carbon moving around, and relative peace of mind. (Too, I would have to have the darn thing flashed as the beast was manufactured in January 2004, right in the heart of some Ram-making-weirdness.)
Symptoms: Typical limp-mode stuffs, but not with regularity; also occasionally when down-shifting a slight jerk in the system in its' most recent incarnation, but it was much stronger and a more physical jerk and audible "kunk" before the new tranny.
13.5 mpg on this most recent trip up. 15.6 mpg on the return trip post-tranny and tires. All highway.
If it's not PCM, I will look at wiring. I know this goes against others' suggestions of wiring first, but given what I have been reading on this and other forums about PCM's from this era manufacturing, I think this is a more proper place to start.
If anyone has had dealings with a 3rd gen sitting for that length of time, any input of what else to look for is greatly appreciated.
Of note: with each fill-up, I have used some manner of fuel system cleaner (Red Line, Techron, Royal Purple, Seafoam, STP, Dura Lube - in that order, not all at once and with minimal overlap) to help the injectors and to break up any other deposits.
One thing that bugged me when they did the 30,000 service was they only checked the chemical consistency of the coolant rather than changing it. I will rectify that in the next few days and have a Mopar shop check the hoses and belt.
I will report back after this next batch of doings...
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat
Hear-Me is on a distinguished road
Cool

Wow dude, sorry for all of your troubles. I need new tires and an oil change...and feel stressed.

Hope it all smooths out soon. The Ram 1500's are good solid trucks...hang in there.

Last edited by Hear-Me; 06-21-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No worries. Just need to get this sussed out. Figured I'd add my 2cents to the forum since I have found some great infos here already and need to document should someone else incur a similar situation. It is indeed one heck of a great truck that will, when back to a good point, have a nice long life with me.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you have a wiring problem, not a trans problem. P0750 is an LR Solenoid Circuit fault, which indicates a problem with (duh) the LR solenoid circuit. This fault will put you in full limp-in mode (4th gear all the time with no TCC engagement), so truck will feel really sluggish when you launch from a stop, and will have high RPMs at speed. It's best not to drive it for extended distances in limp-in; it is easy to overheat the trans if you run in limp-in. Restarting the engine will clear the limp-in condition (as long as the solenoid circuit keeps working OK).

The PCM periodically (every 10 seconds, I think) checks the continuity of each of the main clutch solenoid coils. There are six of these solenoids (LR, UD, OD, 2C, 4C, and MS). To check each solenoid, the PCM briefly changes the state (turns it off if it was on, or on if it was off), and then turns it back to its original state. When each solenoid is on, it develops a magnetic field around the solenoid coil. When the current is turned off, this magnetic field collapses, which induces a short voltage spike on the solenoid wire. The PCM monitors the voltage on the solenoid wire, after it turns the solenoid off, and watches for this induced spike. If it fails to see the spike, it repeats the test. After I think 3 successive failures, it sets the related fault code (for the LR solenoid, P0750) and puts you into limp-in.

Now there are basically three different problems that can cause a solenoid circuit fault:
• Solenoid coil is open (broken coil wire)
• Wiring between solenoid and PCM is bad (open, or shorted into another wire)
• Solenoid driver chip in PCM is bad (either not activating the solenoid properly, or not recognizing the voltage spike)

The problem is in tracking down which one of these is the real root cause. I usually suggest you first try simply disconnecting (and reconnecting) the trans wiring harness (although in your case, that's already been done multiple times!). Sometimes the connection on one of the pins gets flaky, and simply unplugging it and then reseating it fixes the issue. Sounds like this wasn't the case with you.

We can rule out the solenoid (since a new one, and even a whole new trans, didn't fix it). So the next step is to figure out whether it's the wiring or the PCM. In this case, I suggest doing a “wire swap” to find the real root cause. You may need to have your dealer (or a shop) help you with this. They have a special tool for unlocking individual pins in the wiring connectors, allowing you to slide the pin (and wire) out the back side of the connector. You can pull out a couple of the pins, swap them, and reinstall the wires / pins into the "wrong" cavities in the connector. I'll assume you have (or can get) the wiring pinout information (how the pins in each connector are numbered, and which pins are for which circuits). If not, let me know....

1. Swap the wire that controls the LR solenoid with one that controls one of the other solenoids (such as MS). Swap the wires at BOTH ENDS of the harness. So now the wire that used to carry the LR solenoid current is carrying the MS solenoid, and vice versa. Now drive the vehicle and see which fault sets. If you now get an MS Solenoid Circuit fault (P2706), then the problem must be the wire.

2. If you still get the original (LR) fault (P0750), then (assuming, as noted above, that it's not the solenoid), it must be the PCM.

Hope that helps....
Old 06-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Transengineer, thank you. It does help. I had seen the procedure you listed here and elsewhere, and have followed through and it was definitely the pcm, which got swapped and programmed yesterday. It's nice to have it feel normal again.
Of course this has yielded a new issue, that being that while the check engine light is gone and driving is smooth again, the ABS light is now flashing. I am willing to bet that it is a sensor, but I am going to have to get it back on the dealer's machine to read the ABS module to be certain.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just as a follow-up: The ABS light was a calibration issue and has been fixed.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Nazareth58 is on a distinguished road
Default Help

I have an early 2006 1500 with a 5.7 which had to be replaced at 89000 miles and now 1200 miles later the transmission is gone. Schedule B maintenance was religiously followed and I am beside my self as $11000.00 in three weeks is ridiculous. This is the first time I have ever posted on anything so I hope I am in the right spot. I have over 200000 miles in a number of 2006 Ram Hemis but I have never seen anything die the way this truck is at 90000 miles. Any suggestions from anybody, other than burn the truck (I can't afford enough gas to do the deed), is appreciated.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Holy cow, my friend. I am a relative noob and as such, do not possess the knowledge base to even begin to approach your needs, but I would recommend starting a new thread (and making a newbie post) in the appropriate areas (there is a "newbie post" area, and the issues with the truck would probably fall under this one, at least) so that others with more experience are likely to see it and can more quickly address your questions and help troubleshoot.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Other infos that will be needed include:
Is it the engine that was completely replaced @ 89000
What exactly is the transmission doing (i.e. codes and/or descriptions)
Was it purchased new
etc.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Yes, exactly.... what is the transmission doing (or not doing)? Do you have any fault codes?