DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light
Default 250hp and 263 Torque

Had mine on a DynoJet chassis dyno today,and came away impressed.
It made 250hp and 263 for torque at our 4400ft altitude.
Mods to date are a custom knife edged and ported throttle body
Intake manifold inlet ported to match throttle body
Magnaflow Catback dual exhuast (wrapped from cats back to mid pipe with header wrap to keep some heat in the system to help generate some lost torque from the dual exhuast)
Airraid CAI modified with a clear top cover (AKA S&B style cover) fed with a 3" ram air tube to the front bumper
Diablo T-1000 Trinity (my on-going nightmare) running the 93 octane tune
180F Jet Thermostat
Stock tranny thermostat has been removed,tranny now runs between 160 and 165F
285/60/17 rear tires.
Redline snythetic oil in motor and rear diff
Have to admit i was impressed,even the dyno guys who'd never ran a 4.7 Ram before said it was pretty impressive for 287 cubes
It might be a touch lean as it ran between 12.8 and 13.00 on A/F,but not enough to ever worry about.
The Diablo tuner has been nothing but a nightmare,but it does make power.
If the damn thing wasn't such a nightmare to get installed and sorta working right,i'd be reconmending the Trinity,but as it stands,if you're buying a Diablo tuner,i'd go for the Intune.
My Trinity still has issues with turning my dash lights and gauges on and off if you don't unplug it.
Rick

Last edited by Hornet; 08-09-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Wow that is pretty good for the 4.7L. Higher than I'd expect. Honestly man, if you can ever get a SC I'd go for it. You'll gain some power over the diablo (canned tune vs canned tune).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

That's my preferance too Sean.
If or when Superchips comes out with their tuner,i'll be springing for one.
Considering that's uncorrected at 4400ft,i was impressed.
I put it on the dyno,thinking if it made 220 at the tires i'd be happy,i started smiling when it ran to back to back pulls and both were slightly over 250hp and 263 lbs/ft.
Temp was 75.45F and humidity was 19%,air pressure was fairly high for us at 26.92in-Hg,so it was a good day for dyno'ing.
It made over 250 lbs/ft from 3500 to 4800,peaked for horse power at 5700,but it didn't start to fall off till it was past 6,000.
Got the shift points set at 6200 ,lol
First 4.7 these guys had ever had on the dyno,and they were impressed too.
I felt really good when even the radical BB toys were struggling to get much past 450,lol
Thinking it needs a set of 4.10's to replace the 3.55's and maybe a 2800 stall convertor now
Old 08-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd caution you on the converter. You lose top end pull and that's really what these 4.7L's have going for them. I had a ~2800 rpm stall and it jumped right off the line but I could feel the loss in pull through mid and upper rpms. I was actually running slower 0-60 second times with the converter vs the stock converter. IIRC the stock converter is already a fairly high stall(for oem) at something like 2400rpm stall. I swapped back to stock converter and like it better, it pulls really hard again. I do miss being able to smoke the tires, but oh well.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

When my hemi was new it put down 262 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with weather corrected factor. Now with cam, Vararam and running right off the cut outs, it put down 293 at 6100 rpms and max tq 277rw/ft lbs at 4800 rpms. It's fast enough to beat stock F body Firebirds/Camaros in the eighth mile., without spraying nitrous. So, pretty impressive for a small motor. Wonder how it compares to a new Pentastar V6?
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 PM

For basically a stock 4.7,it did make my day that's for sure
I hung around the dyno for a fair bit of the day,just to see if the portable dyno was reading on the high side,but after watching some pretty healthy cars just barely making 450 at the tires,i thought the dyno might even be on the low side.

I wonder what the Pentstar would do with a tune too.
I know one with 3.21 gears and the 8 speed kicks my rear for the first couple hundred ft,after that i can run him down,but that stump pulling first gear in the 8 speed is tough to beat.
Rick
Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 PM

Forgot to add,there's also a Moroso Catch Can on the truck.
4.7's definitely should have one in my opinion.
I drain mine fairly often,usually twice a oil change,and always get an ounce or more of oil out of it
Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 AM

I don't know how accurate a Diablo Trinity is on 1/4 mile timing,but i had mine out early this morning to play with,and the little truck cranked off 2 back to back 15.94's one at 91.5 mph,the second one at 92mph.
I was figuring i'd be happy if it ran mid 16's,so the pair of 15.94's left me smiling.
That's done at about 3700 ft of altitude too.
If i was to DA correct it,it's probably in the high 14's.
Little truck also rolled up 216 kmh's wide open,or right around 135mph.
Gotta say for 287 cubes,the little motors are impressive when you add a tuner to them

Gonna phone tomorrow and see what it'll cost me to get it dyno tuned now,lol
Rick
Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport Crewcab
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SteveLNew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
When my hemi was new it put down 262 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with weather corrected factor. Now with cam, Vararam and running right off the cut outs, it put down 293 at 6100 rpms and max tq 277rw/ft lbs at 4800 rpms. It's fast enough to beat stock F body Firebirds/Camaros in the eighth mile., without spraying nitrous. So, pretty impressive for a small motor. Wonder how it compares to a new Pentastar V6?

At 1st I was like, whatever, then thinking about how the last F-Body was built 12 years ago, I guess it's possible. \

I've owned 7 Firebirds & Trans Ams now, my latest was a 2002, Ram Air. Stock running 13.2's. After a program, CIA, ported throttle boddy, and a better exhaust I was pulling mid 12's. (12.53) That may not sound that great, but the most impressive part was I was still getting around 28 MPG's... It was great driving my car to the track and driving it home. Not to mention the LS had way more to offer if you wanted to spend money on cam's heads ect.

I will say so far I'm very impressed with the Hemi. Although I have a 4X4 Crewcab, it does have a lot of power, and I'm sure there is lot's more in there wanting to get out.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Did a comparision against my buddies 2012 4X4 QC this afternoon.
Felt pretty good afterwards,lol.
By no stretch did i beat him but it was a lot closer then i thought it'd be.
His truck has 3.92 gears (compared to my 3.55's) /S&B CAI with the extra scoop,a highly polished /knife edged ported throttle body,and a Magnaflow muffler.
Out of the hole to 50mph he could put about 2 lengths on me with his 3.92's,from 50 to 80mph he could only do a length.
I'm chocker block full of fuel,while he's well under a 1/2 tank,so if the fuel levels were swapped,and i was under a 1/2 tank too,i think the 50 to 80 run might be only a fender.
I hated this damn little bugger when i first bought,thought it was a gutless wonder,but now not so much,lol.