DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2500 & 1500 laramies
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Stone White / Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
pcasso87 is on a distinguished road
Default Hid Problems??

i decided to install some 5000k hids for my headlights and fogs. Since the first night a friend who sells hids installed them the problems began... First my right one failed and he replaced the ballast saying it was faulty at no cost. About 4 days went by and it dies on me again, this time i was in a trip so i stopped at a shop and bought another ballast so i could make the trip back home because i had to drive at night. The ballast i had installed at the other shop was another brand different from the one my friend sells, it worked perfect and got me back home so i decided to leave it in there. The next night it decides not to work again it will flicker as if it was going to turn on and then dies completely , i dont understand it seems as if the right headlight loves to kill my ballasts!!! Any ideas what might be causing this??? Its weird because its the only one with that problem it all ready went through two sets of different brand ballasts!!! and i just saw some condensation in the right headlight as well could it be possessed by a headlight demon??

No but seriously what could be causing this??? Its only the right headlight that seems to have the problems.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

The computers in these trucks make it an aboslute nightmare to install HID's. The computer does not have enough power to start the HID, it has enough to run it but the current spike when turning on is too much for the computer. If the ballast doesn't get enough power at start up that will happen, it will flicker and shut off. What you need to do is install a two relay's, one for each side. That way the power will come directly from the battery and still be triggered by the headlight output. Oh, and you will also need to install a resistor for each headlight output because the computer will think you have a bulb out. Here is a link to people haveing the same issues.

HID ISSUES
Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
09bighorn is on a distinguished road

I just want to add my 2 cents to this thread. I put a set of "ebay" HID's into my truck. I have the 2 headlight system. It is wired directly battery and has a harness. It plugs into the LF headlight socket, I taped up the rf hradlight socket just to keep the water out. I don't have any of these problems. I have a bizenon kit, the bulbs move to get me high beams. They do have a slow warm up, about ten seconds when it is very cold, and that might be why they dont have any problems. Just wanted to let you know that this is possible without too many headaches. Good luck!!!!